Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#130398 - 04/17/08 02:36 PM Advice for first-time solo backpacker?
ChrisInAZ Offline
Stranger

Loc: Arizona
Hi--

I'm planning my first solo backpacking trip and was wondering if any of you have advice on equipment and other considerations...e.g. is a PLB necessary/recommended, survival gear, communications, security, etc.

Any thoughts you have or links you can point me to are greatly appreciated.

Chris

#130404 - 04/17/08 04:08 PM Re: Advice for first-time solo backpacker? [Re: ChrisInAZ]
gizmojumpjet Offline
Opposed to Bears

Loc: Houston, TX, USA
What part of the country are you going to be hiking in? What time of year? Is this going to be on public or private land? What is your level of outdoor experience? What is your fitness level? How long are you going to be out for?

These are the sorts of details people will need to know in order to give you the best advice.

Edited by gizmojumpjet (04/17/08 04:20 PM)

#130409 - 04/17/08 04:22 PM Re: Advice for first-time solo backpacker? [Re: gizmojumpjet]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
File a travel plan with someone trustworthy with info on exactly where you are going, when to call when you are overdue, who to call and what to tell them.

Have stuff to be able to wait for rescue.

Carefully think about each step every step of the way.

Have a great experience!

(I love solo backpacking though I haven't done it in far too long.)

#130411 - 04/17/08 04:26 PM Re: Advice for first-time solo backpacker? [Re: ChrisInAZ]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Welcome to the fire, Newguy Chris. I think you'll learn a lot. Definately try out the search engine as this topic has been covered a number of times.

The biggie is tell someone reliable (or better yet, two someones) where you are going, the route you will take, and when they should call search and rescue if they don't hear from you again.

Other tips:
1. Leave a picture or description of your tent, sleeping bag, pack and clothing with reliable person to help SAR people know what to look for.

2. Leave imprints of your boot/shoe treads with reliable person. Make the imprints by stepping on a sheet of aluminum foil. This will help trackers know which tracks to follow.

3. PLB are worth their wait in gold in backcountry areas.

4. Keep an eye on the weather. Better still, know what the weather is supposed to be before heading out and prepare appropriately. Depending on where you are going, this can mean cancelling the trip.

Gear selection is a function of where you are going. Tell us that and we'll help you decide what to bring (assuming you have an unlimited bank account and the ability to carry 120 lbs of gear grin).

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#130414 - 04/17/08 04:33 PM Re: Advice for first-time solo backpacker? [Re: Blast]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Not knowing the particular geographic/personal details, your list ought to start with this:

A map of the area preferably waterproofed

A decent compass

At least two different firestarting implements

A weatherproof shelter, could be something as basic as an oversized contractor's trash bag or a 10' x 12' tarp, to a bivy bag, to a tent
or good sleeping bag

#130424 - 04/17/08 05:22 PM Re: Advice for first-time solo backpacker? [Re: benjammin]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Below I'm listing Doug Ritter's top '10' list of survival items that he presented on a radio show a while back. Now, people can argue long and hard about the details and order of each, but I for one whole-heartedly agree that a mapping GPS w/ spare batteries AND a PLB can be true lifesavers if the worst happens.

So many people get into trouble because they simply get lost and can't find their way back to a key location. Yes, map & compass navigation skill are important and EXTREMELY useful, but when the stuff has hit the fan I'd much rather rely on a mapping GPS for navigation than a map & compass. A good mapping GPS with an on-board electronic compass makes navigation so simple that quite literally an 8-year old can do it.

If the time has come where you need to stay put and call for help, then a PLB will - without much question - bring help to you. Yes they are expensive, but how much is your life worth to you???

Downsize/trim your key survival gear so that you can keep it with you at ALLLL times - even when just stepping away from the campsite to do some personal business. It won't help you if you don't have it. Accidents don't come with a 3-minute warning light.

As others have said, pre-trip planning, preparation, and notification are keys to keeping you safe and making sure you get home.

