Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#106450 - 09/20/07 05:39 PM Putting pepper on a cut?
iain Offline
Stranger

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I've run across a number of people who swear that putting ground black (or cayenne) pepper on a cut is the best treatment for small wounds.

First they clean the wound thoroughly, dry it, and apply the pepper which supposedly prevent further bleeding, seals the wound, and promotes faster healing. I've seen it done and it appears to work, but I'm not convinced that there is any more to it than just applying an absorbent powder, and that many other things would have the same effect. It's also only done on small cuts, so the "miracle healing effects" may be imagined (it would look fine the next day and there would be no scar from it regardless).

I'm also not convinced that it's a particularly good idea. While as a food product it's pretty safe for us, I don't really think that it has any benefits in preventing infection or assisting in the healing process.

Does anyone here have any experience or knowledge of this which would validate or invalidate putting pepper on a cut as a sound method of treatment?

When you step out that door in the morning you never really know what you're going to encounter.

#106467 - 09/20/07 08:23 PM Re: Putting pepper on a cut? [Re: iain]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

I've noticed for burns, mustard works really good. Cheap and effective, not good for cuts though.

#106469 - 09/20/07 08:44 PM Re: Putting pepper on a cut? [Re: falcon5000]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
I had a patient that came to the ER for a laceration, that had put pepper in the cut. Did it stop bleeding? yeah, but it would have anyway. What happened? we had to pull all that crap out so we could suture it shut. WITHOUT pain killers (no, I don't know why, but it wasn't fun for them).

If it's small enough to stop bleeding with pepper, you aren't going to bleed out anyway. You don't see trauma centers, ambulances, or medics in Iraq running around with pepper mills, do you?

#106472 - 09/20/07 09:26 PM Re: Putting pepper on a cut? [Re: ]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Stopping bleeding is true of any powdery/grated product from flour to ground pepper. Dirt does the same thing.

I put Cornstarch on bad cuts.

Try salt some time… it’ll give ya a few words you can’t post here.

#106488 - 09/20/07 11:06 PM Re: Putting pepper on a cut? [Re: MDinana]
KevinB Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: MDinana
You don't see trauma centers, ambulances, or medics in Iraq running around with pepper mills, do you?

I think that pretty much says it all.

Kevin B.

#106532 - 09/21/07 01:01 PM Re: Putting pepper on a cut? [Re: ]
el_diabl0 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NE Ohio
I've used pepper to stop a leaking radiator. Worked like a charm. Pepper floats and it all ran to the leak, stopping it cold. I've never heard of it being used for wounds.

#106649 - 09/22/07 02:28 PM Re: Putting pepper on a cut? [Re: MDinana]
iain Offline
Stranger

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Thanks everyone! I figured that it didn't seem like a particularly good idea, but hey -- you never know.

I also learned a feindishly clever way to fix a leaky radiator. laugh

When you step out that door in the morning you never really know what you're going to encounter.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 444 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.