Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#134527 - 06/02/08 04:44 PM Seven year old Cyalume lightstick
Ron Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
Over the weekend DW had me working on several projects around the house and I ran across some OmniGlow Cyalume lightsticks that had been in a box in the closet for several years. Expiration date was 5/01.

Seven years past the expiration date, the original foil wrapper was still sealed. These had been stored in a closet (dark, fairly constant temperature, no rough handling). The foil wrap seemed to open at the seams a little easier than I remember on a new package. Maybe the glue wasn't quite as good as new? When I broke the stick, and gave it a shake, it worked like a new one. Good bright light. I did not have a new one to compare intensity of light. After two hours, it was not as bright, but still bright enough to read fine print. (This was a 30-minute hi-intensity yellow stick.)

Anyway, my highly unscientific test conducted in a dark bathroom on Saturday night revealed that a Cyalume light stick can still be usable seven years after the expiration date.

I would still pay attention to expiration dates for critical use, like stocking a life raft, for example. But, if someone offered me some expired sticks, I would grab them and use them up on camping trips.

#134544 - 06/02/08 07:16 PM Re: Seven year old Cyalume lightstick [Re: Ron]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
This is good to know. I get them free from work and have hundreds of the things lying around. I used to give them out with candy on Halloween to the kids get rid of them.

Although I consider them more of a bonus light source than a real emergency one, At least I know they will work.

#134559 - 06/02/08 10:49 PM Re: Seven year old Cyalume lightstick [Re: Taurus]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

What do you do to get free light sticks? Do you get tyem from the military?

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#134561 - 06/02/08 11:26 PM Re: Seven year old Cyalume lightstick [Re: climberslacker]
celler Offline
Addict

Loc: Jupiter, FL
I've conducted similar tests and found that the older sticks are substantially dimmer than the fresh ones. It seems that they just gradually fade over time. Keeping them air tight definitely seems to help.

Craig.

#134562 - 06/02/08 11:33 PM Re: Seven year old Cyalume lightstick [Re: Ron]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
I don't think I'd be too worried about a foil sealed light stick, even 7 yrs. I think the expiration date is baloney - as long as the chemicals don't contact each other or if they are stored in excessive heat conditions they should be fine.

I think it was in Robert Nielsen's video that he talked about the useful life span of these things.

#134564 - 06/02/08 11:46 PM Re: Seven year old Cyalume lightstick [Re: Roarmeister]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Typically discount chem-lights use chemicals refined to a lesser standard of purity and these degrade much more quickly and less gracefully than higher quality light sticks. Also all of these units degrade more quickly in warmer temperatures and have much shorter storage lives if the foil wrapper, intended to keep oxygen out, is punctured.

#134581 - 06/03/08 01:35 AM Re: Seven year old Cyalume lightstick [Re: ]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

wow! those light sticks are older than me!!!!

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#134590 - 06/03/08 02:25 AM Re: Seven year old Cyalume lightstick [Re: climberslacker]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Most of my clothes are older than you!!!

#134626 - 06/03/08 02:48 PM Re: Seven year old Cyalume lightstick [Re: ]
Ron Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
I have inspired The Duh !!!!!!

My life is complete.

I think heat and light are the foes for light sticks. I think mine held up so well due to the unintentional good storage conditions (sealed foil wrapper, no light, room temperature). I would be interested in how they would fair riding around the the trunk of my car. Think I will give it a try. Get back with you in seven years.

#134692 - 06/04/08 04:23 AM Re: Seven year old Cyalume lightstick [Re: Ron]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Ron
I think mine held up so well due to the unintentional good storage conditions (sealed foil wrapper, no light, room temperature). I would be interested in how they would fair riding around the the trunk of my car. Think I will give it a try. Get back with you in seven years.

I think your right. Also Omniglow, as I understand it, supplies the majority of the USGI sticks and they are made to a very exacting standard. Quality units stored under favorable conditions last longer.

It would be interesting to find out what the Omniglow people and USGI standards say about their minimum expected longevity and recommended storage parameters.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 364 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.