1. Navigation - a mapping GPS w/ spare batteries, or secondarily a map & compass, AND the knowledge to use them together

2. Knife - one-hand opening

3. Fire starter & Tinder

4. Water & water purification

5. Whistle

6. Signal Mirror

7. Duct Tape

8. Shelter - large garbage bags or AMK Heat Sheets blanket

9. Flashlight or Headlamp - LED, lithium battery, with constant-on switch

10. Sunscreen and/or Insect Repellent

11. Personal Locator Beacon

#130430 - 04/17/08 07:15 PM Re: Advice for first-time solo backpacker? [Re: KenK]
jaywalke Offline

Loc: Appalachian mountains
Just like real estate, it's all about location and timing.

If you are in deep backcountry off-trail, a PLB is a great idea. If you're on a busy trail in peak hiking season, maybe not so much. In between is a sliding scale.

I spent Wednesday on the Appalachian Trail doing some volunteer trail work (and getting paid because I have a cool employer). I was on one of the more remote sections around here, in the center of a 12-mile long, 4000' high ridgewalk with no road access, meaning it's a stiff climb and a long stroll to get up there no matter which way you go.

In the 8 hours I was up there alone painting blazes, seven backpackers and one hunter walked by and stopped to chat. There are rural roads that don't get that much traffic. A PLB, for me, in this area, is too much. Your mileage may vary.

Likewise, I don't bother with a signal mirror or sunscreen (tree cover limits both) or bug spray (no bugs). However, I usually have two whistles and I'd add a first aid kit to the list above. If you are in AZ, your situation is very different than mine and as you gain solo experience you'll adjust your gear accordingly.

Lots of other good suggestions here already. +1 on the leaving a plan with someone. The Lovely Spouse always gets a list and map from me: a) parking HERE, b) coming out HERE2, c) at this TIME (with a hefty safety cushion, like half a day, for usual delays). If I'm not home by TIME2, call 911 and ask for THIS SAR team, sheriff, etc. appropriate for the area.

My final suggestion is to take a book. Exploring solo is great, but unless you are used to twenty-four hour solitude there may be times you feel bored.

#130433 - 04/17/08 07:59 PM Re: Advice for first-time solo backpacker? [Re: jaywalke]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
Thinking about this a bit more. Chris your posting says Arizona.
That brings to mind all kinds of possibilities.
But ultimately you didn't give us much context. Where will you be? How much experience backpacking do you already have?
And so on. The answers depend on conditions.

If you've never backpacked before, going solo isn't a good idea for many reasons. (most of which having to do with not having developed a "groove" with yourself and your gear.)

If you're going alone and planning your first trip and going out in the Arizona desert in July planning to live off the land just like the Indians.... well, there are more reasons :-)

I second that a small book is a good idea as would be reading one about tracking or other intricate outdoor skills beforehand so that you'll have something else to keep occupied if you need it.

#130439 - 04/17/08 10:04 PM Re: Advice for first-time solo backpacker? [Re: ChrisInAZ]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Welcome Newguy!

I'd second what everyone else has said, and just add this: Don't take too big a bite the first few times. Don't take off on some 50 miles in three days thing, pick a nice short (as in no more than three or four miles) hike. Being all alone in the boonies can have a different effect on different people, some love it, others start hearing boogymen with every sound. If you discover that you fall into the second catagory, it is easier for you to bail...

#130440 - 04/17/08 10:11 PM Re: Advice for first-time solo backpacker? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
SHawk Offline
Stranger

Loc: Central Washington
My only addition i sto think of what is most likely to go wrong, e.g. your are going to be late returning, or falling and hurting yourself, and develop a plan on how to deal with that emergency. If you have thought about how to deal with problems befor they happen you have an idea of how to work through them, thus lessening the stress of the situation. Also it may be like carrying an umbrella and it doesn't rain, if youplan for it it won't happen.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 251 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Today at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.