Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#130519 - 04/19/08 01:01 AM Rusty's Current EDC setup with PICS!!
Rusty Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: College Station, Texas
Howdy All!!

I thought I would post my current EDC setup. I know how much everyone likes PICTURES!!!
I am a student so I carry my backpack with me just about 100% of the time.

ABOVE: -Motorola RAZR (worst phone I have ever had)
-Leather wallet
-Keys with ARC LED AAA (Premium I think), Leatherman Squirt P4, Sandisk Cruzer 4Gb, and "Light my Fire" firestarter mini
-BRAND NEW Lertherman Charge TTi
-Benchmade Mini Ruckus (SV30 Steel)

ABOVE: My 4-5 year old Targus Matrix backpack. This is the BEST backpack I have ever had!! I have had never had any problems with it!!
Inside the secondary compartment (seen as open) are my EDC backpack items. I have everything inside a large watertight Aloksak bag.
Outside the Aloksak bag are my mini Nalgene bottle and a local city map.

ABOVE: The contents of my EDC backpack including USB\eSATA external HD

ABOVE: Contained in the wonderful County Comm Pocket Organizer is the "core" of my EDC
-Kershaw Blackout
-County Comm mini prybar
-Various zipties
-Photon Microlite 2

RIGHT PACKAGE:
-Mini Bic lighter with ziptie holding gas lever in place
-10 REI wind/waterproof matches w/ striker
-SparkLite fire starter
-Mini magnesium bar with steel striker bar
-Mini tweezers
-Razorblades
-Tinfoil
-mini compass
-4 SparkLite tinder tabs
-Various sized safety tabs

LEFT PACKAGE:
-4 quarters
-DR PSK Whistle
-DR PSK twine and snare wire
-2 MircoPur MP 1 tabs
-DR PSK Duct Tape roll
-DR PSK String
-$50 Cash in various size bills
-DR PSK signal mirror
-DR PSK Paper and Survival instructions
-Mini bottle with water purification tabs and "bad taste eliminator" tabs

ABOVE: EDC FAK
The core of this kit is an Atwater Carey FAK
I have added:
-antiacid tablets
-chapstick
-Purel hand sanitizer
-QuickClot 50 Gram Pack
-Vial of 500mg pain killers (Vial is from: Specialty Bottle Company)

NOT SHOWN IN PICTURES: N95 Mask, County Comm medium sized prybar, Peak LED Ranier brass flashlight (Link to product page), and "quick access" FAK with bare essentials.

ENJOY!!!

Edited by Rusty (04/19/08 01:02 AM)

#130525 - 04/19/08 01:59 AM Re: Rusty's Current EDC setup with PICS!! [Re: Rusty]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

well one picture is worth 1000 words..and it looks like
you have all the bases covered..

#130541 - 04/19/08 08:10 AM Re: Rusty's Current EDC setup with PICS!! [Re: CANOEDOGS]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
Looks good. Maybe add some food/snacks and a space-blanket, poncho, etc.

Perhaps a bit overkill with quick-clot for EDC, but oh well..

#130545 - 04/19/08 11:41 AM Re: Rusty's Current EDC setup with PICS!! [Re: JIM]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Hey! Aren't you supposed to carry books or something?!? smile

Looks good. I'd second the blanket. Maybe a few safety pins or needle/thread in case you tear something (I recently had to sew a very annoying fly on my boxers. Don't ask.)

#130548 - 04/19/08 12:27 PM Re: Rusty's Current EDC setup with PICS!! [Re: MDinana]
Jackal Offline

Loc: cornwall UK
the peak flashlight is pricey check candlepowerforum for alt lights with longer runtimes. Personelly i preffer the rosisen N3 which can take ethier rcr123's with a runtime of 70 mintues or switch the barrel to 2 x AA while dimmer give a runtime of 3-4 hours depending on the mah of the aa's. oh and it cost less than $20 smile

#130550 - 04/19/08 01:17 PM Re: Rusty's Current EDC setup with PICS!! [Re: Jackal]
tomfaranda Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Croton on Hudson, NY
Good heavens! how much does this rig weigh? It's one thing to practice redundancy in emergency equipment - to have a back-up - but a squirt and a charge and two folders? I lost track of how many firestarters and tinders you have.

Are you also toting a piece?

Texas A & M must be a wild place!

#130554 - 04/19/08 02:23 PM Re: Rusty's Current EDC setup with PICS!! [Re: tomfaranda]
Rusty Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: College Station, Texas
I have often thought that the QuickClot was overkill in my EDC. I think I will put that package in my BOB....
I will add a small tarp/poncho for shelter. I have MANY books and a notebook in the main compartment of the backpack. With a FULL load of 3 books, one notebook, and a 14.1 inch Dell Laptop the bag probably weights close to 40lbs.!!!! I'm a pretty big guy so carrying the pack doesn't really bother me.

The Peak LED Ranier flashlight IS expensive for a how bright it is. It was a gift though... Nevertheless it IS VERY bright for a ~3 inch long flashlight!!! Peak LED flashlights in general are very solidly built flashlights in my opinion. I also have a Surefire L1 that is my main BOB flashlight that is AWESOME!! I would probably take the Surefire over the Peak LED...

Yeah I do have quite a few different methods of fire starting in my EDC because I am aware of how difficult it can be starting a fire in poor conditions...and I want to have multiple options the get the job done. NO I do not carry a handgun YET. Primary because I am not old enough to get a concealed handgun license AND I don't think that AS OF NOW you can carry a handgun on a college campus...(please correct me on this subject if I am wrong).

#130569 - 04/19/08 06:21 PM Re: Rusty's Current EDC setup with PICS!! [Re: Rusty]
EHCRain10 Offline

Loc: VA
You are correct about not being able to fully protect yourself on a college campus.

looks like a great kit to me

#130570 - 04/19/08 06:31 PM Re: Rusty's Current EDC setup with PICS!! [Re: Rusty]
red Offline

I'd ditch at least one of the flashlights and replace it with a nice LED headlamp. Much more flexible to keep both hands free.

Two prybars would be overkill for me. Ditto on the quickclot.

So many blades...mouthwatering, but man, if you ever get in a scrape and the cops search you, they won't like all of them. I remember once when I told two punks to f-off who were trying to start something with me. They ended up calling the cops. I was glad that I only had one Rigid in plain sight on my belt. If they had started counting out multiple knives, my heart would have sunk. My mind keeps flashing back to the trailer of the upcoming Batman film. "All he had in his pockets were knives and lint."

It's too bad you can't find those textbooks in e-book format. Have you tried? Hell of a lot lighter in the backpack since you already lug around a laptop! I try to keep as much literature as possible on my Treo for work, church, etc.

I just received my Utah CFP after my Idaho one expired, and I can carry anywhere except a church (that prohibits it) or secured federal facilities. There was recently a big bruhaha about the University of Utah banning all guns on campus. The UT Supreme court ruled it unconstitutional and so CCW holders can carry there, too.

Sadly, in Texas, all a private person or business has to do is post a legal notice that concealed carry is prohibited and you can have your CCW revoked if you "trespass" with a concealed weapon. I'm sure Texas A&M already has done it.

#130571 - 04/19/08 07:45 PM Re: Rusty's Current EDC setup with PICS!! [Re: Rusty]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Quote:
I don't think that AS OF NOW you can carry a handgun on a college campus

Can't comment on Texas but up here we just had a bill to allow faculty & staff w/permit to carry shot down by a rules jockey congress critter of a speaker of the house.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 418 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.