Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#108280 - 10/10/07 07:01 PM Train Derailment in Lake County, Ohio
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
A train derailment in Lake County, Ohio (along the Painesville-Mentor border) has caused evacuations and a possible hazardous materials situation.

http://www.wkyc.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=75851

http://www.wkyc.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=75849

Let the discussions of how to prepare for something like this in your locality begin…

#108311 - 10/11/07 12:31 AM Re: Train Derailment in Lake County, Ohio [Re: JCWohlschlag]
DrmstrSpoodle Offline

Pretty scary considering that's only about a 90 minute drive away from me. Also, even more so that there's another set of active train tracks right down the road from my apartment building, which, I'm told, have the steepest incline allowable in my area.

Looks like I really need to pay attention to everyone else's ideas...

Not to change the subject, but did anyone catch the news about the school shooting in Cleveland as well? It's pertinent to me, anyway, because I'm a NE Ohio resident as well. Looks like my area is having a pretty bad day. I'm just glad that not too many people were hurt and I hope that the bad events taking place here don't get worse.

#108319 - 10/11/07 01:47 AM Re: Train Derailment in Lake County, Ohio [Re: DrmstrSpoodle]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
A train derailment causing a fire or toxic incident would be one of the few things that would cause me to bug out. I'm just half a mile from an unbarred crossing.

This brings home that I should check my bug out kit that's near the front door.

In order:
1) Throw kit into truck. Toss tent, pads, blankets & pillow in.
2) Put steel tethers on dogs, secure in cab of truck.
3) Shove all cats into prepared pillowcases and tie tops with the attached shoelaces.
4) Throw both large wire folding dog crates into back of truck.
5) Put bagged cats into two large plastic crates in truck (sitting on top of collapsed crates.
6a) If night, pluck the four hens off their perches & shove into medium plastic crate, put in truck.
6b) If day, & hens are running loose, call while rattling can of grain, when they approach, toss grain into the crate. ('The Girls' have been trained to do this.)
7) Leave. Since it would probably be temporary, I would probably go down to the WallyWorld parking lot and camp out there. But if they opened the day parks to temporary camping, I would go there instead, so we could spread out.

If I had additional time, I would collect some bottled water and the plastic kit of food from the floor of the pantry, take the dog and cat food, plus a few pounds of layer pellets.

But these plans are for a very localized, short-term evacuation under severe time limitations.

Sue

#108336 - 10/11/07 12:12 PM Re: Train Derailment in Lake County, Ohio [Re: Susan]
Shadow_oo00 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
laugh stuff cats in pillow cases laugh Had to say that, sorry Sue smirk I have tracks just across the road from my place, for the most part they transport coal, but there are times when its a mixed assortment, I think I'm going to do some checking around to see if I can find out what they carry.

1.Heard dogs in truck ( hard to get them in pillow cases}
2.Food & Water (travel trailer is stocked but extra never hurts)
3.Hook up travel trailer
4.Leave

Truck already has extra gas, food, water and BOB bag in it.

Prepare Or Not To Prepare That Is The Question. The Answer, You Better !!!

#108355 - 10/11/07 02:55 PM Re: Train Derailment in Lake County, Ohio [Re: JCWohlschlag]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
I’m thinking that it may be a good idea to reorganize all of my important documents, too. I’m considering filing them into one of the Rubbermaid-type containers that accommodates the hanging file folders, then putting that container into a drawer somewhere.

This would be in lieu of just having the hanging file folders in a filing cabinet drawer. It’s pretty difficult to remove all those hanging file folders when I need to evacuate, even more difficult to remove the drawer from the filing cabinet, and darned near impossible to take the whole filing cabinet.

#108457 - 10/12/07 12:22 PM Re: Train Derailment in Lake County, Ohio [Re: JCWohlschlag]
el_diabl0 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NE Ohio
I'm west of Cleveland and this happened on the east side so I wasn't affected, but it did get me thinking what I'd do in that situation. Apparently gridlock ensued after the highway was closed down. I always have my BOB in the car, as well as a couple of N95 masks, and some food and water. I could have walked out of the evacuation zone if necessary and been OK as far as the basics.

If my home were in the evac area, I'd have to go home for the animals (dog and 2 cats) if I knew I'd have to be out of the house for an extended period of time, depending on the threat level.

#108491 - 10/12/07 07:22 PM Re: Train Derailment in Lake County, Ohio [Re: Shadow_oo00]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Well, yes, it does sound funny, but it is surprising how well it works.

The initial idea (for me) came from hearing of an Australian woman who was evacuating from a firestorm several years ago, and that's what she did.

I recalled it one day when I had to take several cats (including my sister's, who live with her, now) to the vet, and didn't have enough carriers. Apparently, not being able to see the landscaping whizzing by, they were extraordinarily calm and quiet.

However, I did learn there is a "best way" to do it, for anyone interested:

Place the pillowcase on a bed or floor, and open it with the end seam as the bottom, and gather all "sides" in a circle around the exposed bottom. Set cat calmly on the bottom, then quickly bring up the sides and close it so the cat is completely covered. Tie securely with a shoelace. (I've tried everything -- shoelaces are best.)

For those who want to just stuff an upset cat into an open bag with one hand on each, please refer to Blast's recent epic: "Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding" at http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=106205#Post106205

This method also works well for snakes, but not for chickens.

Sue

#108555 - 10/13/07 03:21 AM Re: Train Derailment in Lake County, Ohio [Re: Susan]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Originally Posted By: Susan
3) Shove all cats into prepared pillowcases and tie tops with the attached shoelaces.

Sue, you must have very, very mellow cats- what is in those prepared pillowcases? Catnip? Catnip mixed with pot? grin All of mine would have either cut their way out of the bag or knock themselves out trying.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 390 Guests and 63 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.