Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#146307 - 08/28/08 11:21 AM Well, here comes Hanna...
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Having dodged the Gustav bullet (I hope), it looks like a new storm is building and heading our way. This one looks to be a doosey, and with me having to head for Denver this weekend, I think I am going to pop smoke and send my daughter home early as well. She will hopefully finish her dives this weekend, and I will see about bumping her flight up to Monday or Tuesday.

It's crazy, but I think I am developing a hurricane sense. I kinda knew we would get hit with Fay, but it wouldn't be a gully whumper for us (though the rain has made problems for many here). I also kinda knew that Gustav wasn't going to be our problem either, but this new one, I got a baaaad feeling about this one. When I look at it on the tracker, I feel like I am looking down the wrong end of a shotgun barrel.

I've left the house all boarded up, so all I was waiting for was the kid to finish her cert. Now that she's getting that finished, I either have to leave her with some old salty natives here, or else bug her out and send her home three weeks earlier than planned. Of course, when we made our initial plans, I was going to be staying here until October, but now that I am gone, my neck hairs are up just thinking about leaving her here without me.

Interesting decision. What would the rest of you do?

#146309 - 08/28/08 11:45 AM Re: Well, here comes TD 8... [Re: benjammin]
Themalemutekid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
Better safe than sorry, I'd bump up her flight... good luck & be safe.

#146313 - 08/28/08 12:05 PM Re: Well, here comes TD 8... [Re: benjammin]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
A guy with your level of experiences should definately listen to your gut. Up and out of there, my friend. Up and out.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#146321 - 08/28/08 01:19 PM Re: Well, here comes TD 8... [Re: benjammin]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
I'd have to agree with the others, I'd send her home. There's a line of storms queueing up out there in the Atlantic.

#146322 - 08/28/08 01:30 PM Re: Well, here comes TD 8... [Re: benjammin]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Yup, off she goes. You aren't gonna be there with her anyway, so why be worrying yourself sick???

#146332 - 08/28/08 02:15 PM Re: Well, here comes TD 8... [Re: ]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
What if you were the parent / guardian across the country, would you want your child to be boarded with a non-parent and also put at risk of a hurricane, while your "ex" makes a buck out of state?

If something happened and you were not there, despite your best intentions and preparations, how would it feel to deliver that explanation to the other parent / guardian / court?

Not even a close call. Send her home with great memories ready to visit you again. Maybe in the circumstances you can negotiate for some more time later.

Edit: I see on another thread that your daughter is 19. She is old enough to be in the loop and have a say in the matter. And clearly her other parent / guardian should have input. I suggest a three-way conversation is in order. You decide if you think she should leave or stay and listen to what the others have to say. If you are clear she should go, then do not facilitate her staying and be insistent. But start getting ready to not have it your way!

Edited by dweste (08/28/08 02:25 PM)

#146367 - 08/28/08 05:28 PM Re: Well, here comes TD 8... [Re: dweste]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
It is a pitch and yaw maneuver today. I am still leaning towards evac. I told her at lunch it was up to her if she wanted to stay, and she said she would rather leave with me gone. Then her dive instructor says if they can't dive on Saturday, she won't get cert here and would have to finish her dive once she got home, which is a low probability.

That kinda sucks. Damned weather.

#146370 - 08/28/08 05:34 PM Re: Well, here comes TD 8... [Re: benjammin]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Very synchronistic that you made this post. TD8 is now Tropical Storm Hannah. I agree with the others, if anything happens to your DD, then you would have no defense before the "long green table" and I think you will understand what I mean.

My DD2 is now 20 and engaged. Her fiance has to stay on campus in Baton Rouge and work damage control with LSU. She was torn between going home to "momma" or staying with him. She felt family obligations. My DW and I have both told her that it is her decision but her rightful place now is with him unless he tells her to go.This felt very odd to both my DW and to myself.

They are both intelligent and regularly exercise common sense. Their BoB's are packed, along with extra bottled water, weps/ammo, and their bikes (secondary stage vehicles). They have made allowances to care for their cat.

It feels strange letting go from a parental viewpoint.

#146405 - 08/28/08 09:52 PM Re: Well, here comes Hanna... [Re: benjammin]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Hmmmm... Being a mench and a worrier, I understand with the "pack her up" theory, and agree the if there is a doubt, there is no doubt- get out.

But, she's you kid Ben, and she is 19- I can't believe she going to ignore a situation when getting out is a good idea. You've spoken with her about plan B, staying and if need be holing up on her own, why you don't like. What was her plan C? Perhaps she stays until Sunday, then takes a red eye out? That gets her out of the way, and with her qualification dive. Or maybe there is a land route that can be use if it must?

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#146416 - 08/28/08 11:17 PM Re: Well, here comes TD 8... [Re: dweste]
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
When in doubt,
Bug Out.

Trust your gut. You didn't become a grey-beard by luck alone.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 353 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.