Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#143522 - 08/10/08 09:29 PM to stay home or to go?
mountainboy Offline

Loc: northeast alabama
my big ? to yall is .do i build a safe place on my land to protect my family.i have a spring , i kmow the land very well as far as hunting fishing ,ways to get around .or would i be wasten my time .any ideas .i live in northeast al .dont know about any bomb stuff like chemical or nuc .i was mainly think of dog eat dog hard times or war .witch i figure are comin before long .inless yall know about any chem or nuc threats for my area [northeast al. ]??thanks

#143527 - 08/10/08 10:02 PM Re: to stay home or to go? [Re: mountainboy]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
I don’t know what is coming down the road. But if you think it’s going to be a long term event, I would say having a base (your home) is going to be better for you and your family then being a nomad with limited supplies.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#143528 - 08/10/08 10:02 PM Re: to stay home or to go? [Re: mountainboy]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
IMO, you're better off planning to stay where you are if TSHTF than leaving.

That said, develop 2 Bug Out plans "just in case".

IMO, You need to get familiar with CBR warfare with the emphasis on the Radiological since you live near many nuke reactors.

#143530 - 08/10/08 10:14 PM Re: to stay home or to go? [Re: wildman800]
Themalemutekid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
Short answer: Staying put is most always gonna be your best bet, unless your home is in immediate danger of being flooded or burnt in a fire.

#143533 - 08/10/08 10:35 PM Re: to stay home or to go? [Re: wildman800]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
+1 to that Wildman.

There is no place like home. Unless home is coming apart.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#143553 - 08/10/08 11:39 PM Re: to stay home or to go? [Re: mountainboy]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
You need to have a shelter-in-place kit and an evacuation plan. Having out-of-state relatives is convenient, keep emails, etc. Forget about hunting and fishing in a nuclear emergency, the environment will be contaminated... Keep a radio to listen to the authorities. Listen to what people have to say, it's a good habit to have in life in general. And don't buy potassium iodine, it's more complex than we might think. It's not a magic pill for sure. I forgot all the details, but just believe me. I do remember that you have more chances of having an allergic reaction than anything else, and that it's not safe on young children and pregnant women, and that it only prevents thyroid cancer on certain types of nuclear emergencies...

Good luck...

Frankie

#143580 - 08/11/08 02:18 AM Re: to stay home or to go? [Re: ironraven]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Plus, you don't have to carry Bug In Stuff around on your back...

#143590 - 08/11/08 02:40 AM Re: to stay home or to go? [Re: Frankie]
red Offline

Originally Posted By: Frankie
And don't buy potassium iodine, it's more complex than we might think. It's not a magic pill for sure. I forgot all the details, but just believe me. I do remember that you have more chances of having an allergic reaction than anything else, and that it's not safe on young children and pregnant women, and that it only prevents thyroid cancer on certain types of nuclear emergencies...

Frankie

Well stated! People get this idea that if you just take iodide, you are somehow protected from ionizing radiation. Chernobyl was a good example of many different radionuclides being released into the atmosphere. Iodide would only protect you from radioactive iodine (can't remember the number after it, medical is I131...) So, listen to the radio, and have a SAFE ROOM. This, I believe is very important. Remember you have to have positive pressure (a fan) to keep it working. Avoiding the inhalation of radioactive dust is the most important thing. Avoiding ingesting the radioactive dust is the next most important.

#143615 - 08/11/08 11:03 AM Re: to stay home or to go? [Re: red]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Originally Posted By: red
[quote=Frankie]
and have a SAFE ROOM. This, I believe is very important. Remember you have to have positive pressure (a fan) to keep it working.

The safe room is an important idea-thanks, Frankie.

Might be more to it than a fan.

Hospitals maintain positive pressure rooms with a unit that pulls fresh air in from outdoors, passes it through a hepa filter, and exhausts the filtered air into the room. If I want to maintain a safe room at home, I need to figure out a way to do the same. A hepa filtered vaccuum cleaner, intake hose outside the room, unit itself inside the room, might do it. A home HVAC unit with a hepa filter might do it. A box fan in the window with hepa filters duct-taped to it might do
it. Or might not. Would any of the engineer/scientists out there have any advice on this?

#143722 - 08/11/08 06:19 PM Re: to stay home or to go? [Re: NightHiker]
mountainboy Offline

Loc: northeast alabama
ok yall stay home more than likely .im more than fine with that .as far as .bombs chem or nuc how would i determin if my area is likely an if it is whitch rought to take ?if i had to go? i would prefer to float the tn river i know several miles ofit fairly well .other than that i could hide out at home very well im far out in the country.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Eugene), 241 Guests and 95 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Today at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.