Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#136126 - 06/14/08 07:20 PM Scenario: DETACHED
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Another survival scenario which I respectfully think to be more probable than being catapulted to 1000 AD.

You have been serving somwhere in Asia or Africa in humanitarian or whatever peaceful civilian cause. The area has seen political and social tensions that escalated into armed conflicts. Suddenly, a natural or man-made catastophe takes place ( huge enemy attack, flood , massive earthquake, whatever) and you find yourself ALONE, without papers or anything other than your clothes and minimum stuff.

The area is inhabited by sane and insane people, good and bad. Unfortunately you didnt have enough time to learn how to tell who is what.

You have no passport or any other papers. Many of those who knew what you were really doing (good deeds) are dead or long gone. How do you move from there ?

#136130 - 06/14/08 09:06 PM Re: Scenario: DETACHED [Re: Chisel]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

I would probably steal a car or something, and then drive up to america, were I would "sneak" back into the country, or at least drive up to were ever civilization is and have someone I trust fax me my papers...

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#136131 - 06/14/08 09:11 PM Re: Scenario: DETACHED [Re: climberslacker]
Johno Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Scotland
Head for the hills and eak out a frugal existence until help from the future arrives, Damn wrong thread wink

I think I would avoid large groups and camps, and as climberslacker said, use the confusion to pinch some wheels and head in the general direction of safety, on rough roads. Hoping to be picked up by a relief effort

#136136 - 06/14/08 11:25 PM Re: Scenario: DETACHED [Re: Chisel]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Man, this one is tougher than the poofed back in time thingy. Given your current situation, the surrounding terrain/badguys/critters, my first instinct is to jump off of the nearest cliff. Some of the BG's in both of those area would much prefer to kill you as look at you. If I bypass that instinct, I would just try to avoid contact, head in the direction I hope would lead me to "friendly" people, and pray a lot...

#136146 - 06/15/08 01:04 AM Re: Scenario: DETACHED [Re: Chisel]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Having a job which sends me to remote oil fields around the world, this topic is near and dear to my heart.

Step 1 occurs before ever leaving home. I always study maps and Google Earth views to become familiar with major roads, rail lines, rivers, towns, and airports in the area.

Step 2 is registering with the US consulate in the country I'll be in to let them know my travel/lodging plans in the counry. If something happens the US government knows I'm there. Concurrently, my boss (and more importantly, his secretary) knows all my travel plans, even if it's a personal vacation. If something happens they'll know I'm there.

Step 3 is once I get to the country I learn how to say "I am an American." in the local language (or "I am a Canadian." if the political situation suggests that might be safer).

Step 4 is find out where other non-local hang out and make contact with them.

Once the disaster hits I have to assess the situation. Is the immediate danger over (earthquake/tsunami) or is it an on-going thing like a civil war?

If it's a natural disaster then I find some supply of drinkable water and containers to carry it. This may involve boiling or filtering undersirable water. Then I head to the expate meeting area and see if anyone there has help coming. If no one there is in any better position then I then I take my water, find a tarp or sheet for shelter, a knife or at least a chunk of flat steel, and start making my way to the nearst airport/airstrip. I figure that's where help will be flown in first, plus they are usually near major roads.

Stealing a car seems like a bad idea to me. After earthquakes/hurricanes/tyhoons roads are usually messed up. Plus in third-world countries cars are usually very protected. Jacking one is a good way to end up dead.

As for good/bad people remeber that good outnumber bad. I'll be cautious but not spend my time hiding. It'll be obvious I don't have anything of value. I will keep an eye out for a group I feel comfortable in joining.

At the airstrip I try and get world out on their com equipment that there's an American here. Judging from current events, the US military will show up in a few days to begin putting the peices back together. I hook up with them and await a chance to get flown out of there.

Civil war will be in another post.

-Blast

Edited by Blast (06/15/08 01:06 AM)
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#136147 - 06/15/08 01:05 AM Re: Scenario: DETACHED [Re: OldBaldGuy]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
C'mon embassy... USMC to the rescue!

