The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#127261 - 03/14/08 02:17 AM My Fisherman's Friend Box
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Usual disclaimer: I have neither affiliation with or experience with the "Fisherman's Friend" cough drop company in any way.

I took a "Fisherman's Friend" tin box (hinged) and have placed basic fishing equipment in it. Hooks of various sizes, swivels, a cork, and 20 ft of monofilament line, has hardly taken up the space that the box has within it.

I may go ahead and include a yo-yo fishing reel later since there is sufficient room for one, or I may find something more useful to add to it.

This small kit has gone into my BoB (the 1 supplied to allow me to work my way through 700-800 miles of countryside in order to get home if TSHTF while I'm on a towboat working).

IRT the other thread about the Family Friendly SHTF plan, I have to have this special plan besides the "Bugging In" and the Bugging Out" plans in order to have all reasonable contingencies/situations covered.

At the moment, when I deploy to my towboat, I am carrying: my EDC, a PSK, and a BoB. I have reduced the redundancy factors dramatically but I'm still packing about 50LBS altogether.

#127267 - 03/14/08 02:44 AM Re: My Fisherman's Friend Box [Re: wildman800]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Not having a clue what Fisherman's Friend actually is, and what the box might look like, I had to do some googling. All I found was pictures of "paper" packages, so I still don't have a clue...

#127268 - 03/14/08 02:46 AM Re: My Fisherman's Friend Box [Re: OldBaldGuy]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

They are cough drops (EXTREMELY STRONG) and they come in tin boxs (like Altoids).

#127269 - 03/14/08 02:49 AM Re: My Fisherman's Friend Box [Re: wildman800]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

"...like Altoids..."

Same size box???

#127270 - 03/14/08 02:52 AM Re: My Fisherman's Friend Box [Re: OldBaldGuy]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I think it's the same. What better label to stick a fishing kit in can you think of???? I love "irony"!

#127280 - 03/14/08 05:36 AM Re: My Fisherman's Friend Box [Re: wildman800]
katarin Offline

Loc: Ca, usa
yea, it's the same size as an altoids tin. as i have both in my pack.

#127284 - 03/14/08 12:21 PM Re: My Fisherman's Friend Box [Re: wildman800]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Originally Posted By: wildman800
Usual disclaimer: I have neither affiliation with or experience with the "Fisherman's Friend" cough drop company in any way.

I took a "Fisherman's Friend" tin box (hinged) and have placed basic fishing equipment in it. Hooks of various sizes, swivels, a cork, and 20 ft of monofilament line, has hardly taken up the space that the box has within it.

I may go ahead and include a yo-yo fishing reel later since there is sufficient room for one, or I may find something more useful to add to it.

This small kit has gone into my BoB (the 1 supplied to allow me to work my way through 700-800 miles of countryside in order to get home if TSHTF while I'm on a towboat working).

IRT the other thread about the Family Friendly SHTF plan, I have to have this special plan besides the "Bugging In" and the Bugging Out" plans in order to have all reasonable contingencies/situations covered.

At the moment, when I deploy to my towboat, I am carrying: my EDC, a PSK, and a BoB. I have reduced the redundancy factors dramatically but I'm still packing about 50LBS altogether.

I have 40' of fly-fishing backing line in mine. It's much easier to handle than monofilament.

20 medium hooks. For setting long lines.

Assorted split shot and swivels.

2 large gaff hooks.

2 silicon gigs. For hobo fishing.

2 wire leaders.

Tip: put your hooks on safety pins. Makes them much easier to handle.

As a general rule: You cannot have too many hooks and the more line you have the better.

Thats just a pocket kit. I have a slightly larger kit that goes in my bag. One thing worth having is hooks already on line. They are commercially available for a couple of dollars for 10.

#127288 - 03/14/08 01:32 PM Re: My Fisherman's Friend Box [Re: wildman800]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

"...What better label to stick a fishing kit in can you think of????..."

Ya got me there, that is a good one...

#127290 - 03/14/08 01:50 PM Re: My Fisherman's Friend Box [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
wildman800,

I hope your BOB has a happy home right next to a big orange gumby suit. I like the fishing kit, and I also like that suggestion about putting hooks on safety pins.

One of my thoughts for you might be, how far can you take the boat. If the TS really HTF, a boat may provide you, your family and some of your crew and/or their family with a means to get away from the fan that just got hit.

I like the idea of a BOB on boat for a few reasons, provided you are ready to leave it behind if it hinders you in a distress situation on board (don't really see that as a problem). If you ever need to leave the boat in a hurry, it could provide you with additional means and supplies until someone finds you. Something you have may help you get out of a bad situation either easing your departure from the boat or, better still, allowing you to stay on it safely.

Additionally, I hope your family has a plan for bugging in or bugging out without you. You may find yourself in an area that does not permit you to get to them. You may be fine, they may be fine, and there may be all h____ breaking loose between you. However, if lines of communication get cut, you also may not know that this is the case.

Think about putting some redundancy into your communcations. When on a boat, I know that in most cases get to someone that had a SSB. If you found a decent used SSB and had it for your family, that might provide a link. It might also cut down on the phone bill. If you work steady on one boat, perhaps you or your engineer can add an SSB to it's gear. I know used units can be pretty cheap.

Stay safe.

#127305 - 03/14/08 04:43 PM Re: My Fisherman's Friend Box [Re: Dan_McI]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Dan_Mcl,

What band is the SSB you refer to? I am assuming the Marine VHF band, yes no? Not being a comm guy I'm guessin' here.

Edited by MoBOB (03/14/08 04:43 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.