Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#139958 - 07/17/08 07:23 AM REI First Aid Kits/Supplies
BrianB Offline

I was looking at first aid supplies/kits, with an aim to making a small kit to carry day hiking.

I noticed that REI has some kits branded under their name, as well as refill supplies (some of which may be useful in a small kit) with their brand.

I know Adventure Medical has a good reputation for their kits, but some of the REI kits have pretty decent-looking load outs. Based on the idea of getting a small kit and modifying it as needed, some of theirs are attractive.

(Note: I haven't done a side by side comparison to determine which brand is a better base kit value or even if it's worthwhile money-wise to use a kit versus just assembling one in something like a Maxpedition F-1 pouch.)

The question is: How is the quality of their components?

#139960 - 07/17/08 11:47 AM Re: REI First Aid Kits/Supplies [Re: BrianB]
Frank2135 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio, USA
Hi! I don't have any experience with the REI kits, but it's hard to go wrong by starting with any good small basic kit like the Red Cross personal kit and making those changes that experience suggests are appropriate for where you're going to be hiking. For example, this time of year in my area I'll load up on insect repellant wipes and sting/itch relief wipes in the small individual packs.

I'm not the world's biggest fan of the Red Cross and their marketing arm, but their kits are a good starting point. As I say, I can't speak from personal knowledge about REI's.

If you want something smaller but still functional, IMHO you're better off designing your own (assuming you've had at least a basic first aid course; if not, stick with the commercial kits or, better yet, take the course). I have Sucrets throat lozenge tin that I have packed with an assortment of bandages, wipes, ointments, etc., that I find easy to shove in a pocket and take with me when going ultra light is the goal.

#139973 - 07/17/08 01:17 PM Re: REI First Aid Kits/Supplies [Re: BrianB]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I almost always stock my own FAK's. I know what I want, what I use, what I might need (within reason of course), so I come up with a container I am happy with, then stock it with quality products ('specially "bandaids." I have had poor luck with dollar store type bandaids, so I always buy my favorite name brand[s])...

#139975 - 07/17/08 01:25 PM Re: REI First Aid Kits/Supplies [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

When I'm in the states, REI is the first place I go for first aid supplies. They have a great selection of individual items. Good place for pain killers if you need them in the 2-pill packets too. I think they sell Celox and/or QuickClot too.

#139985 - 07/17/08 01:43 PM Re: REI First Aid Kits/Supplies [Re: ]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

My hiking/backpacking FAK is based off REI's Daypack first aid kit... I love the kit itself and I have made some minor adjustments. I think it was only like 10 dollars too!

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#139986 - 07/17/08 01:43 PM Re: REI First Aid Kits/Supplies [Re: ]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...Good place for pain killers if you need them in the 2-pill packets too..."

Other good sources for those, if REI is not handy, are little "stop and robs," (mini-mart/gas station things), and truck stops...

#140007 - 07/17/08 02:47 PM Re: REI First Aid Kits/Supplies [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Good call OBG. I always forget about truck stops because what passes for a truck stop in Alberta is barely a gas station compared to the Interstate mega stops you Americans have.

#140127 - 07/17/08 07:49 PM Re: REI First Aid Kits/Supplies [Re: ]
BrianB Offline

Originally Posted By: climberslacker
My hiking/backpacking FAK is based off REI's Daypack first aid kit... I love the kit itself and I have made some minor adjustments. I think it was only like 10 dollars too!

I was looking at that one too, as it has a bit more stuff than the same-priced Adventure Medical kit. One question: are the bandages good quality fabric type or cheapie plastic type?

Thanks to everyone for the responses.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 429 Guests and 467 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.