Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#131567 - 04/30/08 11:56 AM Jim's new EDC setup
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
Time to show you all my EDC setup. First my on-body carry:

- Seiko watch
- keychain with a Leatherman Squirt and a pair of tweezers on it.
- Benchmade Griptillian
- Fenix L1D-CE flashlight
- hankerchiff

My EDC-bag is a Maxpedition Jumbo S-type. I've added a medium-size rolly-poly, a braided hauling-strap and a small cell-phone pouch with MALICE-clips.

The contents of the side pouch, side-sleeve and cell-phone pouch:

- cell phone
- note-book
- small pair of EMT-sheers
- roll of duct-tape
- screwdriver-pen
- lots of normal pens
- small zipties
- ziplock with a n-95 equivelant respirator in it

Top pouch:

- sunglasses
- lipbalm

The weapons-consealment pouch. We're not allowed to CCW in The Netherlands, so no firearms here.

However, this is what's in it:

- ETD (Emergency Trauma Dressing)
- Leatherman Wave (old version)
- fire-steel

The nalgene-pouch holds a 750ml nalgene-bottle:

Front compartment:

- CPR-mask
- wallet
- credit-card size sharpening stone
- lighter
- wet-wipes
- paper-hankerchiffs
- earplugs
- spare AA-batteries
- ziplock
- roll of medical tape
- dextro-energy tablets
- breath-mints
- nitrile gloves

The main compartment has no fixed lay-out because this changes during the day. In this pic for example you see a note-book, but that may already have changed by now. However I always try to have some snacks (that I also eat regularly) and there's always a FAK in it.

The FAK in a aloksak:

Contents of the FAK:

[img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2004/2454489886_84df9bcc5c.jpg[/img]

- Gauze pads
- vaseline dressing
- quick-dressing
- Sterilon wound desinfectant
- burn-gel
- adhesive bandages, moleskin
- wound closure strips
- medications such as acethaminophen, immodium, ibuprofen, aspirin, cetrizine and antacid.

That's it. Any comments, suggestions?

Edited by JIM (04/30/08 08:51 PM)
Edit Reason: My piss poor spelling

#131569 - 04/30/08 12:39 PM Re: Jim's new EDC setup [Re: JIM]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Nice!

How do you like the Jumbo S-Type bag, it is om my want list (does it feel too large)?

Mike

#131580 - 04/30/08 01:51 PM Re: Jim's new EDC setup [Re: SwampDonkey]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

The jumbo is a very good bag, but you've got to know exactly what you want to do with it and what you want to carry in it, because the bag can be a little small if you carry stuff like a book,clothing or something like that in it. But for small stuff it's great.

I chose the S-type because I'm left-handed and don't CCW. If you're right-handed, I would just get the regular-version.

The bag doesn't feel to small or large, it doesn't move around to much when walking and if it does, you just attach the belt-loop and it's not going anywhere.

A review of the jumbo which you'll probably already know: http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=So5iQoQQswg

#131584 - 04/30/08 02:44 PM Re: Jim's new EDC setup [Re: ]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Originally Posted By: BigDaddyTX
Look at the cute little snickers bar, and it's not marked as mini or snack size. We wonder why we have an obesity problem in America.

Just finding a normal size snickers bar is often quite the search. More and more I'm seeing all extra-jumbo-more for your money-size. Same thing with Hershey bars. You used to be able to buy a regular ~1.5oz size hershey bar everywhere, now I see more places just selling the 2 ounce "king size" up to the half pound monster bars. I couldn't even eat that much chocolate without throwing up. sick

#131586 - 04/30/08 03:24 PM Re: Jim's new EDC setup [Re: Paul810]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I stopped carrying chocolate as a backup snack a while ago. It can be messy, and with the exception of some brands, it's usually not the best nutrition. Lately I've taken to keeping a baggie of trail mix, jerky, or a Clif Bar in my bag instead.

#131591 - 04/30/08 03:43 PM Re: Jim's new EDC setup [Re: JIM]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Hi Jim,

Quote:
A review of the jumbo wich you'll probably know: http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=So5iQoQQswg

The Jumbo looks a bit tacticool for everyday carry use for me I'm afraid. The Video review, sorry to say, has something of the Taxi Driver - Are you talking to me about it. I've actually thought about purchasing one even though the look is a bit tactical but the video review has actually put me off dispite it being an excellent product. I wonder what would happen if anyone ever came across the reviewer in the video and commented on what a nice manbag he had. smile

#131594 - 04/30/08 04:14 PM Re: Jim's new EDC setup [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
Hi Jim,

Quote:
A review of the jumbo wich you'll probably know: http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=So5iQoQQswg

The Jumbo looks a bit tacticool for everyday carry use for me I'm afraid. The Video review, sorry to say, has something of the Taxi Driver - Are you talking to me about it. I've actually thought about purchasing one even though the look is a bit tactical but the video review has actually put me off dispite it being an excellent product. I wonder what would happen if anyone ever came across the reviewer in the video and commented on what a nice manbag he had. smile

Haha, well milspecmonkey may be a bit...uhm...you know, but still the maxpedition jumbo is an exellent product and it would be a shame if you didn't like it just because of a 'strange review'.

It really is a good product and IMO it doesn't really look all that tacticool when you get used to it.

#131596 - 04/30/08 04:18 PM Re: Jim's new EDC setup [Re: JIM]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Hi JIM. Nice set up. I'm just trying to imagine the typical situation you are in. Where are you carrying this? In the middle of a city? Driving a car around or taking public transit to school/work?

Here's a question that doesn't really apply to us North Americans. Does it make sense to carry an extra SIM card for a different mobile phone network? Just thinking back to my own experiences, like 9/11, my mobile phone network in New York City was completely overloaded. It's possible that I might have had more luck making a call using a different network that had more capacity in my local area. Well, text messages are an alternative and are much more likely to go through, but for certain tasks, like calling an ambulance, you have to make a voice call (at least here in the US).

I noticed the sunglasses and lip balm so it seems like too much sun is something that you think about. Maybe a very small bottle of sunscreen would be helpful, too. If you have to stay outside a long time in strong sun because of some incident, it would help prevent sunburn. Of course, if you had to, you could use the lip balm on other areas of your body, like your face, but liquid sunscreen would be much easier to apply.

#131616 - 04/30/08 06:26 PM Re: Jim's new EDC setup [Re: Arney]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Arney,

This setup is ment as an urban-EDC. For outdoor-activities I have a different pack. Usually I travel by bicycle (which has a repair-kit) or by train to work.

I don't think that having a extra sim-card for your phone has much use, because as you said, text-messages will often get through, but also because over here, when the network get's overloaded, all the providers go out (I believe).

I only carry the sunglasses in the summer and because it's mandatory to have them in your car over here. But I'll look into some sunscreen to add in the summer.

Thanks!

#131628 - 04/30/08 07:07 PM Re: Jim's new EDC setup [Re: JIM]
EHCRain10 Offline

Loc: VA
Is that a law that requires the possession of sunglasses in a car?
Makes good sense to me but its a little bit big brother

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (NAro, Ren), 444 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.