Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#132021 - 05/05/08 01:02 AM Small parts storage tubes
LeeG Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
I ordered some of these Storage Tubes from County Comm and I found them to be pretty useful.

I had a small screwdriver set that I often use and it was just a bit large for these tubes, so I cobbled this together with some PVC and fittings from Home Depot. Cost me about $3 since I wanted a threaded cap - would have been about $1 less with friction caps (shown with AA battery for scale).

Not nearly as fancy as the CC ones, but it is exactly the right diameter and length. I thought someone else might find the idea useful.

#132023 - 05/05/08 01:13 AM Re: Small parts storage tubes [Re: LeeG]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Those work fine. Not as compact as something manufactured, but mucho cheaper, and you can customize them to fit your needs. For super waterproofing, I'd put some teflon tape on the threads tho...

#132029 - 05/05/08 03:00 AM Re: Small parts storage tubes [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
FYI: CC has their nice EOD bags on sale!!! I have one and it's awesome... few more on the way smile
-Todd

#132041 - 05/05/08 10:20 AM Re: Small parts storage tubes [Re: LeeG]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Teflon tape is your friend- PVC can get stuck, and I mean REALLY stuck, if you don't tape it. And even then sometimes you want a pair of channel locks....

My big match case is similar to this, and I always carry a small pair of channel locks in my pack. The make great pot lifters, to.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#132048 - 05/05/08 03:44 PM Re: Small parts storage tubes [Re: ironraven]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
As a possible way of reducing the "pipe bomb" see if the clear tubing can be used. I believe it is in the plumbing aisle also.

If you look at the tube I used for my EDC (now on display in the Photo Gallery) you could use them also; maybe. The hobby stores have coin tubes and a variety of clear storage tubes for cheap. I do not know if you have a Hobby Lobby where you are. That is where I purchased mine. They were in the BEAD section. If no Hobby Lobby perhaps a Michael's or similar hobby/craft store.

Standard Disclaimer......

Edited by MoBOB (05/05/08 03:48 PM)
Edit Reason: Much words added

#132055 - 05/05/08 04:14 PM Re: Small parts storage tubes [Re: MoBOB]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Hmm, seems I was thinking along the same lines about them home-made pipe containers. Imagine having the item in the picture above fall out of your kit somewhere like Penn Station.

Personally, I don't care much for being drawn down on by a cop. I guess it goes without saying you don't want to be wearing your shemagh and have this with you in public.

#132058 - 05/05/08 04:21 PM Re: Small parts storage tubes [Re: benjammin]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Seems like overkill to me...If I needed something that can be rolled over by a truck I'd use one of my Pelican Micro cases.

That being said, kudos for going the DIY route. Personally I'd go with something with thinner walls...a bit less beefy.

If you Goggle 'Clear PVC' in the pursuit of making a less IED looking model, make sure you're careful about the links you click on unless you need a rubber nurses uniform too. wink

#132060 - 05/05/08 04:24 PM Re: Small parts storage tubes [Re: ]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
The tube I used, as seen in the Photo Gallery, from the hobby/craft store is very thin-walled. It seems to be a bit thinner than the soft drink bottles.

#132083 - 05/06/08 01:12 AM Re: Small parts storage tubes [Re: ironraven]
yeti Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: somewhere out there...
Originally Posted By: ironraven
My big match case is similar to this, and I always carry a small pair of channel locks in my pack. The make great pot lifters, to.

Is the match case pvc?

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.