Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#109004 - 10/18/07 02:48 PM PSK Revisited (photos)
WILD_WEASEL Offline

Loc: Afghanistan
In the 1930s, the Mountaineers, a Seattle-based hiking, climbing, and conservation organization, came up with a list of 10 essential items that no climber should be without. These original Ten-Essentials server as the guide for what I have included in my kit. If I added a small local map, I would be covering seven of the recommended ten.

ORIGINAL TEN-ESSENTIALS
1. Map
2. Compass
3. Light
4. Extra Food
5. Water and a Way to Purify it
6. Rain Gear and Extra Clothing
7. First Aid Kit
8. Pocket Knife
9. Matches and Fire Starter
10. Sun Screen and Sunglasses

Thought I'd share some photos of my current PSK. I’m getting ready to go through it and change out shelf life items along with a general reorganization to make the kit more functional in an emergency situation. My thought is add a simple neck lanyard holding the whistle, compass, and mirror, as these are items I’d use often in an emergency situation. In an emergency I’d get the lanyard from my tin, putting it around my neck, allowing immediate access to the mentioned items for signaling and navigation. This would minimize the potential of losing items while fumbling around for the compass or signaling gear.

One additional item I'm considering adding is a MacGyver Multitool, aka a large paper clip. Like my red bandana it has a 1000 in 1 uses.

If I removed the Leatherman and Scalpel from my PSK there would be no legitimate reason that it could not be in my carry on during air travel, HOWEVER, some well meaning security person may interpret these items together in a tin as suspicious. Over the past year I’ve made several international trips with these items scattered throughout my computer bag and they have not drawn a second look.

http://i7.tinypic.com/4fua9aa.jpg
http://i9.tinypic.com/33cufds.jpg

MY UPDATED KIT'S CONTENTS:

Tin-With Reflective Tape In Lid-Stored In Water Proof Vacuum Bag
Lanyard with;
• Signal Mirror
• Compass
• Whistle
Survival Instructions
X2 Pieces Rip-Stop Nylon Tape
X6 MicroPur Water Purification Tables
X2 Gerber Breast Milk Bags
X2 Large 2”x3” Elastic Plasters
X2 Medium 1”x3” Elastic Plasters
X4 Butter Fly Closures
Scalpel Blade
3 in 1 Antibacterial Cream
X2 Aspirin
Heavy Duty Thread / Fishing Line
Leatherman Micra
LED Light
Sparker
X4 Fire Tinder
Snare Wire
Heavy Duty Needle
Misc. Fishing Tackle
X4 Safety Pins
Large Paper Clip

#109023 - 10/18/07 07:37 PM Re: PSK Revisited (photos) [Re: WILD_WEASEL]
DesertFox Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York, NY
Nice, compact kit. I'd suggest putting the photon light on the lanyard too. Don't want to lose your only light source in the dark.

#109030 - 10/18/07 08:27 PM Re: PSK Revisited (photos) [Re: DesertFox]
dchinell Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: FL
How do you plan to use the MicroPur (1 quart) tablets with the Gerber breast milk bags (1 pint)?

I've pretty much settled on a standard arrangement for air travel.

I have a BCB miniature lunch box with most of my gear in it. No sharps. I also have a Tacoma Mountain Rescue tube tent that I repackaged into a heavy-duty 1 quart ziplock bag.

In the tent bag I also have a couple more of those ziplock bags. They just fit there much better than in the BCB tin. There's also a hank of mason's twine for rigging the tent.

Bear

#109032 - 10/18/07 08:38 PM Re: PSK Revisited (photos) [Re: dchinell]
bmo Offline

Initially, I had the exact same question. I came upon this explanation on the ETS website (water purification section, Micropur review) that set my mind at ease:

"We also inquired about the safety of using the tablet at higher concentrations, in other words, in less than a liter/quart of water, as might be the situation with an improvised water container in a survival situation. We were told that this could be acceptable for short term use. A higher concentration (less water) may result in unpleasant taste or odor. If someone has an adverse reaction to chlorine dioxide in general (which is a rare condition), this risk would increase (similar to the case with those having adverse iodine reactions). However, in an emergency situation, no negative health issues would be expected."

http://www.equipped.org/watrfood.htm#WaterPurification

#109034 - 10/18/07 08:57 PM Re: PSK Revisited (photos) [Re: bmo]
dchinell Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: FL
BMO: Good to know and thanks for pointing that info out to me.

Wild Weasel: Is this your plan? To use one tablet per pint? Or do you plan to split the tablet or what?

Bear

#109037 - 10/18/07 09:28 PM Re: PSK Revisited (photos) [Re: dchinell]
WILD_WEASEL Offline

Loc: Afghanistan
Bear, EtAl.,

My plan would be to spit a tablet between the two Gerber bags, if no other containers were available.

On two recent trips to India I was able to buy “certified” water from Chemists (Drug Stores) for just a 20 Rupees, in 1 liter bottles. For the most part I was working at a location 5 kilometers from my hotel and always carried a bottle or two of potable water with me along with 4 Cliff bars in my computer bag. Toward the beginning of July the monsoons here quite heavy with flooding in Mumbai (Bombay) that almost stranded me for the night away from the hotel.

While not in the wilderness several of the items in my kit could have and did come in handy. In one case I got a rather nasty cut on my finger that I promptly cleaned, with bottled water, smeared on so antibiotic ointment and bandaged. Power outages are also a common occurrence in India even under the best of conditions, so my LED light was always at hand.

I also carried my entire 30 day supply of anti Malaria meds with me, along with a full 7 day course of Cipro.

Oh, and while I’m at it forget travelers checks. $500 US in your shoe is the best travelers insurance you can carry.

#109090 - 10/19/07 02:05 AM Re: PSK Revisited (photos) [Re: WILD_WEASEL]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Splitting it between dollars and euros might get you further.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 429 Guests and 467 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.