Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#110180 - 10/26/07 07:28 PM The knife blade on my Wave is jammed; Please Help
Erik_B Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Somewhere in my own little wor...
I just got my new Leatherman Wave a few months ago. When i first got it, everything worked fine. Now the knife blade is getting stuck. I can still open it one-handed, but it's tough. the other blade still opens as it used to, so it's easy to compare and tell the difference. I haven't used the blade for anything other than cutting, so it shouldn't be bent. I tried running it under the tap, adding a few drops of oil, and just working it back and forth, but it's still not opening right. What should i try next? I'm hesitant to use a strong solvent for fear it might corrode the metal. Is it possible to remove the blade? What kind of tool would I need?

Originally Posted By: ironraven
...Shopping appeals to the soul of the hunter-gatherer.

#110182 - 10/26/07 07:48 PM Re: The knife blade on my Wave is jammed; Please Help [Re: Erik_B]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
It sounds like there's some crud or sticky stuff in there. Even goo from fresh veggies or tree sap can form a kind of glue.

Have you tried a spray lubricant with a little more penetrating power? WD-40 or Liquid Wrench come to mind. I don't think these would hurt the bronze bushings.

BTW, have you been doing any super-heavy twisting with the pliers? That might be a factor, don't know for sure.

It takes a special tool to take the blade out. It's probably not a good idea to try. Leatherman's warranty is first-class; just send it and let them fix it.

Edited by dougwalkabout (10/26/07 07:50 PM)

#110188 - 10/26/07 09:07 PM Re: The knife blade on my Wave is jammed; Please H [Re: dougwalkabout]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
. . .Leatherman's warranty is first-class; just send it and let them fix it.
My first thought was Customer Service.

#110193 - 10/26/07 09:39 PM Re: The knife blade on my Wave is jammed; Please H [Re: Russ]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Originally Posted By: RAS
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
. . .Leatherman's warranty is first-class; just send it and let them fix it.
My first thought was Customer Service.

I've broken Leatherman tools before, through outright abuse. They were promptly repaired (and upgraded with later-model parts) without question. They've earned my brand loyalty.

Jeff

#110194 - 10/26/07 09:47 PM Re: The knife blade on my Wave is jammed; Please Help [Re: Erik_B]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
The serrated blade on my Wave did the same thing a few days ago, right after I accidentally dropped it in the dirt. I dribbled some Breakfree on the hinge, hit it with some pretty high air pressure from a compressor, nothing. Then, after a few days, and a lot of openings/closings, it suddenly started working fine again. I assume that a little grain of sand or something got inside, and is just took a bit for it to work its way out...

#110208 - 10/26/07 11:21 PM Re: The knife blade on my Wave is jammed; Please Help [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Erik_B Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Somewhere in my own little wor...
i haven't tried WD-40 yet, I'll try that. If that doesn't work, I'll send it to Leatherman CS and let them deal with it.

...Shopping appeals to the soul of the hunter-gatherer.

#110212 - 10/26/07 11:57 PM Re: The knife blade on my Wave is jammed; Please Help [Re: Erik_B]
DrmstrSpoodle Offline

Not to rain on anyone's parade but I haven't had this problem with the Swisstool I got! XD

#110223 - 10/27/07 01:14 AM Re: The knife blade on my Wave is jammed; Please Help [Re: DrmstrSpoodle]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Don't say it too loud. I've seen a Swisstool come back from the Middle East that was basically jammed with pliers open, can't imagine the tools are any less likely to gum up.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#110237 - 10/27/07 04:58 AM Re: The knife blade on my Wave is jammed; Please Help [Re: ironraven]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Don't say it too loud. I've seen a Swisstool come back from the Middle East that was basically jammed with pliers open, can't imagine the tools are any less likely to gum up.

Yea, just about any multi-tool or folding knife built to tight tolerances can suffer the same problem. It's the nature of the beast.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 320 Guests and 78 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Herman30
Today at 08:10 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.