Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#108056 - 10/08/07 01:56 PM how do you use compass ring buit-in a watch?
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

How do you use the compass ring built-into a watch? Does anyone have a watch with compass ?

http://www.txwatches.com

#108061 - 10/08/07 02:27 PM Re: how do you use compass ring buit-in a watch? [Re: picard120]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Maybe 'cuz it's early, and I had a late night, but I could not find anything about a "compass ring" at that site. Finally located one model that mentioned an electronic compass, which has a bezel "...the bezel serves as the compass rose to track position..." I have to assume that the bezel simply lets you set the heading you want to follow at, lets say, the 12 o'clock position, then when you hold your wrist in the proper position you can sight across the face from 0600 to 1200, pick a target, and head toward it.

I have a Casio Triple Sensor with built in digital compass. Works fine, seems to be pretty accurate when compared with a "real" compass. And undoubtedly cost a whole lot less than a "luxury" watch made in Europe. Not real fancy to look at of course, but considering how hard I am on watches (the face always seems to get scratched within the first couple of days I own one), I would never buy a high dollar watch...

#108062 - 10/08/07 02:28 PM Re: how do you use compass ring buit-in a watch? [Re: picard120]
Meline Offline

I haven't done this myself to actually navigate but it was covered in a Land Nav course I took once.

You're supposed to hold wrist level in the center of your chest, 12' oclock pionts in your direction of travel directly in front of you, you then determine N/S (we used hour hand at sun and half way between teh hour hand and 12 Oclock is South in the Northern Hemisphere), once you have figured out North/South you orientate the ring to N/S. Finally as you are turning to face your direction of travel you rotate the compass ring to maintian its N/S orientation. Once you are facing teh right diection you use the watch as a reference point and rework your N/S every 10 minutes or so.

As you can guess teh error factor is pretty high.

The new compass watches like teh one you showed and Timex E-compasses have a watch hand or LCD that points North for you which makes things easier as you dial teh azmiuth you want to travel at 12' oclock, and then line up teh North hand or LCD with the North on the ring.

#108111 - 10/09/07 03:29 AM Re: how do you use compass ring buit-in a watch? [Re: Meline]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
I always wondered how that worked too. I had to read through the post a couple of times to get a basic understanding. Thanks for that smile

#108126 - 10/09/07 11:38 AM Re: how do you use compass ring buit-in a watch? [Re: Stretch]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I've also used the bezel as an azimuthal measurement, referring to a plumb line to establish the horizontal/vertical orientation.

You can also use it to keep track of other angular measures instead of having to write them down, such as last bearing to target etc.

I am sure there are various other uses as well.

#108130 - 10/09/07 01:17 PM Re: how do you use compass ring buit-in a watch? [Re: picard120]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
From 730 - TX Fly Back
Quote:
The electronic compass allows for declination, while the bezel serves as the compass rose to track position. . . .
* Electronic compass with magnetic declination compensation - Accurate to +/- 10 degrees. . .
Battery: Panasonic CR2016 Battery life: 6 years

Interesting that they are getting more life out of the CR2016 battery with this watch than they do with the others (4 years) that don't have an electronic compass. That doesn't make sense unless they're using two batteries.

So many people can't navigate with a real compass and then they put an electronic compass in a watch.

As stated, the bezel serves as a compass rose. Assuming the red airplane looking needle is the electronic compass indicator (no digital readout that I can see), turn the bezel to orient North with the needle. (???)

If you have this watch and really intend to use it as a survival tool since it's available, practice with it when you also have a real compass to compare.

#108136 - 10/09/07 01:37 PM Re: how do you use compass ring buit-in a watch? [Re: Russ]
Meline Offline

"As stated, the bezel serves as a compass rose. Assuming the red airplane looking needle is the electronic compass indicator (no digital readout that I can see), turn the bezel to orient North with the needle. (???)"

Right, You put your Azmiuth of travel at 12' oclock, then you turn your body till you align the North hand with North.

The LCD ones I have seen are Timex Expedition watches at Wal-Mart.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.