Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#121391 - 01/25/08 02:17 AM Gear Review: Initial Impressions
hamilton Offline
Journeyman

I received a package in the mail today from county comm., containing the following items (By the way, I am in no way associated with County Comm, nor do I profit in any way from this review. Unless someone offers advice. But I don't think I can get in trouble for that wink )

MPCC - Multi Purpose Carry Case - Extra long

Pocket Sharpening Stone

Compact Candle Lantern

P-51

Diplomat Pocket Organizer

So without further ado, my initial impressions:

MPCC - Multi Purpose Carry Case

First up is the MPCC. I recently acquired a MP3 player, but did not have a good way to carry it. So after an exhaustive search, I decided on the MPCC. I got the extra long version, because I thought it would give me room to stuff in my earphones as well. I don’t think I realized just how big this case was going to be. The case measures in at a conservative 5.5 x 3.25 x 0.5 inches. My case is classic black, and locks closed with Velcro. The inside is tac-soft, which I have had no experience with previously. There are two pockets, a large interior pocket and a smaller pocket on the front of the case. The horizontal carry strap is quite unique. Looking towards the back, there are three straps, one on the right and two on the left. The two on the left sandwich the one on the right, and are secured with Velcro. It appears to be quite secure. Carried horizontally, the case cannot span belt loops. My MP3 player and ear phones easily fit inside with room to spare. This thing is big, maybe too big. I’m not sure how comfy it will be on my belt. Only time will tell if the size will be too annoying for me to carry daily.

Pocket Sharpening Stone

Next up is the pocket sharpening stone. The plastic case for the stone is just slightly larger than 3 x 0.5 x 0.5 inches, not including the key ring. The stone itself is 2 x 0.75 x 0.75 inches. The case is two pieces; one piece has a rectangular slit for sharpening pointy objects (fish hooks). The stone arrived lightly glued into the plastic case. Lightly tapping the stone through the fish hook slot dislodged the stone. I don’t have much to say about this stone, as I have not touched up a blade with it yet. I’m worried about the case however. It’s held closed with two tiny wedges of plastic. If these broke or wore away through use, my stone would fall right out. I’m considering wrapping a rubber band around the case to insure my stone stays where I want it, on my key chain. I’m also considering removing the case entirely, and putting the stone in my ditch kit, since I’m not like to need it on a daily basis.

Compact Candle Lantern
Small tea light candle lantern. Made of glass, plastic, stainless steel and aluminum. Comes with one tea light candle. Lantern is cylinder with height of 4.75 inches and diameter of about 2.25 inches. The bottom can be removed to light or change candles. I lit it up briefly, and noticed the top became hot almost immediately. I don’t think this is a major concern. The lantern didn’t put off much light, but I expected this since it does use tea light candles.

P-51

This is the big brother of the classic P-38 can opener. Labeled “US SHELBY CO” on the back, it’s just a cool little item I threw in. This can opener is only 2 x 0.75 inches. I have keys that are bigger. Haven’t opened any cans yet, but will soon. My only concern is the tip. Not an issue when laying flat, but even closed the blade can lift up from surface. I can see stabbing myself pulling keys from my pocket.

Diplomat Pocket Organizer

This is a neat little organizer. It has a lot of nice features. At about 7 x 4.5 inches, I had expected it to be slightly bigger. It doesn’t need to be. For fun, I stuffed it with everything I usually carry in my pockets, and then some. It really eats up stuff. In the end, it had two pocket notebooks, two pens, two sharpies, a pen light, a mechanical pencil, my wallet and my keys. In the outside pocket I put my cell phone and a bic lighter. I probably could have gotten more in there, but didn’t try any further. I really like the straps on the back. It easily attached to the molle straps on my camelback mule. However, it ripped off pretty easily, so I’m a little worried about it staying on the outside of my pack. I think I’ll add a carabiner to the grab handle for security. The only feature I don’t like is the metal zipper pull. I can’t stand the jingle of zippers. I’ll probably replace it with just a pull cord. It deserves a more thorough review; hopefully I can get back to it later.

I’m going to ask to borrow my room-mates digital camera when he gets in. I’ll try to get some pictures up.

