Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#130647 - 04/20/08 09:56 PM EDC/BOB knives
LeeG Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
I was going through my knife collection, thinking about what to carry as part of my newly formed EDC pack. I carry a Leatherman Juice S2 and a 2" Boker ceramic in my pocket currently.

I plan on supplementing what I currently carry all the time with a larger folder and a fixed blade (amongst other things, but focus on them here).

Opinions please on these two knives:
Folder: Boker Brend

Fixed: Cold Steel Master Tanto San Mai

I have many others, including 15-20 Syderco folders, several SOG Fixed blades, Kershaw folders, CRK Folders and Fixed and several other Cold Steel Fixed. (I went on a huge knife/gun buying spree about 8 years ago).

Comments please.

#130649 - 04/20/08 10:21 PM Re: EDC/BOB knives [Re: LeeG]
horizonseeker Offline
Journeyman

I'm curious, what do you see using the tanto for as an EDC? will this be a daily user or self-defense only? If it's for the latter, one of the lesser expensive from cold steel (SRK, ODA, UWK, etc) would be my choice since no matter if you are justified in using it, I imagine have it in police custody would give me some anxiety over such a high dollar item.

for me a fixed blade is a moot point as it is more hassle than it's worth in So Cal.

Edited by horizonseeker (04/20/08 10:22 PM)

#130653 - 04/20/08 10:50 PM Re: EDC/BOB knives [Re: horizonseeker]
LeeG Offline

Cost isn't an issue, because I already have all this stuff. I am mostly wondering about the general usefulness of the knives and if I should even carry one.

Glad I don't live in California any more. I like it here in AZ where I can have my concealed carry permit and carry open regardless.

Edited by Chris Kavanaugh (04/21/08 12:50 AM)
Edit Reason: politics

#130667 - 04/21/08 01:27 AM Re: EDC/BOB knives [Re: LeeG]
Paragon Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Greensboro, NC
Originally Posted By: LeeG
I carry a Leatherman Juice S2 and a 2" Boker ceramic in my pocket currently.

I plan on supplementing what I currently carry all the time with a larger folder and a fixed blade (amongst other things, but focus on them here).

Glad I don't live in California any more. I like it here in AZ where I can have my concealed carry permit and carry open regardless.

Do you actually find it necessary to carry four knives in addition to a handgun anytime you leave your house?

Jim

#130671 - 04/21/08 02:04 AM Re: EDC/BOB knives [Re: Paragon]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
I missed the part where he said he carries "anytime he leaves the house".

Lee, welcome to the forum. I can;t speak for those knives, but I can say what I carry in my BOBs. In my small bag (medium Alice), I carry an old Leatherman (before they had more than one model, I think) and a Frost Cutlery Grizzly Skinner. Now, don;t laugh yet laugh I got that knife from my bro-in-law several years ago and just recently realized it's a pretty nice knife! So, it stays in that BOB.

In another BOB (large Alice), I carry another old leatherman that's been abused, a USBP rescue folder, and two Moras.

I have three small packs (Camelback Mule and 2 no-name brnad) small BOBs have a SOG S62, a Mora, and a BRKT mini-Canadian spread between the three.

I say buy and carry whatever you think will get you through if and when you need it. I do have to agree, though, that a tanto blade isn;t what I'd take, but I'd take it if there wasn;t anything better!

#130673 - 04/21/08 02:15 AM Re: EDC/BOB knives [Re: Stretch]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Yeah, I'd knix the fixed blade as well. If anything ever happens, it'll be hard enough WITH a CCW. Let alone trying to tell the police why you felt it necessary to have a pistol, fixed blade, 2 folders, and a multitool.

There's redundancy, then there's asking for trouble. I think you're leaning towards the latter.

#130680 - 04/21/08 03:12 AM Re: EDC/BOB knives [Re: MDinana]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

It's hard to go wrong with one folder and one multitool if they're good quality. I carry a backup but it's just a Gerber EAB folder which is more money clip than knife.

I only upgrade to a fixed blade when I'm hiking/camping/etc.

Personally I'd steer clear of ceramic or tanto tipped blades in the urban jungles. The purpose of a tanto tip is to make the knife stronger for thrusting. To law enforcement can mean a fighting knife. Same goes for ceramic...to many the only reason such knives exist is to fool metal detectors. That can look bad to LEO types too.

Stick with quality and spread your stash out a bit instead of carrying too much. I put my knives in different locations so I have them around when I need them.

#130682 - 04/21/08 04:43 AM Re: EDC/BOB knives [Re: ]
LeeG Offline

Thanks for the input guys. I plan on upgrading my Leatherman to a Charge soon and it will go from my pocket to my belt. I'll keep my little (its actually 1.5") ceramic for quick access in my pants pocket (I wear dress slacks for work). I'll stick with the folder in my knapsack. I usually keep my PPK in my car, as I don't have any place to conceal it with my normal 'at work' garb, and I am hesitant to leave it unattended in my knapsack. I do bring it in when I am working late as my office isn't in the best of neighborhoods.

I'll leave the fixed blade out - I've never actually had a use for one in an urban setting and really can't foresee any situation where I'd need one. I do carry one in my car kit though.

#130688 - 04/21/08 11:32 AM Re: EDC/BOB knives [Re: LeeG]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
The only urban environment I found a need for a bigger fixed blade was Baghdad.

As for the PPK, I would rather have it in my knapsack than in an unattended car. Without a jacket, I reckon it'd be hard to conceal any decent firearm without it printing or otherwise becoming visible at some point. If you had a desk I'd say keep it locked up in there, but that also invokes a certain amount of exposure during the transition. If you can't keep the knapsack under regular scrutiny, then perhaps the car is the only option, but I would keep it well secured in a lock box or some such then.

#130696 - 04/21/08 12:52 PM Re: EDC/BOB knives [Re: LeeG]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
In warm weather, if I want to tuck my shirt it, I carry my Kahr MK-40 in a de Santis pocket holster . Not as fast on the draw as my kydex IWB holster, but acceptable. Far better than leaving your weapon in the vehicle (almost a guarantee it will be stolen), or laying around unattended in a daypack...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (NAro, Ren), 444 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.