Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#118241 - 12/31/07 02:38 PM What about this lighter?
Jeff Offline

I was thinking the Bic Surestart would be better my for PSK since it has the extension arm and holds more fuel.

What other advantages are there of the surestart lighter over the standard bic lighter?

Are there any disadvantages other than size when compared to the standard bic lighter?

http://www.amazon.com/Lighter-BiC-Surest...5497&sr=8-1

Thanks.

Edited by Jeff (12/31/07 02:39 PM)

Jeff

#118260 - 12/31/07 05:25 PM Re: What about this lighter? [Re: Jeff]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
I have a few of these for use in the fireplace and lighting candles. I like the extension especially when lighting a candle. If you use a small bic, you are more likely to burn the hair on your hand if not more.

I am not sure of the brands we have, but if you buy one try it out. We have some I like, and some I hate. They are cheap enough to buy another. If I remember to check I will post which ones I like and do not like as far as brands.

One of the advantages of these longer lighters is that cold fingers may have an easier time using one. You need two fingers, one for the gas and one for the spark, but cold fingers should be able to work the better ones.

I have not thought about putting one in my BOB. I will now. Now, my BOB has two small Bics, water & wind proof matches and regular wooden matches. A new Spark-Lite is enroute via UPS after bieng on order for a while. Cannot tell you what happened to my other Spark-Lite. I think it got into the garbage when I added other stuff to my old BOB.

#118321 - 01/01/08 04:18 AM Re: What about this lighter? [Re: Jeff]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Give it a try.

My concern with long lighters has always been the nozzle. It looks like it is a potential weak point in terms of taking abuse- if it breaks, what happens? No more flint? Does it start to vent?

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#118394 - 01/01/08 06:17 PM Re: What about this lighter? [Re: ironraven]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Our household has gone through something like a dozen long-nose lighters. The Bics are the strongest and most reliable of the bunch. DW likes them for lighting candles and the wood stove. I used an empty one to light an old propane barbecue for a couple of years; it sparked every time. Great for starting camp stoves too.

I'm not convinced it holds more fuel than a standard Bic. I can't find any hard info to confirm that suspicion.

For a PSK, though, I think ironraven is right in advising caution. If the nozzle gets mangled or badly rusted, it may fail to light. A standard Bic is far more robust, and you can carry five of them for the same price/weight/size as a long-nose job.

My two-cents' worth.

#118427 - 01/01/08 10:23 PM Re: What about this lighter? [Re: Dan_McI]
red Offline

Are the long-nosed lighters piezoelectric ignition? I've had nothing but bad luck with anything piezoelectric. Once, I had to use my ferro-cerrium (sp) to get a piezoelectric stove lit. I sent the stove back.

#118435 - 01/01/08 11:16 PM Re: What about this lighter? [Re: red]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
FWIW, I have never come across a long-nosed butane lighter with a flint-wheel ignition system. The closest I've seen is flint igniter for camp stoves. No fuel on board those, though.

#118474 - 01/02/08 02:28 AM Re: What about this lighter? [Re: dougwalkabout]
SouthDakotan Offline
Stranger

The container that holds the lighter fluid inside those is the plastic section of a bic lighter if I remember right.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 429 Guests and 467 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.