Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#69195 - 07/16/06 02:31 PM My perfect Field knife
widget Offline
Addict

This is a Stewart Marsh handmade Bushcraft knife. 4.5 in. full tang blade, Scandanavian grind and scary sharp! First attempt at posting a pic, hope it works!

#69196 - 07/17/06 12:21 PM Re: My perfect Field knife
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Nice looking knife
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#69197 - 07/17/06 01:22 PM Re: My perfect Field knife
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
That looks like a direct copy of Ray Mears Woodlore knife. Although it's an interesting question as to wether the design is patentable. I suppose everyone coming out with their own variations on Ray's design could be considered a compliment.

#69198 - 07/17/06 08:02 PM Re: My perfect Field knife
lukus Offline

Loc: TEXAS (where else?)
This might get some of the knife nuts in a wad (and I'm one of them), but with the exception of using the latest greatest materials, there's really nothing you can do in a knife that's not a copy of something already done somewhere sometime. They are tools and form follows function.

I've dabbled in knifemaking off and on for 20 years now, and as much as I'd like to think my designs are totally unique, they're not. I've made some pretty nice knives too, more than a few of them are really decent utility/carry knives (I really should post some pics!).

Having said that, the Mears Woodlore has a nice utility shape but has a chisel grind. Chisel grinds on a knife are left or right hand, and I've always had a problem with them digging in towards the flat side. I think controlled cuts in anything deeper than the width of the bevel is difficult at best. On the other hand, they are "easier" to sharpen because you lay the whole bevel on the stone and sharpen the bevel. No guessing to holding the right angle. You should not sharpen the flat side at all, except to true the flat. You'll ruin the pretty polished finish the first time you sharpen it, and that right there would make a lot of people cringe.

Just my 2 cents. It is a nice looking knife though.

#69199 - 07/17/06 08:22 PM Re: My perfect Field knife
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Why do you think Ray's knife is a chisel grind? Looking at his book, it's a flat grind, much like the one in post above. And they both look like damned effective field knives.

#69200 - 07/17/06 09:36 PM Re: My perfect Field knife
lukus Offline

Thought I might have remembered wrong, so I just googled and read a description, "full tang blade with single bevel". That gives you a cross section like a chisel, hence chisel grind. That's also why I refered to sharpening them correctly. You sharpen them just like a chisel, the whole bevel to the stone, just like a chisel. Very small secondary bevel. Just enough to remove wire edge. So your pretty knife isn't so pretty after you sharpen it, if that matters to you.

It's also a flat grind, not concave or hollow grind which is most common grind on knives because it's easiest and, IMHO not a very good grind profile either on a utility type knife. Flat or convex (like an apple seed) will hold a sharp edge much longer all other things being equal.

#69201 - 07/17/06 09:49 PM Re: My perfect Field knife
lukus Offline

Also, as an example of it "digging in" and being hard to get controlled cuts: take a 2 x 4 and cut two stakes. One with a single bevel cut and one with two bevels. Now try to drive both stakes straight into the ground. You just can't drive the single bevel stake straight. You'll be trying to compensate by kind of hitting sideways and you still can't do it. The knife will do the same thing when cutting anything thick.

But.....like everything else, it's a matter of personal preference. Ray Mears has gotten used to it and finds it works well for him. I would never argue with that man. Drop that rascal anywhere in the world and in 15 minutes he'll have a roaring fire and a 4 star shelter with his knife and a shoe lace. He'll walk out of a desert survival situation having GAINED weight!

#69202 - 07/18/06 01:00 AM Re: My perfect Field knife
widget Offline
Addict

FYI, this is a single bevel, both sides ground equally. The Ray Mears Woodlore is also that type grind.
As for copying a design, that orignally was an Alan Wood design, Ray changed it to suit his taste somewhat and had his logo implanted on the blade. The Woodlore knife has been on back order for a long time now, not accepting orders either. There are several UK knifemakers with exact duplicate design knives and selling them as fast as they can make them. There is a demand and knifemakers are filling the void.
I have plenty of knives and until I owned a few with a Scandanavian grind, I didn't give them much thought. Now I see the advantage of the bevel and it can sure be sharpened easily. As far as the term single grind goes, that means there is one bevel to the point, where a knife like a Buck or Cold Steel had a double bevel, two angles from the blade to form the edge, instead of one...single grind is a proper term. The Bushcraft style knives do not have a "chisel grind" that would be one side beveled. Knives primarliy always have 2 sides beveled, single or double grind. Here is the opposite side

Edited by widget (07/18/06 01:04 AM)

#69203 - 07/18/06 04:17 AM Re: My perfect Field knife
lukus Offline

Ah, my mistake then. Maybe slight difference in terminology use from U.S. and European. Single grind with single bevel discribes a chisel. In the late 80's a mini trend in the knife world was chisel ground blades. Just hated them. Anyway, nice looking blade.

#69204 - 07/18/06 04:59 AM Re: My perfect Field knife
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Looks like the "Woodlore", to give the knife type a generic name, is going to be the definitive design for a bush knife. The not accepting orders bit is a good thing. It means that you won't be fobbed off with a mass produced copy.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 411 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.