Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#111930 - 11/08/07 03:53 AM BUGGING OUT??READ THIS FIRST--
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
Fleeing Hitler-France 1940
By-Hanna Diamond--Oxford University Press..

i read the run-down on this today in the New York Review
of Books..just what happens when a million people hit the
roads in an attempt to flee to safety..and just not the
French but those in Belgium were also on the roads...
and after the war the displaced and the Germans who were
expeled from Poland,Hungary,Czechoslovakia all on the move.
in England,Churchill made plans to pervent mass exodus in
that country in case the Germans invaded..
pick it up at a library and save the $30 for MRE's...

Edited by CANOEDOGS (11/08/07 05:00 AM)

#111936 - 11/08/07 04:38 AM Re: BUGGING OUT??READ THIS FIRST-- [Re: CANOEDOGS]
massacre Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Central Illinois
Will put it on the list to order at the library, thanks.

#111942 - 11/08/07 07:42 AM Re: BUGGING OUT??READ THIS FIRST-- [Re: massacre]
ame Offline

Loc: Korea
I also recommend this book:

World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War, by Max Brooks

It's fiction (no, really!) but in my opinion the way it is written accurately predicts the behaviour of all kinds of groups of people around the world when faced with a large disaster. In this case it is zombies, but I think Max Brooks' observations would apply to real events. It's entertaining too.

My favourite chapter is the one where everyone escapes to the country in their RVs. It's like a giant, friendly picnic at first, but then winter approaches, and soon all the trees have been chopped down. Food becomes scarce...

(This is in no way meant to belittle the actual events of WWII, but for a work of fiction it painted some very realistic and believable scenarios).

A

#111945 - 11/08/07 01:14 PM Re: BUGGING OUT??READ THIS FIRST-- [Re: ame]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

What do you guys suggest I do then, bugging out is a priority for me due to my neighborhood. even durig normal times out hood has gotten to where we don't feel safe any more. Our house has been up for sale for six months now.
Yesterday my wife was on the phone with me when she saw someone looking in the window at her, last week the homicide dectives came buy gathering information about a murder down the street from us. Our vehicles have been broken into and vandalized, shed broken into, etc.
Were trying to get out of there but any decent neighborhood the housing costs 2-3 times as much and I don't think I can stretch the budget that much.

#111946 - 11/08/07 01:14 PM Re: BUGGING OUT??READ THIS FIRST-- [Re: ame]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks is also a very entertaining book. While it's fiction it's very well written...if one didn't know (or believe) zombies weren't real you'd swear it was fact. It also has some really relevant observations which could apply to a real survival situation.

#111947 - 11/08/07 01:22 PM Re: BUGGING OUT??READ THIS FIRST-- [Re: Eugene]
Farmer Offline

Loc: Mid-Atlantic
We were in your position 9 years ago. Friday and Saturday nights, you could listen for the gunshots and then the sirens shortly thereafter.

Do whatever you have to do to get out. Redefine your concept of "decent neighborhood." Look at properties further out - they will cost less. Go through all your "stuff" and unload anything you don't need at flea markets or ebay - you'll be surprised how much money you have sitting around.

This is not a seller's market, and your type of area won't sell fast or high anyway. Try to find a realtor that specializes in your neighborhoods - he or she will have more contacts to buyers and to financers who are used to those conditions.

It took us more than six months to sell ours, and we just managed to get out of it without losing money.

We had gotten to the point where we figured that even if we lost some money, it still would have been better than renting.

#111950 - 11/08/07 01:45 PM Re: BUGGING OUT??READ THIS FIRST-- [Re: Eugene]
Frank2135 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio, USA
Eugene, are there any good neighbors you can band together with to form an informal neighborhood watch, or even a formal one?

You are the best judge of your situtation, of course. It's just that the more good people who walk away from a transitional neighborhood, the worse it gets. That may seem obvious, but it is true.

If enough of you stand your ground, watching out for each other, calling the police at the first hint of trouble, testifying against them in court, etc., "they" will go away. The problem is, it takes time and commitment and a certain amount of risk tolerance. Of course, you don't want to jeopardize your family in the process, which is what makes standing one's ground an extremely difficult decision.

It can work. There was an urban neighborhood not far from here a few years back that had four or five families agree to set up video cameras in their front windows to cover the activity on the street 24-7 for a few weeks. Then they turned the tapes over to the police. Investigations and arrests followed, and the neighborhood became known as a "no fly zone" for the bad element.

