Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#119388 - 01/08/08 07:43 PM New Bushwhacker Stove
trailgear Offline
Stranger

Greetings ...

There's a new wood gas stove COMING SOON!

The best two features about this stove is it's adjustable air intake ports, that allow for heat control and variable cooking times. You load it once with fuel (wood), light and walk away, no need to baby sit and constantly add fuel to the fire.

Edited by trailgear (01/09/08 04:38 PM)

#119397 - 01/08/08 08:04 PM Re: J. Falk's New Bushwhacker Stove [Re: trailgear]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
http://www.motherearthnews.com/DIY/1984-03-01/Make-It-and-Take-It-Hobo-Stove.aspx

A coffee can with some holes in the top and bottom seems to work about as effectively, weighs maybe half as much, costs nothing. it does produce smoke, it doesn't produce charcoal, and I would not be inclined to walk away from it, but I am unclear as to the value of these latter features.

#119421 - 01/08/08 10:26 PM Re: J. Falk's New Bushwhacker Stove [Re: nursemike]
Blitz Offline
Gear Junkie
Addict

Loc: MA
I just ordered the compact wood burning stove. Should be here in a couple of days. I will post a writeup when I get a chance to use it. Its a 2 piece design that nestles inside itself and can also be used as a food warmer.

here is a link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pN30_tG7S3A

I am not affiliated in any way. Just thought it was pretty cool.

Blitz

#119806 - 01/12/08 10:33 AM Re: J. Falk's New Bushwhacker Stove [Re: Blitz]
TheSock Offline
Addict

Loc: London England
What is the advantage of a wood burning stove over just making a camp fire?
The Sock

#119811 - 01/12/08 02:12 PM Re: J. Falk's New Bushwhacker Stove [Re: TheSock]
Blitz Offline
Gear Junkie
Addict

Loc: MA
A stove concentrates the flames in a smaller area therefore burns hotter and more efficiently. Also in some areas you may not be able to have an open camp fire or it may not be convenient to build a fire. In addition you can use twigs and small branches instead of logs so it is more expedient. I'm one who likes my coffee first thing in the morning, I remember one time trying to boil water on a grill over a camp fire, it took forever, I wasn't a happy camper grin (pun intended) Most of my fellow campers that had to be around me were not happy either.

Blitz

#119813 - 01/12/08 02:47 PM Re: J. Falk's New Bushwhacker Stove [Re: Blitz]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I doubt that any area that prohibits open fires will allow the bushwacker. Just carry a small canister stove and then you don't have to worry about how wet things have become.

#119861 - 01/13/08 02:54 AM Re: J. Falk's New Bushwhacker Stove [Re: hikermor]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Actually, I've used my coffee can chimney stoves and their smaller sibling places where open fire was banned and becuase the embers are contained it is kosher. I also brought along a cut down #10 to act as a base, so there was minimal scorching of the ground.

Of course, I've also had a thumbs down on them. It depends on your location, and I always get such authorizations in writing. Odd how different people read the same regs differently.

The biggest advantage I see with this kind of thing over a fire is time. Needs less fuel, so you spend time gathering, it gets hot quicker, so you spend less time cooking, and it goes out quicker, so you spend less time twiddling your thumbs before you can be moving. Time is one of the few things you can't put in a pack.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#119870 - 01/13/08 03:48 AM Re: J. Falk's New Bushwhacker Stove [Re: ironraven]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
There is quite a difference between your turf (Vermont) and mine (SoCal/Arizona). I have seen it dry enough that, regulations aside, I didn't feel comfortable lighting anything. In those conditions, it is hot enough that cold meals are absolutely no problem at all.

#119895 - 01/13/08 05:13 PM Re: J. Falk's New Bushwhacker Stove [Re: hikermor]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Actually, we get very dry here at times. Most of my permit experience though has been in NH, which has pretty harsh permitting modeled after CA's. People have been fined for having stoves but no permits in the NFS land- it is all the discretion of who snags you. And there isn't really an appeals system.

Although, that is like striking a spark in a tinder box. You're basically standing in a puddle of gas. :P I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable with a stove there at certain times of the year. Cold meals and MRE heaters, I've got no desire to light that big a signal fire. *laughs*

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#120031 - 01/14/08 03:14 PM Re: New Bushwhacker Stove [Re: trailgear]
atoz Offline

Loc: Nevada
The guy in the video is dangerous. He could have very easily have had a forest fire on his hands as he did not clear any area around the stove. You could not also leave this stove un attended as it flamed up fairly easily. This stove would NOT be allowed, at least in CO, when the firedanget is high which is usually every summer. But it is a neat idea.

Cheers

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 270 Guests and 94 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Today at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.