The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#119824 - 01/12/08 07:36 PM Preparedness for vegans
capsu78 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Chicagoland IL
Here is an interesting link that matches up emergency preparedness with vegans. Vegans at special risk due to lack of vegan protein in a short to midterm emergency.
Some decent lists as well as specialty info.

http://www.vegparadise.com/survival.html

#119825 - 01/12/08 07:54 PM Re: Preparedness for vegans [Re: capsu78]
CityBoyGoneCountry Offline
Enthusiast

If you were starving to death and I offered you some rabbit meat, would you really turn it down?

#119829 - 01/12/08 08:37 PM Re: Preparedness for vegans [Re: capsu78]
billym Offline
Addict

Loc: Oakland, California
Being vegan is a luxury of a modern world. In a survival situation all humans are omnivores.
If you are vegan then store a lot of dried tofu, whole grains and various dried veggies.
Bill

#119831 - 01/12/08 09:02 PM Re: Preparedness for vegans [Re: billym]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
And vitamins. I don't know about others, but Vitamin B12 is only found in animal products: fish, meat, poultry, eggs, milk. True vegans don't eat any of that stuff.

A deficiency of B12 causes anemia and reduced cognitive function, which can evolve into dementia- and Alzheimer's-like symptoms.

But I've got to agree with billym.

Sue

#119835 - 01/12/08 09:26 PM Re: Preparedness for vegans [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
capsu78 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Chicagoland IL
CityBoy,
Hope your not asking me... If God didn't mean for animals to be eaten, why did he make them so tasty?

The issue for a vegan, should you happen to have one in your survival pod (think teenager or worse, son in law), would be could their stomachs take to processing meat, or would you end up with a "belly achin' vegan" a day or two later, rather than just a hungry vagen today?

I know who would take the blame for this in my household!

#119841 - 01/12/08 11:01 PM Re: Preparedness for vegans [Re: capsu78]
Enthusiast

I found this at the bookstore today:
http://www.amazon.com/Edible-Wild-Plants-North-American/dp/0806974885

Might be the one and only book I pack in my BOB.

#119876 - 01/13/08 05:47 AM Re: Preparedness for vegans [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
bmisf Offline

How disappointing and mean-spirited of so many of you. (I'm not a vegetarian - just surprised at some of the responses; this seems to be an emerging attitude here, and I hope it stops.)

If someone wants to not eat meat, what's it to you? It's certainly far less of a drain on the world's resources. And it's not just a modern phenomenon, nor a "luxury".

Anyway, dried legumes, tofu, grains are all good ideas. They'll store longer than meat. Even for those who eat meat, probably not a bad idea to keep a good stock of all of these at hand.

#119880 - 01/13/08 01:22 PM Re: Preparedness for vegans [Re: bmisf]
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: bmisf
If someone wants to not eat meat, what's it to you?

It's nothing to me. If someone chooses to starve to death rather than eat meat it will actually help me out, because I'll eat them.

#119881 - 01/13/08 02:09 PM Re: Preparedness for vegans [Re: bmisf]
hamilton Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: bmisf
How disappointing and mean-spirited of so many of you. (I'm not a vegetarian - just surprised at some of the responses; this seems to be an emerging attitude here, and I hope it stops.)

If someone wants to not eat meat, what's it to you? It's certainly far less of a drain on the world's resources. And it's not just a modern phenomenon, nor a "luxury".

I completely agree. I'm not a vegetarian either, but I think instead of criticizing people for such a choice, we should offer constructive advice. Not, "you will starve unless you eat this rabbit", but saying that food isn't a immediate concern in most survival situations. Sheltering your body, getting a supply of clean water, and signaling for help are the first major concerns of survival. Food comes later. This is the same for everybody, omnivore, carnivore, vegetarian, vegan and cannibal alike.

However, I think most people on this forum store a supply of food in their homes. Why should we expect other people to change their diets during an emergency, to conform to our norm? Why can't we offer advice particular to their situation? People should store food that they eat, and will eat. Not food we think they should eat, for whatever reason. If a vegetarian offered you a block of tofu they stored in their pantry, will you refuse it and starve?

#119884 - 01/13/08 02:40 PM Re: Preparedness for vegans [Re: hamilton]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
If I were a vegan and starving, I might easily find myself eating any meat available. However, I also think vegans might have trouble if their diet changes quickly. Moreover, it's their choice to eat meat or not, IMO. If they choose to starve, that is their choice. They'll know it when faced with it.

I think the difficulty for a vegan if they are faced with a need to change is that they might not be prepared to do so. I have a few things in my BOB for catching animals, should I ever need to. Kind of tough to test out a snare trap in NYC, and your choice of prey is limited to mostly things I do not want to eat. If push comes to shove, we'll see if I am willing to choose to change my diet to strangled rat.

Nevertheless, a vegan's best bet is to prepare and store some food. I might suggest a good store of dried fruits and vegetables, like: http://www.harmonyhousefoods.com/mainhome.html.
The TVP would work for protein. Rice stored can last almost indefinitely, if not cooked or found by other life forms. Some things that would allow some hunting would also be a good idea, if the vegan should decide otherwise when desperate, but your opinion may differ.

Edited by Dan_McI (01/13/08 03:02 PM)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 474 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.