Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#144712 - 08/19/08 07:22 AM Fishing line & hooks in survival kits
firefly99 Offline
Journeyman

Most of the survival kits on the market, do include fishing line & hooks. Which I believe is a good idea.

I had just started fishing as a hobby and are still learning my knots, lines, hooks, sinkers, etc. After several fishing trips, I was looking at survival kits. When I realised that only a few very tiny hooks are included and the fishing line is usally 10 /30 feets.

The length of fishing line seem to be too short to be of any practical use. Based on my limited experience, I guess a lenght of 100 metres may be more practical.

I understand the logic that "small hook may catch big fish but big hook cannot catch small fish". A big fish may be so strong that it will straighten a small hook and escaped.

I think including a fishing rod and reel may not be possible in a survival kit. But a handline with 100 metres of 20lbs line and a dozen hooks for each of several size may be feasible. I am sure such a setup will greatly increase the change of landing a fish of suitable size.

Just my 2cents for a better survival kit.

Edited by firefly99 (08/19/08 07:27 AM)

#144716 - 08/19/08 08:58 AM Re: Fishing line & hooks in survival kits [Re: firefly99]
bigreddog Offline
Enthusiast

I agree that if you carry one it should be up to the task.

But can anyone point me to a genuine survival situation on land when the survivors have been fishing or needed a fishing kit?

I just don't see it as being very likely in reality

#144717 - 08/19/08 09:08 AM Re: Fishing line & hooks in survival kits [Re: bigreddog]
firefly99 Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: bigreddog
I agree that if you carry one it should be up to the task.

But can anyone point me to a genuine survival situation on land when the survivors have been fishing or needed a fishing kit?

I just don't see it as being very likely in reality
The recent flood in Burma.

#144719 - 08/19/08 09:25 AM Re: Fishing line & hooks in survival kits [Re: firefly99]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
Depending on the size of the survival kit, I think you're right that longer and stronger line and more hooks will get you more food. Plus it would give you the option of setting up a trot line. More like trapping then hunting. For a smaller kit, I would still include more then ten to thirty feet, 100 at least. For the same reasons. Also, in a small kit, if you can make the fishing line and the thread the same, you can eliminate an item. Not very fine thread, but needles come in all sizes and field repairs can have Frankenstein stitches as long as they hold.

#144720 - 08/19/08 10:26 AM Re: Fishing line & hooks in survival kits [Re: bigreddog]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
To include/exclude a fishing kit seems to be one of those perennial debate's. If your simply stuck overnight then no. If it looks like you have to self rescue then yes, most definitely. In that case 40' of line and 20 hooks seems to be advocated by most experts. Along with a couple of jigs.

The line should (preferably) be a braided one, like Spyderwire. Hooks have other uses beyond catching fish. Like catching small game such as birds or lizards. Line can be triggering trap's etc.
So personally? Yes I would include it.

#144722 - 08/19/08 10:41 AM Re: Fishing line & hooks in survival kits [Re: firefly99]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Well, Burma was more than just a flood, and is a long term kit. For a larger stock, yes, having more tackle and line makes sense, but a gill net is your best bet.

For a small kit, the biggest purpose of a fishing kit... *looks around* C'mere... *motions firefly closer* Don't tell anyone, but *whispers* in a PSK, the biggest role of a fishing kit is to keep you out of trouble and near a clear spot where air search can find you in the first three days.

For that role, little hooks and 8 pound mono line is fine. Besides, you are more likely to get <3 pound fish. You KNOW those are in any healthy pond or stream. I stick a tiny fishing module in small kits, along with about 30' of 12# braided specta, which is similar in thickness to 8# mono and doesn't have the memory. That's enough to get out a few set poles, or rig a trotline with assistance of a sapling or a bit of paracord. To give you some scale, that prototype is with a 2x2" ziplock.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#144724 - 08/19/08 11:14 AM Re: Fishing line & hooks in survival kits [Re: ironraven]
BillLiptak Offline
Enthusiast

Ron Propeil pocket pro fisherman anyone?

-Bill Liptak

#144728 - 08/19/08 12:24 PM Re: Fishing line & hooks in survival kits [Re: firefly99]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Hi Firefly99,

The NATO Survival Fishing kit NSN: 4220-99-138-8693 is a good starting point for a survival fishing kit.

The USMC survival kit is also excellent; http://www.donrearic.com/milfishkit.htm

This is one I made up myself using a few spare bits of tackle and line.

#144733 - 08/19/08 12:40 PM Re: Fishing line & hooks in survival kits [Re: ]
CityBoyGoneCountry Offline
Enthusiast

My fishing experience has taught me that you almost never come home with the same number of hooks that you left with.

Hooks are extremely lightweight and don't take up much space at all. I see no reason not to bring more than you think you might need, just in case. I have approximately 200 hooks, ranging from very small for panfish to very large for catfish.

The same applies to line. Several hundred yards of braided fishing line wrapped around a pencil weighs virtually nothing, so why not have it?

I also have a fishing rod in my BOB. Nothing fancy. Just a simple five and a half foot, two piece rod. Each piece is less than three feet long. It sticks out the top of my pack, but that's fine. I can do far more with a proper rod than I could with a stick or a can. You won't see anyone winning a Bassmaster tournament with a piece of driftwood. And survival is the most important of all fishing tournaments.

Finally, I also have an assortment of metal and plastic lures.

#144735 - 08/19/08 12:42 PM Re: Fishing line & hooks in survival kits [Re: ]
Angel Offline

My survival fishing kit is all on my hat. I have a straw cowboy hat that I took the hatband off of. I took a small spool of firewire, I think it's about 25lb test. I wound it around where the hatband was and connected it in the back with reusable sinkers, to keep it from getting it tangled I put about 5 snap swivels on the line all the way around. On the inside of the hat band I put various sized hooks and taped them down. I put the hat band back on , covering the fishing line. On the front, I took a couple of feathered jigs and a small snap swivel and attatched them. It looks good and I have enough fishing supplies to actually do some good and it doesn't take up any room.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 460 Guests and 72 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.