Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#140725 - 07/22/08 04:28 AM EDC--On a Cruise
suertetres Offline
Stranger

I just got back from a cruise-(wishing i was still there!)and in packing, i was faced with a dilema of packing- what i can take and what i can't.

Since my wife and I fell in love with cruising, what are things that you would/could and have take?

#140731 - 07/22/08 05:57 AM Re: EDC--On a Cruise [Re: suertetres]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Aside from cruise-line specific guidelines, will you need to comply with TSA rules for airflight to the port city?

#140737 - 07/22/08 09:55 AM Re: EDC--On a Cruise [Re: dweste]
BillLiptak Offline
Enthusiast

Me and the misses got back from a cruise in April. I took along my maxpedition colossus and carried with me the following items:
SAK-deluxe tinkerer (20 bucks at the local Wal-Mart, if I have to ditch it, no heart breaks)
Purell hand sanitizer (2oz)
2 Dozen ez-wipes (individual packages)
Sunscreen, both spray on and creme (misses is very fair skinned and burns easily)
Bottle of Advil (small size)
Bottle of pepto (4oz I think)
Small sewing kit (Raines military sewing kit)
Inova XO led light
Doug Ritter's designed PSK (overkill maybe, but weighs practically nothing and if I go overboard with out the vest I have a whistle and signal mirror)
One set of spare batteries for everything
That's basically what comes to mind, fair warning.....check the local laws concerning knives where you go. I went to the Bahamas, which being a British Commonwealth meant sub 3" knives that could not lock, so my swiss army knife was ok. In Mexico knives are not allowed. Period. I found it wise to put the SAK on my keychain for the cruise-right out in the open so they could flag it right off the bat if they wanted to. Figured it was easier to hoof it back to the truck if need be rather than have to ditch it.

-Bill Liptak

#140743 - 07/22/08 12:26 PM Re: EDC--On a Cruise [Re: BillLiptak]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
I think you should consider more than your EDC. Situation specific challenges that might arise could include failure of the cruise ship to provide adequately in any of the survival categories, plus the basic failure to keep you afloat. No EDC is going to be able to address all these challenges, so perhaps your luggage might include something in the nature of a maritime-adapted BOB

You are placing your life in the hands of the cruise line in many ways. Bug out is probably not a realistic option for most of the cruise, for example. But with well thought out EDC and BOB-type luggage you could be prepared to “bug in,” on the ship, or onshore

A cruise would seem to offer just another environment for the same old survival preparedness challenges. If you are serious, then examine your kit against the Rule of Threes (you may die if you go: 3 minutes without air, 3 hours without shelter, 3 days without water, 3 weeks without food). And then I suggest checking to see if you have gear in each of whatever survival categories you salute; at this time mine include First Aid, Shelter, Fire, Water, Food, Navigation, Light, Signaling, Self-protection, Hygiene, and Morale.

Manmade restrictions on gear in an EDC or BOB would include at least the cruise line gear prohibitions, TSA gear restrictions if air flight is involved, and as Bill Liptak pointed out, the restrictions of various countries you will be visiting. Lots of homework is in order; hopefully the cruise line provides adequate guidelines. You might also check online for the State Department guidelines and travel advisories, and by phone or online with the relevant U.S. embassy, consulate, or whatever couldn’t hurt.

Also, you will be in close quarters with a lot of unprepared people who could be pretty desperate in a survival situation. You probably want to keep your preparations secret, perhaps even from your traveling companions.

#140757 - 07/22/08 01:28 PM Re: EDC--On a Cruise [Re: suertetres]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Good question. We are going on a cruise in Sept, I will pay special attention to this thread...

#140758 - 07/22/08 01:28 PM Re: EDC--On a Cruise [Re: dweste]
GarlyDog Offline
ô¿ô
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
IMO, increase your survival odds and cruise enjoyment by getting a cabin with a balcony. Below waterline / porthole cabins seem like death traps to me.

Edited by GarlyDog (07/22/08 01:29 PM)

#140760 - 07/22/08 01:30 PM Re: EDC--On a Cruise [Re: BillLiptak]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
First cruise we went on, we went thru a metal detector, and anything we were carrying went thru an airport type x-ray gizmo. Did you, and if so, did your cruise line pay any attention to the SAK???

#140763 - 07/22/08 01:37 PM Re: EDC--On a Cruise [Re: OldBaldGuy]
GarlyDog Offline
ô¿ô
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
In my experience, if you got it through the airport, you will be able to get it on the ship.

#140768 - 07/22/08 01:59 PM Re: EDC--On a Cruise [Re: GarlyDog]
BillLiptak Offline
Enthusiast

OBG, we sailed on Carnival Cruise and we did have to go thru a metal detecter and out belongings were sent thru an x-ray machine. Or should I say our carry on things, I have no idea what protocalls were in place for our "checked" luggage. I took my keychain that had my SAK and gerber infinity on it out of my pocket, right in front of one of their screeners and placed it in the tray to go thru the x-ray. He didn't say anything, no alarms went off as it went thru.....
Picked it up when it came out the other side and headed into the terminal.
I was very happy, and releived. As a creature of habit I haven't been without a pocket knife since about the 3rd grade. Back then it was a Schrade three bladed pen knife. By the time I hit 6th it was a SAK, scout model. Although I carry a 4" folder now for self defence as well as heavy chore cutting at the plant and don't like to be without one, without a simple SAK I feel naked, like a fish outta water. Just can't do it without the fact that I have nothing to cut with gnawing at my brain......

-Bill Liptak

#140835 - 07/22/08 07:35 PM Re: EDC--On a Cruise [Re: BillLiptak]
frediver Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: N.Cal.
For our Alaskan cruise I packed up a German SAK and small PSK
minus matches all in our checked bags. When we were on the ship
I removed and carried the items with us on all shore excursions without any problem, it was still the USA.
I have been told and personal observation confirms it that items brought on ship in open bags might be confiscated and held to trip end IF however these same items are in a closed purse or zipped backpack they go right thru the detectors. The items are still seen but ship personal are not allowed to open personal bags. I would not stretch this to pack an axe, machete, or
firearm tho, liquor, pocket knifes and lighters/matches seem to be fine. Check the purser's office for a small give away sewing kit.
AND don't forget some type of water purification tablet or equipment, supplies to last at least half of your trip.
A shipboard bug CAN happen.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (NAro), 170 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by brandtb
04/03/24 08:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.