The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#117568 - 12/26/07 03:22 PM need backpack advice for EDC
ScouterMan Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
Hello all. Merry Christmas.

Now that I have all of these neat gift cards from Christmas, I wanted to upgrade some of my equipment. The first place to start is my EDC.

Currently, I use a messenger bag for my EDC. While this is a huge upgrade over my previous kit (an emergency poncho in my lunch box) I am limited in what I can carry. I want to upgrade to a daypack, but have a few issues.

First, I am a "full figured" guy. 6', 230 lb former powerlifter, size 50 sport coat. Most regular daypacks are very constricting through the shoulders. I had to resort to using a frame pack whenever we went on any Scout hikes in the past. Add in a winter coat here in New England and fit becomes a big problem.

Secondly, since I take public transportation to Boston (commuter rail and subway) I need something that won't stand out and draw unwanted attention from the federales.

Any advice would be appreciated.

#117572 - 12/26/07 03:42 PM Re: need backpack advice for EDC [Re: ScouterMan]
Kurt_W Offline
Stranger

Scouterman,

Merry Christmas to you. I am a fuller-fuller figured man so I understand your challenges with finding a backpack. And I also commute to Philly each day and have to carry both EDC supplies and work gear (laptop, files, etc). My strategy is to carry a smallish kit of essentials with me and a full BOB kit in my car.

After many backpacks and messenger bags over the years I have settled on a backpack by Tom Bihn. Messenger bags don't work for me because, frankly, I carry to much stuff smile So after research I purchased the Brain Bag ( Tom Bihn bags ) along with their laptop sleeve and snakecharmer. It's a great pack, well made and sized for people like us. I don't know about the size of the waist strap (I know it doesn't fit me, but I am larger than you) but I they have excellent customer service. The build quality of the bag is first rate. This backpack survived 1 1/2 years commuting in and out of NYC and is still going strong 6 months into my new commute. I expect I will fail before this bag ever does.

As a pack it is relatively simple, three outside pockets, two main interior divisions. The larger outside pockets have pen holders and such in them, but otherwise the bag "an empty canvas". The main compartments each have two strips of webbing sown into them (about 1/2 inch wide). They are designed for the clips for their laptop sleeves but I have used them to clip lots of things. And TomBihn will send you extra clips if you need them. The back is padded and ventilated and very comfortable. Loaded my pack is about 18 - 22 pounds and I have carried it for two hours or more commuting without a problem. It's also gone through some thunderstorms waiting for the train without getting the interior contents wet.

I keep my EDC supplies in a pouch that my daughter made, tucked below my laptop sleeve.

If you are looking for other ideas back on Dec. 1 I posted a question to the forum on what else I should include ( Commuter EDC kit http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=10094&Number=114448#Post114448)
and got a lot of great responses.

Best of luck in the new year,
Kurt

Edited by Kurt_W (12/26/07 03:43 PM)

#117580 - 12/26/07 05:01 PM Re: need backpack advice for EDC [Re: ]
Kris Offline
Addict

Loc: A Canadian Back in Canada
I too am not a small guy, and i used to edc an oakly pack for years (forget the name). Just a few weeks ago I got a timbuk2 orignal commute (the wax canvas version). Just wished it came in more sizes other then medium. I carry a bit of stuff and actually had to remove some stuff for it all to fit!

Maybe its a blessing in disguise? Maybe I carry too much stuff? I had to ditch the amk .9 first aid kit (modified) that I use to carry 24/7. Now i'm edc'ing a much smaller fak and feel quite under prepared.

On the other hand, its a super organizer and once you place everything in the bag, its like it was made for everything.

Kris

#117584 - 12/26/07 05:26 PM Re: need backpack advice for EDC [Re: ]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I use a Swiss Army Shoulder bag/briefcase pack that has a handgrip, a removable messenger type shoulder strap, and optional tuck away padded backpack shoulder straps. I've used it for the past three years in all three modes and found it quite comfortable and versatile. I've packed it with an extended use EDC, my laptop, and file folders to where it weighs maybe 40-50 lbs at times and been able to move through the streets of Manhattan and the subways and trains on daily commute just fine.

Sadly, I do not remember the model designation, nor does it appear that SA carries that model any longer. Glad I grabbed mine when I did. For urban carry, it can't be beat.

I used to use a smaller Everest messenger type bag (not with the big flap, but with a top zipper and front pockets) for my EDC, but now that I find myself traveling more and having to tote my laptop, the SA is a must. The shoulder srap mode is decent for daily carry, and the backpack straps are more suited to longer excursions afoot or where I really need to keep both arms unencumbered. I don't necessarily like carrying backpack style during urban commute because I can't see my pack when in a crowd and I've already caught one SOB getting in my bag that way. Fortunately the cops got him before I could.

#117586 - 12/26/07 05:32 PM Re: need backpack advice for EDC [Re: ]
Kris Offline
Addict

Loc: A Canadian Back in Canada
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
If I recall the Commute for about 3 years now comes also in Xtra Large. I had an orange XL for about a year until it was stolen from my car. It wasn't very big, though. In comparison to the Large and Extra Large sized messengers Timbuk2 has...it was small. The large and extra large Timbuk2 messenger bags are gigantic. I think mines a large or a medium the one I have. Not sure anymore.

The orignal commute (http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/laptop/original-commute) only comes in medium, where the commute (http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/laptop/commute) comes in medium and extra large.

The reason why I choosed the orignal commute, was the wax canvas, and i was thinking that it would be approx the same size as the medium messenger bag (thats what i get for not comparing dimensions!!!).

It'll be a good excerise to see if I can pare down my edc equipment.

Kris

#117654 - 12/27/07 04:41 AM Re: need backpack advice for EDC [Re: ScouterMan]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
We're about the same size. Depending on how much stuff you need to carry, I might suggest my old standby- LL Bean Continental Ruck. About 2000ci, maybe a little less, and in red or blue it is socially invisible. If you want to add a pouch to the top, the straps can be laced through the webbing of a PALS pouch (4-5 channels wide), and if you go with black for the red or blue it won't stand out too much.

I used mine through high school and college, for one and two day hikes, and with a few additions it was BOB for a long time. It's lost some of the waterproofing over the years, and it has a few scuffs, but no tears, no torn seams. And it's fairly inexpensive, to.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#117666 - 12/27/07 01:27 PM Re: need backpack advice for EDC [Re: ScouterMan]
onetim Offline
Stranger

I like a shoulder bag more than a day pack for commuting. The key to a good shoulder bag is the shoulder strap. Find one that is contoured and slip proof. A shoulder bag can be simply set between your feet when riding the T or carried in your hand while maneuvering tight aisles. A pack is too bulkie on the back and unyielding in tight spaces. When worn with only one strap over a shoulder you're forced to keep a pack in place with a hand.

If you really want a day pack, I'm sure you can find one that fits at one of the specialty backpacking stores (REI, EMS, etc). Many high end packs come with different sized shoulder straps.

Check out Patagonia's "One Bag". It's about 1300 cubic inches (the size of a big day pack), has a decent shoulder strap, a couple of handles, and converts to a back pack when necessary. It's their smaller version of the MLC carry on bag.

OneTim

#117668 - 12/27/07 02:29 PM Re: need backpack advice for EDC [Re: ScouterMan]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Hi Scouterman,

You might be interested in the Ortlieb Track Pack avilable at

http://www.ortliebusa.com/cartgenie/prod-146.htm

The German made Ortlieb gear is tough, durable, waterproof and quality is excellent if a little pricey.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 601 Guests and 76 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.