Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#122125 - 01/31/08 02:28 PM sticky tape
BillLiptak Offline
Enthusiast

I don't know about everybody else but I hate it that my mini-duct tape roll smears its sticky glue over the inside of my kit. Alas, that's what makes duct tape the marvel it is........
So I got to thinking, how can I eliminate the problem? And then it hit me, plumbers teflon tape. Minimal thickness, will "stick" to itself when wrapping, eases slipping roll in and out of PSK, and now I've got a foot of teflon tape in my kit too.
So if anybody else has this problem, and I'm sure if you carry duct tape you do, try wrapping it in teflon tape and enjoy the convience of sticky free PSKs

-Bill Liptak
P.S. Hey Blast, I finally figured out how to start a new post (evidently) from my phone. I am smart.....S-M-R-T! WOO HOO

#122128 - 01/31/08 02:56 PM Re: sticky tape [Re: BillLiptak]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Plumbers teflon tape as in pipe seal tape? I'd think that would be too thin.

You can get a similar creature for electrical uses however. It's just like electrical tape but sticks only to itself when you stretch it. It's pricey compared to other tapes but it's zero mess and you don't have to worry about heat turning your tape into a sticky mess.

The only issue with either type is that you have to be wrapping something. If you're just patching something it's not so useful.

#122132 - 01/31/08 03:17 PM Re: sticky tape [Re: ]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
i just leave it in the plastic bag it came it..i don't know what
company makes the tape that is used in the mini rolls but it sure works better than the tape in the big roll--no matter what brand..

Edited by CANOEDOGS (01/31/08 03:18 PM)

#122135 - 01/31/08 03:28 PM Re: sticky tape
BillLiptak Offline
Enthusiast

Hey Hacksaw, yea the pipe seal tape is what I'm talking about, but I think you misunderstood. Or, more likely I'm an idiot who didn't make himself clear.
I wasn't talking about replacing the duct tape with teflon tape, I was talking about wrapping the duct tape IN teflon tape. Kinda looks like a mummies thumb now.....
This way it slips into a tightly packed kit a smidgeon easier and won't leave a tacky residue on adjacent items.

-Bill Liptak

#122143 - 01/31/08 03:52 PM Re: sticky tape [Re: BillLiptak]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
Hey Blast, I finally figured out how to start a new post (evidently) from my phone.

Then you are ahead of me in your techno-wisdom. grin

I'm still trying to understand your teflon tape stuff. Can you supply a link? Thanks!

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#122147 - 01/31/08 04:21 PM Re: sticky tape [Re: Blast]
Kris Offline
Addict

Loc: A Canadian Back in Canada
My approach to the duct tape mess was wrapping the duct tape in enough wax paper to cover it, twice (kind of fold it up like your wrapping a burrito) and then wrap two elastic bands around that to hold everything. I personally use those thick bands that women use for their hair (like some sort of covering on the band itself so that hair does stick or tangle in it).

I've been in situations where my wife needed one of those hair bands but she didn't bring along her purse.. Voila... I was her hero for that minute.

Kris

#122148 - 01/31/08 04:29 PM Re: sticky tape [Re: BillLiptak]
xbanker Offline
Addict

Loc: Anthem, AZ USA
Bill-

Good solution for containing "duct tape goo" in a kit, but me and Teflon tape just never get along. I use it when I need to on pipe threads, but for an otherwise competent guy around the house, I can't tear off a length without getting it all "scrunched up" so I have to resort to scissors, which does nothing for my pride grin So for me, it's not the best thing in a kit, especially if the ol' fingers might be cold and numb. My solution to the goo-problem: I put my small repacked rolls of duct tape in little craft-size Ziploc bags ~2-1/2" x 2" like I use to segregate other PSK components. Makes access a little easier for my fumble-fingers.

Please forgive the slight drift to your thread, but speaking of duct tape, for folks new to the forum, or otherwise not familiar with the product — consider trying Gorilla Tape from the makers of Gorilla Glue. Duct tape on steroids. Prior threads discussing the merits here and here .

#122149 - 01/31/08 04:30 PM Re: sticky tape [Re: Blast]
BillLiptak Offline
Enthusiast

Unfortunatly I can't create a link on my phone, but the basic idea is to take your mini duct-tape roll and wrap it top to bottom in the teflon tape letting the teflon tape over lap on the ends and pushing it down so the sticky of the duct tape adheres to it. The teflon will stick to itself while wrapping up the body, so it won't unravel there.
The teflon tape I'm referring to is the stuff they use in plumbing and air compressor hard line pipe work. The stuff you wrap over the threads to prevent water or air leaking out of the joints.
Hope I clarified it up, Hacksaw called it pipe seal tape...its the same thing.

-Bill Liptak

#122151 - 01/31/08 04:35 PM Re: sticky tape [Re: BillLiptak]
stevenpd Offline
Journeyman

Loc: SoCal
I use the surveyor's tape around my roll of duct tape. The color helps to identify it as well.

#122152 - 01/31/08 04:40 PM Re: sticky tape [Re: stevenpd]
ducktapeguy Offline
Enthusiast

Instead of teflon tape, you should try using self fusing silicone pipe tape. It can usually be found in the plubming section of most stores and at Walmarts.

It's somewhat similar in feeling to electrical tape, but without the adhesive, and much thicker. It actually has no adhesive, it only sticks to itself like saran wrap does. To use it you stretch it out then wrap it around an object and on top of itself. After a while, it fuses to itself like a cast and is like having coated the part in a rubber layer. The only way to get it off is to cut it, and it comes of cleanly

Not only is it waterproof and can withstand extreme temperatures, but it can be used in auto repairs to fix leaky hoses or to waterproof odd shaped objects. It can withstand quite a bit of pressure, a lot better than a duct tape repair.

This is what it looks like

http://www.cshyde.com/Silicone%20Self%20Fusing%20Tape.htm

Cost about $5 per roll.

EDIT: I misunderstood also, I thought you were carrying teflon tape to use as a tape. If you want to avoid the stickyness of duct tape, just wrap it in saran wrap.

Edited by ducktapeguy (01/31/08 04:48 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 454 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.