Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#129419 - 04/06/08 06:31 AM Nasopharyngeal Airway
Troglodyte007
Unregistered

I was looking at including an airway tube in my FAK. I know little about them. Any advice?

#129420 - 04/06/08 08:16 AM Re: Nasopharyngeal Airway [Re: ]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
Only get them if you have training.

Take a look at this: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27798

#129472 - 04/07/08 02:15 AM Re: Nasopharyngeal Airway [Re: JIM]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
I agree 100%. Even though I was shown how to size the airway for the person and we talked about how to do it during my WFR class, there is no way I would pack one in my FAK unless I had practised with it many times.

That was a great link BTW.

#129508 - 04/07/08 05:37 PM Re: Nasopharyngeal Airway [Re: ]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Originally Posted By: Troglodyte007
I was looking at including an airway tube in my FAK. I know little about them. Any advice?

This is basically an identical question to this:

"I am thinking about piloting an airplane, I know little about them. Any advice?"

#129516 - 04/07/08 06:53 PM Re: Nasopharyngeal Airway [Re: ]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Troglodyte007

If you have to ask, then you don't have the qualifications. I'm not being snide, truly.

#129517 - 04/07/08 06:58 PM Re: Nasopharyngeal Airway [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Wikipedia seems to have some pretty good information

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intubation

Originally Posted By: The Mighty Wikipedia.org
Tracheal intubation is a potentially very dangerous invasive procedure that requires a lot of clinical experience to master.

#129531 - 04/07/08 10:07 PM Re: Nasopharyngeal Airway [Re: ]
Troglodyte007
Unregistered

Only get them if you have training.

Take a look at this: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27798

Thanks for that link. That's exactly what I needed!

This is basically an identical question to this:

"I am thinking about piloting an airplane, I know little about them. Any advice?"

LOL!!! But I got an A in flight ground school.

I think some of you are under the impression that I am trying to provide for something more complicated, but look at the link provided by JIM (above) and you will see the tube I am talking about.
"Nasopharygeal airways are sometimes used by people who have sleep apnea (Wikipedia)", so you guys who think I need to be able to fly the space shuttle with a medical degree stapled to my shirt must be thinking about something else. I know there are different kinds of intubation and other airway procedures, some of which are illegal to perform unless medically liscenced.

From what I've seen, inserting a nasal trumpet seems simple enough, just so long as there is no basal skull fracture or other severe head or facial injuries.

I think I'll get one, and if I can successfully insert it on myself, then I will include one in my kit.
As naive as it sounds, I've seen it done on You-tube a couple of times by bored soldiers.
The military issues them to everybody, and they are used on conscious people who might gag on an oral airway tube, and on unconscious victims to ensure their airways remain open while other first aid is performed.

Please understand, I'm not putting this kit together so I can get myself into a lawsuit. I'm not a wannabe paramedic.

#129578 - 04/08/08 01:53 PM Re: Nasopharyngeal Airway [Re: ]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Before I make any comments or suggestions, I would like to first ask you why you envision having a nasal-pharyngeal airway in your kit would be beneficial?

Under what circumstances would you want to utilize the N/P airway?

Pete

#129582 - 04/08/08 02:34 PM Re: Nasopharyngeal Airway [Re: paramedicpete]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: paramedicpete
Under what circumstances would you want to utilize the N/P airway?

And that is the key: WHY you would use (or not use) a tool or technique is of higher priority that HOW.

The Merovingian was not a nice fellow but he was right about the 'why':

"Merovingian:...But this is not a reason, this is not a `why.' The Keymaker himself, his very nature, is means, it is not an end, and so, to look for him is to be looking for a means to do... what?

Neo: You know the answer to that question.

Merovingian: But do you? You think you do but you do not. You are here because you were sent here, you were told to come here and you obeyed...our only peace is to understand it, to understand the `why.' `Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. `Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless. And this is how you come to me, without `why,' without power. Another link in the chain."

#129631 - 04/08/08 10:31 PM Re: Nasopharyngeal Airway [Re: paramedicpete]
Troglodyte007
Unregistered

I would use one to secure an open airway.
"When a patient becomes unconscious, the muscles in the jaw commonly relax and can allow the tongue to slide back and obstruct the airway."

"Where an artificial form of airway maintenance is necessary but it is impossible or unadvisory to use an oropharyngeal airway, the preferred type of airway adjunct. For example, in a patient having epileptic seizures whose teeth are clenched shut.
Also, oropharyngeal airways often trigger a patient's gag reflex, while nasopharyngeal airways often do not."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 398 Guests and 42 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.