Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#144178 - 08/14/08 09:34 PM A Different Kind of Survival Strategy - Lesson Lea
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

I tend to focus on the gear and technological aspects of survival, but occasionally we touch on the all-important mental considerations. I was reminded this week that sometimes survival planning also involves making sure you’ve adequately prepared for even the most unsatisfactory circumstances, not surviving.

www.equipped.org/blog/?p=87
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#144181 - 08/14/08 09:40 PM Re: A Different Kind of Survival Strategy - Lesson Lea [Re: Doug_Ritter]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Good one, Doug. Sorry it came to mind they way it did. Condolances.

Consider joining AARP. They offer through cooperating attorneys the full range of legal planning and documents at a drastically reduced fixed rate - typically less than $50 for each document in California. I believe so long as one member of the immediate family is a member, that the rates apply to each of the members of the immediate family. So, check it out and if you or someone close is 50 or older, and can find $10 to join ....

Edited by dweste (08/14/08 09:41 PM)

#144184 - 08/14/08 10:10 PM Re: A Different Kind of Survival Strategy - Lesson Lea [Re: dweste]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Originally Posted By: dweste

Consider joining AARP. They offer through cooperating attorneys the full range of legal planning and documents at a drastically reduced fixed rate - typically less than $50 for each document in California. I believe so long as one member of the immediate family is a member, that the rates apply to each of the members of the immediate family. So, check it out and if you or someone close is 50 or older, and can find $10 to join ....

Mr. Ritter, please accept my condolences for your and your family's loss. As always, you give us sound advice. Thank you.

By the way, I'll match the AARP price for advance medical directives (living wills), designation of a healthcare surrogate, durable power of attorney and aimple wills, for members of this forum who are in Florida. This is within my particular field as a healthcare attorney, and I will do more than simply filling out a standard set of forms for you.

I don't mean this as advertising, but just as a favor for friends who have done a lot to help me. If there is any doubt whether this offer is appropriate, I request that a moderator remove it immediately. Thank you.

Jeff

#144185 - 08/14/08 10:15 PM Re: A Different Kind of Survival Strategy - Lesson [Re: Jeff_M]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Jeff_McCann
Originally Posted By: dweste

Mr. Ritter, please accept my condolences for your and your family's loss. As always, you give us sound advice. Thank you.

By the way, I'll match the AARP price for advance medical directives (living wills), designation of a healthcare surrogate, durable power of attorney and aimple wills, for members of this forum who are in Florida. This is within my particular field as a healthcare attorney, and I will do more than simply filling out a standard set of forms for you.

I don't mean this as advertising, but just as a favor for friends who have done a lot to help me. If there is any doubt whether this offer is appropriate, I request that a moderator remove it immediately. Thank you.

Jeff

Thanks and thanks for a very generous offer to the forum members in Florida.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#144187 - 08/14/08 10:25 PM Re: A Different Kind of Survival Strategy - Lesson Lea [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Bill_G Offline
Journeyman

Doug,

My condolences.

Preparation helped my mother when she lost her husband suddenly, as well as when my girlfriend died after a long illness. The impact on the families was significantly lessened because of their forethought.

Bill

#144190 - 08/14/08 10:42 PM Re: A Different Kind of Survival Strategy - Lesson Lea [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Joy Offline
Journeyman

Doug, my condolences also.

I am going through a similar situation right now. My stepfather is dying of cancer that has spread through his body. I will be going up to Oregon next week to help out. Hospice came out yesterday to assess the situation. He only has a few weeks to go.

I think they are AARP members already. Thank you, Dweste, for that information also.

Thank you for sharing, Doug.

Joy

#144193 - 08/14/08 11:05 PM Re: A Different Kind of Survival Strategy - Lesson Lea [Re: Doug_Ritter]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
My condolences to you and your family, Doug. These are events that we all must go through and it is our family and extended family (friends) that get us through the times.

Your family will be in my prayers!

Bo

#144194 - 08/14/08 11:27 PM Re: A Different Kind of Survival Strategy - Lesson Lea [Re: wildman800]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Sorry about your family's loss.

A word to others out there: if you decide to start making a living will, make sure you understand the legalities in your area about when it does and doesn't apply.

For example, here in Orange County, CA, there's a prehospital EMS DNR form. If you don't have that, you're out of luck. Hospital DNR's don't count, and living wills don't either.

Also, many hospitals won't honor forms from different facilities.

#144219 - 08/15/08 02:27 AM Re: A Different Kind of Survival Strategy - Lesson [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Doug_Ritter
I tend to focus on the gear and technological aspects of survival, but occasionally we touch on the all-important mental considerations. I was reminded this week that sometimes survival planning also involves making sure you’ve adequately prepared for even the most unsatisfactory circumstances, not surviving.

Having the bases covered for these eventualities makes a lot of sense and takes a considerable amount of sting out of an otherwise stressful time.

Most communities have legal advice and assistance available on a low or no-cost service. Some lawyers will advise you of the applicable laws and help fill out the appropriate forms as a community service.

Many hospitals have legal services departments that can help if brought in ahead of time. These lawyers are possibly the most up to date and well informed on the subject and know how to work the system toward any desired outcome in what can be a very complicated area of the law.

The AARP has information and forms available and does some good work in informing the public as to the options and legalities on end of life issues. They deserve credit for that. But I personally can't really recommend anyone join the AARP. Because they are, in essence, an insurance company that caters to people over 50 by organizing and selectively lobbying for them as a way to endear themselves to potential a lucrative customer base.

[Political commentary deleted by Moderator]

Edited by Doug_Ritter (08/15/08 03:00 AM)
Edit Reason: Political comentary

#144226 - 08/15/08 03:29 AM Re: A Different Kind of Survival Strategy - Lesson [Re: Art_in_FL]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL
Most communities have legal advice and assistance available on a low or no-cost service. Some lawyers will advise you of the applicable laws and help fill out the appropriate forms as a community service.

Many hospitals have legal services departments that can help if brought in ahead of time. These lawyers are possibly the most up to date and well informed on the subject and know how to work the system toward any desired outcome in what can be a very complicated area of the law.

Please allow me to respectfully disagree, in part. Low cost or free legal services are often excellent, if you can find them. They often use a sliding scale fee based on income, and please don't think the quality of legal services available there is necessarily less than that available at some high dollar firm. Often, they are far better than some junior associate that you might see at such a firm.

But, as for hospital legal departments, I'd think there may be a potential conflict of interest there. Health care institutions aren't generally in the business of providing legal advice to the public or patients. Their attorneys are ethically bound to represent the interests of their employers only. So I would not count on them for legal advice, and I disagree that they are likely to be the most proficient in this particular area of law, judging by some of the work product I've seen. Moreover, I'd like to hear of it if any hospital is providing such legal advice to patients.

However, hospitals usually do have forms available, without advice, for patients to use. Often, the forms available from various sources can entirely meet the needs of some folks, but sometimes not. I haven't looked at many of the on-line sources lately, but I'm told some of them are excellent, as are some from elder or medically oriented charities. Heresy, I know, but you don't actually need a lawyer for everything.

Also, please be aware that no one can be compelled to provide or sign any such document as a condition of medical treatment or admisssion to a hospital or nursing home. I've known occasions where patients were told or led to believe otherwise.

Nothing in my posts is intended to be legal advice, and is presented for discussion purposes only. Consult an attorney for legal advice specific to your circumstances.

Jeff

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 427 Guests and 48 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.