The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#106634 - 09/22/07 06:03 AM Oil lamp questions
xavier01 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Phx, AZ
For Y2K, I bought several oil lamps, filled them with oil and they have been sitting on shelves ever since. Instead of conducting experiments, I'll play it safe and just ask here.

If there is a power outage, is there anything I need to do before I light my lamps? Will they start? Do I need to invert the lamp to get the wick wet?

I hope I never need them, but who really knows?

Thank you for all your help!

Phx, AZ

#106637 - 09/22/07 08:02 AM Re: Oil lamp questions [Re: xavier01]
LED Offline
Veteran

As long as the bottom of the wicks are in the oil they should be fine. As a kid I put olive oil into an old wick lantern and found it in the garage about 5 years later. Didn't think it would work but I struck a match and it lit right up. So I'm sure your paraffin oil lamps are fine. If you don't already use it, I'd recommend Ultra Pure Paraffin oil. Its only a buck or two more and burns a lot cleaner than regular paraffin oil.

#106640 - 09/22/07 11:29 AM Re: Oil lamp questions [Re: LED]
RayW Offline
Addict

Loc: Orlando, FL
Just make sure that the wick is in the oil, don't turn your lamp upside down. Let dry wicks soak for 20-30 minutes before lighting. The problem i have seen with leaving oil in a lamp long term the fuel can evaporate in the wick and get gummy which will make the wick stick in the bore of the burner assembly. Make sure that the wicks move freely before lighting, for safety take them outside for the first lighting.

#106659 - 09/22/07 04:19 PM Re: Oil lamp questions [Re: RayW]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
We have a couple of glass oil lamps that were in daily use in my grandfather's home, and have had oil in them (with refills) since at least the 1950's or before. Not ever a problem. The key is to be to turn the wick down when not in use so only a little bit shows above the burner assembly that holds the wick. This prevents/reduces any evaporation (not much, if any, in my experience) but also stops the build up of dust/dirt etc. caused by airborne dirt landing on the exposed wick and sticking to the oil and wick. When you want to light it, just turn the wick up and light. This automatically makes sure there is no sticking. Stored this way, I have never noticed a problem. These lamps get used 1-2 times a year when our electricity goes out for a day or two at a time.

#106666 - 09/22/07 06:00 PM Re: Oil lamp questions [Re: xavier01]
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
My grandmother had kerosene lamps all over her country house because of power failures and habbit from the days before electrification. The question "Will they start" made me smile.

My suggestion is to use the a few times a year just to get used to them before you actually need them. Be careful not to lower the wick so much that it falls into the oil reservoir - grandmom did that once while the wick was lit and there was no way to recover in her cut-glass lamps.

They've been sitting for 7 years, so use them.

#106675 - 09/22/07 10:20 PM Re: Oil lamp questions [Re: xavier01]
frostbite Offline

Loc: TN
While living without electricity in AK for several years we tried various lanterns and lamps and finally settled on oil lamps for lighting.

Ditto on what the others said, they should light without a problem.

Trim the wick! Some lamps have a round wick and only need trimming if the end has burned a little, which can happen if the lamp ran out of oil and wasn't snuffed out soon enough. If it's a flat wick it should be trimmed in a slight curve: higher in the middle and a little shorter on the sides. This will give an even burning flame that puts out the most light, in my experience. If the globe (glass chimney) is getting blackened then the wick needs to be turned down. Oil lamps actually put out good light if taken care of so trim the wick first, light the lamp, and gradually turn it up until it is giving out the most light without smoking or blackening.

In winter or cooler weather, turn the wick down, light, let it burn a little to warm the globe, then slowly raise the wick. Going from cold to hot can shatter globes which I learned the hard way. If you can find spare globes, get a set. (Pass on the frosted ones, reduces light) Pick up spare wicks at the same time.

Setting the lamps higher up gives better light and placing mirrors behind or under helps reflect light. Make sure the wick is well down in the oil. I have successfully sewn two short wicks together(overlapped) and the lamps still burned well.

Sorry for the length, I hope it's useful.

#106714 - 09/23/07 10:46 AM Re: Oil lamp questions [Re: frostbite]
xavier01 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Phx, AZ
Thank you so very much for your help!

#106919 - 09/25/07 04:53 AM Re: Oil lamp questions [Re: xavier01]
frostbite Offline

Loc: TN
no problem.

#107044 - 09/26/07 04:18 AM Re: Oil lamp questions [Re: bws48]
bigmbogo Offline
Journeyman

OK- you guys have gotten me interested now. What's a good brand and supplier for a no-frills, but high quality oil lamp? It seems the only ones I see are either the cheapest junk or some fancy-schmancy thing. You guys have any favorites?

Dave

#107045 - 09/26/07 05:01 AM Re: Oil lamp questions [Re: bigmbogo]
LED Offline
Veteran

I've used the Dietz style hurricane or "blizzard" lanterns for years and really like them. The light output is about the same as my 3 candle Candelier lantern. The cheaper "no name brand" lanterns I've used over the years have held up pretty well. Unfortunately most of them do leak a tiny bit of oil through the bottom seam of the storage tank. Maybe thats the reason I've only used paraffin wax in mine and not kerosene. I did lose my old one so maybe its time to get an authentic Dietz this time. Anyone have any one? Here's a photo.

http://www.survivalunlimited.com/dietzlanterns.htm

Just found another store that carries more models

http://www.lanternnet.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=WKL&Category_Code=DL

Edited by LED (09/26/07 05:43 AM)
Edit Reason: added a link

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 227 Guests and 133 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.