Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#132000 - 05/04/08 05:09 PM stainless bottles - guyot questions...
yeti Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: somewhere out there...
In message #69694, SBRaider shows us the Snow Peak Solo cookset which fits on a Nalgene bottle. I like the ¾ size better than the size of the olicamp cups on my bottles.

I’m really getting at the following questions though:

1) I like the “standard” model of the stainless guyot water bottles at http://www.guyotdesigns.com/stainlessbottles?sc=11 that falcon5000 first spoke of in message #115321. I have yet to see them offered in the US though. I’ve only seen them at Mountain Equipment Co-op online. Has anyone seen them?

2) Does anyone who has one of the standard guyot bottles know whether or not the olicamp cups or the Snow Peak cookset above will fit on them?

I would prefer to buy steel that fits into my other equipment…including the insulated bottle covers that I use at work.

In addition to the fact that I'd like SS bottles that fit into my other gear, I just don't like the Siggs and the other bottles with the high-relief tops and small mouths. I also don't like the siggs because I've seen the coatings wear off and actually did see one with the interior coating damaged.

BTW, I've used Nalgene lexan for years (20+) and the white ones before that. The claim that the bottles don't pick up odors is wrong...and some of those oders can take months to years to get out of them...even with sunlight. I did use them for much more than just water though. And god help you if you let milk spoil in them. GAH!!!

#132011 - 05/04/08 08:07 PM Re: stainless bottles - guyot questions... [Re: yeti]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Uhm... Yeti, most of don't think in terms of thread numbers, and I know that I'm not going to bother to chase it down. Link to them, please, so we know what you are talking about. :P

And the Guyotes I've seen won't fit in a space saver cup. I checked. And the ones that taper will rattle a lot.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#132014 - 05/04/08 09:04 PM Re: stainless bottles - guyot questions... [Re: yeti]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

Thanks for the post yeti, I had been waiting for them (guyot designs) to get more backpacker bottles in. I just ordered another one for another kit I have which puts me at 3. I have 1 that I carry everyday for work now and removed it from one of the kits and need a replacement.

I don't know about the standard bottles from them, I know the back packer can rattle with a cup due to the taper design but I had bought a carrier from US Calvary that keeps it quite, but a bandanna around the bottom will do as well. I have boiled water in these bottles and the one I carry to work has several dents from me dropping it on concrete but still remains water tight with no cracks and still going. It's like a battle bottle. I like how they keep the water cold for a long time even being non insulated. I did a quick search as well and could not find the link as well.

#132015 - 05/04/08 09:44 PM Re: stainless bottles - guyot questions... [Re: falcon5000]
yeti Offline
Enthusiast

SBRaider’s message on the snow peak solo set was here:
http://tinyurl.com/4jzb5n

and I think this message was Falcon5000's first on the guyot SS bottles:
http://tinyurl.com/3vscpd

Although, these do look interesting…
http://wiggys.com/category.cfm?Category=1&CFID=4423088&CFTOKEN=765

The guyot's are said to accept standard nalgene tops...is that so? Other's have written they will fit with the nalgene-intended items...but I haven't seen that from anyone I know who is using them. I'd like to use mine with the space saver cups and there was some mention it would be ok...but Raven says no...sigh. I do not want the backpacker tapered model. I'm not sure what the taper is for. It would seem to make it less sturdy and easily tippable.

BTW, where are they made?

#132032 - 05/05/08 03:39 AM Re: stainless bottles - guyot questions... [Re: yeti]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

The backpacker 32 oz guyot SS bottle will fit a standard 32 oz nalgine bottle and vise versa. I know it has a tapered design and I don't think it's that top heavy, I never had a problem with it spilling. The tapered design works great in my cup holder while traveling to work as well. It does have some play with the SS cup but a bandanna may quitin it. I have a case for it and it muffles it to my satisfaction but it's all in what you want.

The reason for the backpacker bottle is:
1. 32 oz bottle with universal cap and threads

2. Fits standard pump filters to remove pesticides from the water (Carbon filter).

3. Steripen fits in there with plenty of room to kill viruses and has a 32 oz dosage feature.

4. I can use it to boil water in a emergency and is a rugged bottle.

5. Use the bottom as a signal mirror (stretching it, but can be done)

6. Water stays cooler longer in it and taste better in it.

7. Reasonable cost, great company

Bad thing is it is made in China, but it is very well built I must say.

Right click on pictures below and click view image to see entire picture. I didn't have time to shrink them.

#132059 - 05/05/08 04:23 PM Re: stainless bottles - guyot questions... [Re: falcon5000]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Different schools of thought I suppose. I preferred carrying water in either my camelbak bladder or in a vendor bottle. It was way more convenient than the Nalgenes for carrying purposes, and with the setup I have and the way I treat the water, the camelbak made better sense. Having a nesting capability for your kit looks like a desirable trait. Being able to mount that filter onto the bottle also seems pretty nice.

I guess it's just different strokes.

#132082 - 05/06/08 01:10 AM Re: stainless bottles - guyot questions... [Re: benjammin]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
For whatever reason, the Standard model seems to be unavailble. Seems like the best model. I certainly prefer the non-tapered.

#132086 - 05/06/08 02:06 AM Re: stainless bottles - guyot questions... [Re: benjammin]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

Thanks benjammin, actually I do carry a MSR 10 liter dromedary bag and the bottle in my bob and pack but for shorter trips I just carry the bottle. I treat the water the same in either case with the combi and steripen and the combi filter will screw in the msr bag as well which is good.I thought about using a MIOX for the 10 litter bag but I can't stand the chlorine taste or the long dwell time, so it takes a little longer with the steripen at 32 oz a shot and I'm tired of Iodine.

#132570 - 05/11/08 01:58 PM Re: stainless bottles - guyot questions... [Re: falcon5000]
yeti Offline
Enthusiast

I ordered the standard style off of guyot's website and they got here today. Unfortunately, my spacesaver cup is 20 miles away at the moment. However, I can say that the standard style bottle will fit in my OR (Outdoor Research) insulated bottle jackets (which are made for the 1 liter nalgenes). Already a plus.

A word of warning to the ultralight crowd...as you may well expect, these SS bottles are NOT light. In fact, I was pleasantly surprised at the heft and sturdiness of the bottles.

The standard bottles will fit standard nalgene caps as well.

I'll report back on the spacvesaver cup fit later.

I'm already a fan of these bottles.

#132717 - 05/13/08 02:11 AM Re: stainless bottles - guyot questions... [Re: yeti]
yeti Offline
Enthusiast

I am happy to report that the Guyot Designs STD style bottles not only are compatible with standard nalgene tops (if you ever need a spare), they fit the OR bottle jackets (as mentioned above) and they DO fit the Olicamp Space Saver Cups! I can fit my normal bottle and cup inside the OR bottle jackets.

The fit on the space saver cups is pretty tight. I'd like to see another mm or two shaved. However, they fit fine like they are!

I wish I'd bought these bottles some time back when I first saw them mentioned. But from the pictures, I wasn't convinced the size would have been right. I'm happy to report they are compatible with everything I've tried thus far.

And Falcon500...I don't know what you did to dent one of these! They seem bomb-proof

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.