The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#101000 - 07/28/07 02:13 AM great psychological breakdown of "survival"
nouseforaname Offline
Journeyman

found this at another forum. pretty excited with it:

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/adventure/survival/skills/index.html

"...When I was a child, my grandmother owned an ashtray that I loved. It was a ceramic rattlesnake, and its coiled body formed the tray for the ashes. It was dark and dusty and very realistic. Decades later, while hiking in the Santa Monica Mountains, I came across the ruin of a stone house. Everything was shattered and broken. Only the chimney remained standing. I thought, I'll see if I can find a souvenir to take home, a bit of a broken dish with a design on it or some old tool. As I poked through the wreckage, at once I saw it: my grandmother's ashtray, complete and unbroken. Delighted, I reached out to take it. And then its tongue came out. I froze. Its tongue came out again. The serpent was smelling me. I carefully backed away.

Mental models have been the subject of intense research by psychologists for at least two decades. A classic one can be seen on the parking sign for the handicapped. It displays an image that we instantly recognize as a wheelchair, even though it looks very little like one. That's because we code information in an abbreviated form for quick reference. We can also create much more elaborate models. Most people, for example, have a complex model for driving that allows them to do so while talking on the phone and drinking coffee. Once models are established, they require no thought. They're efficient, which is probably why they were selected by evolution..." (link for the rest)

#101003 - 07/28/07 02:23 AM Re: great psychological breakdown of "survival" [Re: nouseforaname]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
Yes, Blast shared this article with us back in this thread. It is a great article!

#101038 - 07/28/07 02:34 PM Re: great psychological breakdown of "survival" [Re: JCWohlschlag]
nouseforaname Offline
Journeyman

hahaha, im that guy. dolt.

Edited by rumbaugh (07/28/07 02:35 PM)

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 295 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.