Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#111685 - 11/06/07 05:31 PM Les Stroud vs Bear Grylls
CityBoyGoneCountry Offline
Enthusiast

Personally, I think Les Stroud is the man. He goes it alone, no crew whatsoever, and legitimately lives off the land for 7 days. Bear Grylls on the other hand... well... check out these videos:

Survivorman Vs. Bear Grylls

Man vs. Hotel: Bear Grylled

Bear Grylls is a Fake

#111686 - 11/06/07 05:35 PM Re: Les Stroud vs Bear Grylls [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

This month's Outdoor magazine has an article where Bear Grylls comes clean about the whole issue. I don't think it was ever his intent to be a fake...it's just the way the show was put together and represented on TV and in the press.

#111688 - 11/06/07 05:39 PM Re: Les Stroud vs Bear Grylls [Re: ]
Rio Offline

Loc: Pacific North West
Personally I find bear to be more entertaining than less, but both are great shows IMO. Sure, Bear may be fake, but so is CSI wink

#111692 - 11/06/07 06:10 PM Re: Les Stroud vs Bear Grylls [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
justin2006 Offline

Loc: New Mexico
Even better -- take a look at this video -- imitation of Bear:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDQC5YfDVpI

#111701 - 11/06/07 06:33 PM Re: Les Stroud vs Bear Grylls [Re: justin2006]
DrmstrSpoodle Offline

I like watching both shows, personally, and I'm really looking forward to Season 3 of Man vs. Wild. Both shows remind me of hiking and messing around in the woods behind my stepdad's house when I was a kid, and all of the "adventures" I would get into hanging out in there all day.

I have fond memories of just me, my Swiss Army knife, some waterproof matches, a plastic spork, and maybe a can of beef stew or soup going and hanging out for a whole afternoon. Watching both shows makes me feel like a little kid again. I miss those days now more than ever since both my stepdad passed away recently and those woods were torn down to make room for low-income housing. Watching both Bear and Les take me WAY back, back in the day...

#111710 - 11/06/07 07:20 PM Re: Les Stroud vs Bear Grylls [Re: DrmstrSpoodle]
Henry_Porter Offline

I also enjoy both shows. The concept/premise of the two shows are different, which makes for good variety. I mainly watch for entertainment and armchair adventure rather than instruction. Plus, it's fun to watch people eat gross stuff.

#111717 - 11/06/07 07:43 PM Re: Les Stroud vs Bear Grylls [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Who cares, it's simply TV. Look at past posts, you should see more than a few on Bear and his show.

#111718 - 11/06/07 07:54 PM Re: Les Stroud vs Bear Grylls [Re: Stu]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Season 3 will include a disclaimer so that there is no misrepresentation. They're also going to include the crew in the footage and make it clear that they are there and the role they play.

#111722 - 11/06/07 08:44 PM Re: Les Stroud vs Bear Grylls [Re: Stu]
CityBoyGoneCountry Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: SBRaider
Look at past posts, you should see more than a few on Bear and his show.

Actually, before I posted this I did a search to see if it had already been discussed, and the search results showed nothing at all about Bear Grylls.

#111724 - 11/06/07 08:59 PM Re: Les Stroud vs Bear Grylls [Re: ]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
The problem I've had with Bear from the beginning, before his "outing" in the media, is that, first, a lot of what he's modeling to kids is poor survival practice and, second, some of it down right dangerous. Yes, he has some good stuff in there, real survival techniques, but unless you already know something about survival, how do you sift out the good from the bad?

Example of the first: He's emphasis on speed. Any survival situation can be compounded by injury. The last thing you want to do, short of an avalanche bearing down on you or the like, is to emphasize speed and risk injury. Also, one needs to conserve energy. This is just poor survival practice.

Example of the second: In one episode, he climbs directly down the face of a water fall because he doesn't want to take the chance of getting separated from his watersource. Well, I wouldn't want to get separated from a water source either, but climbing down a water fall is an extremely dangerous thing to do. If you don't slip just from the wet surfaces, the force of the rushing water may cause you to lose your purchase. In the episode I'm thinking about, they show the water shooting off the waterfall and hitting Bear with great force. The water shoots out around him. The only way I can think of to hang onto the face of a waterfall in the midst of such force is to be clipped in with some kind of harness. Kids will be thinking that they can do it unaided.

I think his show is generally irresponsible although it can be quite entertaining to those of us who see right through the idiotic portions.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 458 Guests and 108 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.