Frank2135

#111951 - 11/08/07 02:03 PM Re: BUGGING OUT??READ THIS FIRST-- [Re: Frank2135]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

What has happened is it was a nice quiet old neighborhood. Now all the old people have either moved into retirement communities or died and their houses sell for cheap and people rent them out through the government assistance program.
We have one good neighbor who works out of his home and is there during the day, he's a CCW holder and goes to a gym with some of the local police so he helps out a lot but we are out numbered by a large amount.
We have cleaned house and gotten rid of everything we don't need, went though and upgraded anything anyone complained about when the realtors did a showing.
Our biggest problem is the lack of police support, we have a 30 minute response time for them to come and take the report, slap the bad guy on the wrist and let them go.
Last year two drug addicts drove into my house. They got a $65 ticket for failure to maintain control, had enough time to walk back to their house and change clothes to get rid of the drug smell and my insurance ended up paying out 12k in damages.
My problem is while I can stand my ground, my wife and two kids are at home during the day while I'm not. Also to get cheaper home prices requires extending my drive to work to greater then the 30 minutes it is now so finding a house isn't going easy. We have dropped the price on ours to where were not going to get much profit at all which kills the down payment for the next house.
We have been standing our gound for the last couple years and fighting but the re-elections this week the same mayor was re-elected who is at the root of the problem. His philosophy is intergate the bad people with the good and they will get better so they close the government assisted housing in the inner city and move those people out to neighborhoods like ours. Well nine out of ten of the people they move don't want to change and just end up causing trouble. Were basically fighting city hall at the highest level and we don't have enough resources to do it so getting out is really our only other option.
So bugging out for any thing is also our other option. Our one good neighbor has a seroius relationship with a girl living in a suburb so he spends most of his time there when he's not working so its coming down to just us, I can't be there and on guard 24x7 and if we have another major storm like the one a couple years ago I don't want the rest of the hood to see our house as the only one with power and heat, they help themselves to our stuff enough as it is already.

#111952 - 11/08/07 02:39 PM Re: BUGGING OUT??READ THIS FIRST-- [Re: Eugene]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
the choice to go or stay is so personal i could never
suggest one way or the other what to do..the point of the
book is how people behave.. WW I was still recent
history for many people, they did not want to get caught up
in another war..the dislocation and break down of socal order
was just about as bad as what would have taken place if they
stayed home...students kill a teacher who was trying to get
them to safety--fighters strafe the roads--a guy from
Paris who saved his collection of china got run down while
standing on a street corner when he went back for more--
Churchill saw those problems and worked on plans to keep
the British from "bugging out"..i recall Blast did a post
of what it was really like on the roads during someting as
"simple" as a hurricane evacuation..on TV all i saw here
in Minnesota was a freeway jam and none of the real world
nutzy stuff Blast told us about..when i went camping last
spring i looked around at the nice remote car camping site
at the end of the road in northern Minnesota and thought how
it would make a good bug out site..it only took a second
to see that it would be full of local people who got there
first that that idea would not fly--in fact i thought i
would not even get out of my part of town let alone zoom
north on a freeway to hide out someplace..but--anyway--my
real world survival concerns revolve around what i might
do to get thru a wilderness canoe trip mishap..i posted
the book as food for thought--

Edited by CANOEDOGS (11/08/07 02:42 PM)

#111959 - 11/08/07 04:58 PM Re: BUGGING OUT??READ THIS FIRST-- [Re: Eugene]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Loc: on the road 10-11 months out o...
Originally Posted By: Eugene
What do you guys suggest I do then, bugging out is a priority for me due to my neighborhood. even durig normal times out hood has gotten to where we don't feel safe any more. Our house has been up for sale for six months now.
Yesterday my wife was on the phone with me when she saw someone looking in the window at her, last week the homicide dectives came buy gathering information about a murder down the street from us. Our vehicles have been broken into and vandalized, shed broken into, etc.
Were trying to get out of there but any decent neighborhood the housing costs 2-3 times as much and I don't think I can stretch the budget that much.

Eugene, BUG OUT!!!! If you think there might be an emergency. I know that bugging out seems to be an unpopoular idea, but if you cant defend your property during normal times then please leave before you would have to during and emergency when the niehbors might get serious.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.