Seriously though. If I had nothing really with me, then the first thing I would do would be to LOOK like I had nothing. Make myself look poorer and more miserable than I already did. wear the biggest clothes I could find (to hide my probably healthier American body... at least initially), get dirty so it looked like I didn't have access to water or soap. walk like crazy somewhere else, hopefully safe. Don't know how much info I would have on the extent of this disaster, but hopefully I know the nearest big city or border - big city because I figure they will get more international aid and visitors, border because, well, it might be safer in another country.

Do whatever I had to do for a phone of some sort, hopefully be able to keep track of where I am. As soon as I was able, collect call anyone (unlike some people, I don't need a palm for it's phone book feature!) to let them know where I was, where I'm going, when I hope to get there, and hope like hell that my contact does what s/he can to get the diplomats moving.

I think I'd focus on water. Food can wait - after all, being in that healthy American body, I have my "insulation against famine" aka the beer gut (I'm still working on making it bigger).

#136151 - 06/15/08 02:15 AM Re: Scenario: DETACHED [Re: MDinana]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Actually I think my strategy would be not to different than the 1000AD scenario.

Like in 1000AD your not going to be at any advantage running. There isn't anywhere to run to and the locals are far more adapted to the area and conditions than you are.

Hiding might be an option but there are limits. Remaining inconspicuous and blending until you can learn enough of the political, religious or tribal situation to make some estimates of relative power, advantage and the odds of outside intervention sounds about right.

If indeed the marines are on the way then coordinate and cooperate with other ex-pats or others you think you can trust until they arrive.

If the marines are not on the way, or it will take enough time that your going to have to deal with the surrounding population to gain resources then you need to negotiate. Figure out who you want to deal with first. Because dealing with the wrong side could get you killed if they lose too quickly.

At some level your going to need to estimate the geography and relative power of the various factions. It does no good to ingratiate yourself to the strongest faction if you are completely surrounded by their rivals.

In dealing with these people your going to want to figure out what they value and what you can give them, or appear to give them. Lots of tin-pot dictators and petty thugs want credibility or recognition. They might think that if you say the right words to western governments they might gain recognition. This is not a misconception I would spend any great amount of effort to disabuse them of. But it might not be wise to promise too much. If they learn you can't get them what you promise their disappointment could be painful.

They might assume that with a good word you could get them a green card or entry visa. I don't know as I would explicitly agree but I wouldn't object too loudly if they wish to deceive themselves.

They might also assume your rich. Even if you have nothing on you. This might be a double edged sword. On one side you may be able to imply a reward for safe conduct to friendlier territory. On the other it opens up the possibility that you are held as a hostage and get mailed to uncle Bob, who is on the crack, a piece at a time. He would probably think someone signed him up for the sausage of the month club.

#136154 - 06/15/08 02:34 AM Re: Scenario: DETACHED [Re: Art_in_FL]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Try to make friends with stable people there if you can. They may be willing to help, or know where you might go, if things go down the tubes.

A woman I worked for used to be married to a diplomat who was stationed in Cyprus when TSHTF in December, 1963. They packed important stuff on their persons, wrapped up the baby, and were helped out of the country by some Canadians they had met.

Keep your important stuff with you. You may not be able to get to your hotel/camp/vehicle.

Sue

#136156 - 06/15/08 03:14 AM Re: Scenario: DETACHED [Re: Susan]
NeighborBill Offline
Enthusiastic
Enthusiast

Loc: Oklahoma City
+20 star sword on that. Sue, you have hit the proverbial nail on the head.

Edited by billy.guttery (06/15/08 03:15 AM)
Edit Reason: I don't look like this anymore :O

#136166 - 06/15/08 04:43 AM Re: Scenario: DETACHED [Re: NeighborBill]
PackRat Offline
Journeyman

It may also be advisable to be aware of local religious organizations that may be Westerner friendly. They often have a lot of experience dealing with and avoiding unfriendly groups and getting people out of the country.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 386 Guests and 32 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.