Topic Options
#125708 - 02/29/08 01:48 AM PLB - GPS Question
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
A friend recently wrote me:
Quote:
I cannibalized an "AA" battery from my Garmin GPS and didn't replace it for a couple of days. Consequently, my Garmin's internal clock was 2 days behind when eventually I replaced the battery and switched on the handheld. Under these conditions (time error 2 days and location error a dozen miles), the handheld needed 20 minutes to synch time and location.

I would hope that PLBs have internal clocks for fast GPS synch time?

Does anyone know? Do PLB's have an internal clock? Is the question irrelevant since they don't have to snych up with a prior known time and point?

How long do PLB's take before they can acquire good GPS coords? I assume it's going to vary widely with terrain, but does anyone have a good link for this?

thanks!

#125716 - 02/29/08 02:36 AM Re: PLB - GPS Question [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
Do PLB's have an internal clock? Is the question irrelevant since they don't have to snych up with a prior known time and point?

PLBs do not have any internal clock related to the GPS. The GPS is required by the PLB standard to "cold start" every time. This ensures that there is no "confusion" while the PLBs first tries to find itself where it thinks it was, which may be the problem your friend had. Older GPSes were particularly bad about this. Newer GPSes are better, they more quickly recognize they are "lost." When a GPS "warm starts" it assumes it is where it was when turned off and assumes the satellite information is had downloaded (ephemeris data and almanac) is still current. If it is not, then it won't find the GPS satellites where it expects them to be and gets "lost" and "confused." Eventually it has to decide via internal logic to give up and start from scratch and download new ephemeris data and almanac.

Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
How long do PLB's take before they can acquire good GPS coords? I assume it's going to vary widely with terrain, but does anyone have a good link for this?

By always starting cold, a PLB eliminates this problem, but that means it always has a short delay to download the data. Even doing that, newer units under optimum conditions will generally get a location within a first few 406 bursts, which occur at 50 second +/- intervals. There can be complications and it can take longer when conditions are less than optimum. See the 406 Beacon Reports on ETS for more info.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 387 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.