Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#132824 - 05/14/08 02:59 AM Earthquake in China Thread
CDVXF7 Offline

I'm surprised this forum isn't on fire with talk about the quake. I'm devouring the news, photos and videos on the net. There's a lot to be learned here. There are photos showing how people are improvising and adapting. I'm also looking to see how people react to this event. What's working and whats not. I guess I envision a thread to distill the facts as the apply to the scope of this forum. Forget the politics, building codes, and lack of preparation. Lets observe and see if the preparations we endlessly talk about would work there. Lets talk about what these people are doing to survive.

#132833 - 05/14/08 04:14 AM Re: Earthquake in China Thread [Re: CDVXF7]
horizonseeker Offline
Journeyman

I live in los angeles and this is a concern for me, earthquakes strikes without warning and the only thing that make me live long enough to use my preparation is pure luck of not buried in the initial tremor.

#132846 - 05/14/08 11:14 AM Re: Earthquake in China Thread [Re: CDVXF7]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Just another in a long string of bad luck in east Asia. I will say that the PRC appears to have thier ducks in a row, and they aren't hiding it which I applaud them for.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#132849 - 05/14/08 12:20 PM Re: Earthquake in China Thread [Re: horizonseeker]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
7.9 is just a number and doesn't mean much until you put it in perspective. The Recent earthquakes map for CA & NV doesn't go to 8 and the biggest we've had lately is a 4.3 off the coast. I suspect that if a 7.9 hit SOCAL that website would go offline -- 7.9 is fraking huge. The death toll in China is going to be high (but won't approach the death toll in Myanmar from that Cyclone they should have seen coming) and a kit isn't much use if you die in the initial moments. Afterward, if you can find your kit, it's time to start working, no time for bugging out.

#132854 - 05/14/08 01:33 PM Re: Earthquake in China Thread [Re: Russ]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

i think there is not much talk because it's like seeing a
major auto wreck in person--all you can do is say "good lord!!"
and turn away..

#132863 - 05/14/08 02:39 PM Re: Earthquake in China Thread [Re: CDVXF7]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Having an intimate connection with that area, all I've been able to do is weep. I know what is in store for those people, I know what is in store for the children, especially the newly orphaned. Y'all have no idea of the hell that they are in for.

Latest news is the earthquake cracked a bunch of dams. If they collapse then things will get worse by several orders of magnitude.

For those who wish to help, I can vouch for Half the Sky organization. They are devoted to helping Chinses orphans. With all the money going towards relief efforts these little ones are going to get screwed (more).

Sidenote: don't get me started on the Burma typhoon.

-Blast

Edited by Blast (05/14/08 02:42 PM)
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#132864 - 05/14/08 02:40 PM Re: Earthquake in China Thread [Re: CDVXF7]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
A new wrinkle is all the damaged dams in the region. The authorities reported almost 400, mostly small, dams have been damaged. Obviously, flooding downstream is the immediate danger, but then you also face loss of the reservoirs which may supply drinking water to more distant communities. Plus, some may have hydroelectric plants which would presumably be damaged, too, if a dam breaks.

Shifting focus here--I don't know how seismically active the area around the collosal Three Gorges Dam is, but if that puppy ever broke due to a massive quake (and 7.9 really is massive), that would be catastrophic.

#132910 - 05/14/08 07:25 PM Re: Earthquake in China Thread [Re: Russ]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: Russ
7.9 is just a number and doesn't mean much until you put it in perspective. The Recent earthquakes map for CA & NV doesn't go to 8 and the biggest we've had lately is a 4.3 off the coast. I suspect that if a 7.9 hit SOCAL that website would go offline -- 7.9 is fraking huge. The death toll in China is going to be high (but won't approach the death toll in Myanmar from that Cyclone they should have seen coming) and a kit isn't much use if you die in the initial moments. Afterward, if you can find your kit, it's time to start working, no time for bugging out.

You're right about SoCal not being hit quite that hard. However, the Landers quake and the one up in The Valley were both in the low 7's, right? 7.3 and 7.1 I believe. For the most part, the area weathered them well.

Obviously a 7.9 is quite a bit larger, but I'm hoping that when/if that size hits, my family and the entire region will fare quite a bit better. I doubt they have the building codes in China that we do!

Anyway, given the recent turmoil in Asia, I'm glad I'm not living there...

#132917 - 05/14/08 09:04 PM Re: Earthquake in China Thread [Re: CDVXF7]
LED Offline
Veteran

Truly sad. Especially for those affected by the "one child" policy. From what I understand, many buildings were not built to specs which led to swift, massive collapse.

#132919 - 05/14/08 09:21 PM Re: Earthquake in China Thread [Re: LED]
steelie Offline
Stranger

in places where earthquakes are a threat, what are the odds a reinforced "bomb shelter" type structure would help? even in the basement for instance, a steel cage type room that could withstand the weight of a crumbled house? with all the usual provisioning of course, this could serve as a good holding area until help arrived. is there even a chance of making it into the cage successfully?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 491 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.