The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#129390 - 04/05/08 10:05 PM Deciding which signal mirror and whistle to choose
raptor Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Europe
Hello, I am gradually gathering basic survival equippment. Recently I have purchased StrikeForce fire starter. Next items on my to-buy list are signal mirror and whistle.

Signal mirror:
I narrowed down my selection to StarFlash Ultra Mirror from Ultimate Survival Technologies - approximately 18 USD ( http://www.ultimatesurvival.com/product_view.cfm?product_ID=695 ) and Rescue Flash from Adventure Medical Kits - 9 USD. I suppose both are great. I have read some reviews - for example great reviews here by Doug Ritter and this review from Backpacker ( http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/pop_news.asp?id=2006-10_Backpacker )
But I still wonder which:
- is more reflective
- is more scratch resistant
- is less breakable
- has better aiming technology

My favorite is so far Rescue Flash because it looks like high quality mirror for low price. Does it also float like StarFlash Ultra?
I would be thankful for opinions on those products or even experience of the person who has used them both and can compare them "side by side".

Anyway I could buy both in the future and have one backup mirror for me or someone else.

Whistle:
I will surely purchase Storm whistle and will carry it inside my backpack but I also want something small to my pocket for EDC.
So here are my candidates:

ACME 636 Tornado Slim Line - Marine ( http://www.acmewhistles.ca/ )

Ultimate Survival Technologies JetScream Whistle ( http://www.ultimatesurvival.com/product_view.cfm?product_ID=432 )

Fox 40 Micro Safety ( http://www.fox40world.com/index.cfm?DSP=...ery&id=4130 )

I wonder which performs the best.

Thank you in advance for suggestions, comparison etc.
Cheers.

#129397 - 04/05/08 10:53 PM Re: Deciding which signal mirror and whistle to choose [Re: raptor]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Welcome Newguy!!!

Sorry, I can't help you with the mirror. I have a couple of the starflash types, but the only times I have ever used a mirror for real (to lead a chopper to my location), it was with a plain old two sided thin metal "camping" mirror with a sighting hole drilled in the middle of it.

As for the whistle, the one I carry daily, on a dog tag chain, is the ACR . Flat, pretty loud, and I always have it. Works for me...

#129398 - 04/05/08 10:57 PM Re: Deciding which signal mirror and whistle to choose [Re: raptor]
Be_Prepared Offline
Addict

Loc: Massachusetts
Another whistle to consider is the one made by ACR. It was designed to meet USCG and SOLAS requirements. It's only about $3, but, don't be fooled by the price. I have had it on my EDC keyring for a few years now and although it's not as loud as a Storm, it's pretty good, and it's thin enough that you'll have it with you all the time. I bought them at West Marine, but, I see that Campmor has them for even less:

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=10306

- Ron

#129399 - 04/05/08 10:58 PM Re: Deciding which signal mirror and whistle to choose [Re: Be_Prepared]
Be_Prepared Offline
Addict

Loc: Massachusetts
I guess great minds think alike?

- Ron

#129400 - 04/05/08 11:03 PM Re: Deciding which signal mirror and whistle to choose [Re: Be_Prepared]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Seems like it...

#129401 - 04/05/08 11:56 PM Re: Deciding which signal mirror and whistle to choose [Re: raptor]
raptor Offline
Enthusiast

Thanks for welcome and for suggestion OldBaldGuy, Be Prepared. This whistle looks good too.

ACME Tornado Slim Line is the most accesible for me here where I live (Czech Republic) since local store carries it and in addition itīs not expensive. It exceeds S.O.L.A.S requirements. So I will probably buy it. However If it turns out that Fox or JetScream or ACR are really better I can always purchase them later. I may be wrong but I guess these small whistles performs + - equally.

#129404 - 04/06/08 12:38 AM Re: Deciding which signal mirror and whistle to choose [Re: raptor]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Good evening Raptor and Welcome,

I have done some whistle testing with our youth group and found that the Fox 40, ACR and Acme are near the same sound level, it always came down to the lung power of the kid doing the blowing. Depending on the day and which set of keys or PSK I have with me I could be carrying any one of these whistles. The Storm whistle is louded than the other three but I find it too bulky to EDC. I have never tried a Jet Scream whistle.

I just now put an Adventure Medical Kit Signal mirror (taken from a D. Ritter PSP) into a tub of water, it floated for a little while but when I removed the packaging that had trapped air in it, the mirror sunk to the bottom.

Hope this helps,

Mike

#129409 - 04/06/08 01:14 AM Re: Deciding which signal mirror and whistle to choose [Re: raptor]
raptor Offline
Enthusiast

Thanks a lot, SwampDonkey! Interesting informations.

One thing on ACME web caught my attention - Sportwiz Electronic Whistle (over 120 db) smile. Itīs under Specialty Whistles. Not really for EDC, but it could be interesting equippment in backpack. And Storm whistle as a backup. By the way I also wonder whether those 120+ db could discourage some wild animal attack. But I wouldnīt count on it.

#129410 - 04/06/08 02:02 AM Re: Deciding which signal mirror and whistle to choose [Re: raptor]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

The only whistle I trust is the Fox40. I carry one on a lanyard and another on a zipper pull.

My signal mirror is the type (the brand escapes me ATM) which has the mirror encased in a floating plastic shell. It's vulnerable to scratching so I wrap it in a couple of layers of plastic wrap from the kitchen to keep it scratch free. Glass is the best but it's heavy and won't float.

#129414 - 04/06/08 03:41 AM Re: Deciding which signal mirror and whistle to ch [Re: OldBaldGuy]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I used a signal mirror a lot some years ago (in SAR operations - guiding the chopper in, indicating your location to other teams, etc., and they are extremely effective, efficient signaling tools. i don't obsess about which particular type or the "aiming technology - five minutes practice with whatever mirror you have will make you an expert. Back when I used one routinely, I did carry a heavier glass military type signal mirror. Now that it is less likely to be used, I depend upon the mirror in my compass - it is real glass and the compass case protects it just fine. Some of my kits contain the plastic shaving mirrors with the reflective surface protected by a plastic sleeve

No one ever seems to mention it, but a mirror is really great for lighting up the entrances to mine shafts and caverns.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 387 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.