#121396 - 01/25/08 03:06 AM Re: Gear Review: Initial Impressions [Re: hamilton]
kilgor Offline

Please do post pictures, especially of the pocket organizer. laugh

#121398 - 01/25/08 03:26 AM Re: Gear Review: Initial Impressions [Re: kilgor]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

On P-38s I usually wore mine around my neck hung on a piece of light line out in the field. A habit from C-ration days. The blade on these don't often fall open but just to make sure I take a half-hitch over the main body and flip-up blade. Seemed reasonable because if it was to open it might take a considerable chunk of skin out of my sternum. With a half-hitch over it I never had one open until I opened it.

I'm less familiar with John Wayne's bigger brother but it is something to keep in mind.

Just a thought.

I'm looking forward to reading your evaluations of the new gear.

#121404 - 01/25/08 03:45 AM Re: Gear Review: Initial Impressions [Re: hamilton]
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
I have a couple of the MPCC standard length cases and they are quite nicely made. You are right about the unusual belt attachment. I can just force my GPS in one and attach it to my backpack strap. I should get the larger one though as the tight fit sometimes presses on the mouse joystick on my Garmin Legend.

Good luck with the other stuff. I would definately put a bit of cord or a ranger band around the P51 cutter if I carried one in my pocket.

#121411 - 01/25/08 10:36 AM Re: Gear Review: Initial Impressions [Re: Schwert]
LumpyJaw Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Virginia, USA
Thanks for the post. I find myself at the countycomm website a couple times a week always thinking that I would like to just say "one of everything please".
The stone and the pocket organizer are of particular interest to me. Thanks for the insight on both. Hope you can get the pics up soon.

#121414 - 01/25/08 12:53 PM Re: Gear Review: Initial Impressions [Re: hamilton]
mho1970 Offline
Stranger

Loc: KY
Originally Posted By: hamilton
P-51

This is the big brother of the classic P-38 can opener. Labeled “US SHELBY CO” on the back, it’s just a cool little item I threw in. This can opener is only 2 x 0.75 inches. I have keys that are bigger. Haven’t opened any cans yet, but will soon. My only concern is the tip. Not an issue when laying flat, but even closed the blade can lift up from surface. I can see stabbing myself pulling keys from my pocket.

I have 2 P-51's from Countycomm also. I have put a piece of heatshrink around the "blade" and shurnk it. The heatshrink has the advantage of no sticky residue left behind like electrical tape.

#121416 - 01/25/08 01:58 PM Re: Gear Review: Initial Impressions [Re: mho1970]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
I have a P-51 on my key chain, and previously, I had a P-38 on my key chain. I've never put anything around them to protect myself from it. I also have not bled because of them.

#121420 - 01/25/08 02:46 PM Re: Gear Review: Initial Impressions [Re: Dan_McI]
Crowe Offline
Journeyman

+1 on the diplomat pocket organizer, I find it to be a really handy pouch to put some fiddly bits from my tool kit in. Cheaper Than Dirt offer a similar one MOLLE Pocket Pouch which actually has a few more features, but I prefer the County Comm one for its simplicity.

#121511 - 01/26/08 11:34 AM Re: Gear Review: Initial Impressions [Re: Crowe]
kd7fqd Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Saratoga Springs,Utah,USA
I EDC a p-38 with a little scotch tape around the edge to keep it from opening

Mike

#121520 - 01/26/08 04:18 PM Re: Gear Review: Initial Impressions [Re: kd7fqd]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
I've noticed the same problem with the P-51.

BTW, I have 2 of the little sharpeners, one in my camping gear, 1 in my BOB. I just broke one out today and it worked great! Touched up my S30V blade in a few strokes. About 20 strokes on each side to get one of my 440 blades back to near-shaving sharp.

Now,before you think it, NO, I'm not really outstanding at blade sharpening! So I'm pretty happy. I wish I could find this stone in a bigger, kitchen, size.

I've got the Diplomat too, but from a different vendor. Not a bad item. I use it to keep some odds and ends in my backpack for when I spend the night at the hospital. Contact case, eyedrops, my inhaler (you never know), toothbrush, paste, spare change, padlock for locker. it's too crowded for belt wear (and kind of big), but it's great at keeping stuff in one place.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 458 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.