Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#130835 - 04/23/08 01:04 PM NYC This Friday: Potantial Trouble?
Jesselp Offline
What's Next?
Enthusiast

Loc: New York
I've noticed a number of active posters in the New York City area, so I thought I'd throw this out for discussion:

News reports suggest that a verdict will be handed down in the "Sean Bell" case this Friday. Without getting into the politics surrounding the case, it seems to me that there is at least a potential for civil unrest in parts of the city, depending on the verdict.

While we all hope for the best in people, we're here because we also prepare for the worst. What do people think the actual potential for civil disturbance is, and how would you prepare before leaving to go to work on Friday?

Best regards, and needless to say, I hope we all have a very calm day on Friday.

#130872 - 04/23/08 06:51 PM Re: NYC This Friday: Potantial Trouble? [Re: Jesselp]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Mayhaps, you should calculate the various routes that you can travel from work to home in the event of civil disturbances based on what areas you would expect civil unrest to occur.

Mayhaps, you should calculate what supplemental equipment & supplies that you can carry, without raising eyebrows of those people that matter to you, that would assist you in getting home in the event of civil unrest in areas along your possible routes from work to home.

Mayhaps, you and your family should take an early vacation out of the city, Thursday night????

#130885 - 04/23/08 08:33 PM Re: NYC This Friday: Potantial Trouble? [Re: Jesselp]
gryps Offline
Aspiring Ant

Loc: New Rochelle,NY, USA
I think that the Sean Bell verdict is not that likely to result in civil unrest (i.e. a race riot). In contrast to L.A. in 1992, there is no nationally televised video of the incident. Furthermore, the Dialo and Louima cases from a few years ago did not result in civil unrest.

But, I do think you'll see a spike in various forms of crime during the coming months, as a result of the poor economy (banking and the Street appear to be circling the drain) and the onset of warm weather.

#130939 - 04/24/08 11:54 AM Re: NYC This Friday: Potantial Trouble? [Re: gryps]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Ah, New York in the summertime. No place else on earth smells quite like it, that noxious blend of rotten fish, human waste, diesel exhaust, the best pizza in the world, hot dogs boiling on the corner, and fresh ground coffee. You just can't get that aroma anyplace else.

#130940 - 04/24/08 11:58 AM Re: NYC This Friday: Potantial Trouble? [Re: benjammin]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
You've spent too much time around the Battery and Fulton Street. I had many good days around there as well.

#130942 - 04/24/08 12:12 PM Re: NYC This Friday: Potantial Trouble? [Re: wildman800]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
All along Broadway, from Midtown south along the 2/3 route.

Oh, the humanity of it all.

#130948 - 04/24/08 12:39 PM Re: NYC This Friday: Potantial Trouble? [Re: Jesselp]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I was in living in a townhouse in a really nice neighborhood during the LA "Rodney King" riots. One of the units was very rarely occupied as the owner lived elsewhere and kept it as a place to sleep when he was in town. Suddenly that townhouse had a family living in it, relatives of the owner who needed to get out of LA. They stayed 'til the "all clear" sounded (is it ever all clear in LA?). I have no idea how they fared after returning to LA.

I don't know your situation or who Sean Bell is, but if it really is a concern today would be a good day to make sure you have what you need to "bug-in" at home, or you can preemptively bug-out to another place outside the hot zone. Watch this one develop and fizzle from afar. Spend the weekend in Atlantic City cool

#130967 - 04/24/08 04:01 PM Re: NYC This Friday: Potantial Trouble? [Re: Russ]
miner Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Layton, Utah
Scariest moment of my life was in 1995. Wife and I spent a weekend in San Francisco (49ers game, Phantom of the Opera). On Monday morning we drove to Oakland for the morning before headind across the Bay to the San Francisco Airport for an afternoon flight. While in Oakland, I realized that I still had the hotel room key (it was an actual key, prior to the days of the small credit card type access). We headed to the airport a little earlier than we had intended so that we could drop by the hotel and return the key. Just as we came off the Bay Bridge, the radio announced that the jury had reached a decision in the O.J. Simpson case. Fear immediately came over me as O.J. Simpson is from San Francisco and I feared that a guilty verdict might make the LA riots of '92 look mild. Fortunately, the next thing the announcer on the radio said was that the verdict would be announced the following morning, long after I had returned home to Salt Lake where I had little fear of race riots regardless of the verdict.

I'm hoping for the best in people in New York but be careful.

#130974 - 04/24/08 04:29 PM Re: NYC This Friday: Potantial Trouble? [Re: miner]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Oh calm down.
I hear from so many people who don't ever come here freaked out about NYC and the potential for this and that and the other thing.

I still feel safer here than off in the woods where I live.

Posted from 25th St & 7th Ave, NY NY.

#130979 - 04/24/08 04:38 PM Re: NYC This Friday: Potantial Trouble? [Re: benjammin]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
I can't wait. I'll be in Upstate (for good) in July. I will probably make a pilgrimage to Yankee Stadium in August. Oh!! The boundless joy of it all!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 251 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Today at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.