Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#100357 - 07/21/07 12:38 AM How about this for a BOB?
ducttape Offline

How about the REI Traverse Backpack for BOB use?

It doesn't seem to have too many pockets where it's easy to forget where everything is. I like the use of putting pockets on the hip strap for small stuff like a multitool.

Check out the women's pack for a 360 degree view and the men's for closeups on the compartments.

Thanks in Advance.

#100371 - 07/21/07 03:49 AM Re: How about this for a BOB? [Re: ducttape]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
At about 1800 c.i. you might find it a bit small, depending or what you choose to carry. Also, if your carry weight is over about 15-20 lbs, you might prefer a pack with a frame capable of shifting the load from your shoulders to your hips. But REI does make reliable gear, so if the "one size" fits your body, and the weight and volume of your gear fit within the pock's limits, you are good to go. I like the fact that the colors of the pack are subdued, without looking "tactical." A wise choice, in my opinion.

Jeff
Quote:

#100373 - 07/21/07 04:19 AM Re: How about this for a BOB? [Re: Jeff_M]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
I've got a similar backpack, made by EMS. It's a "good" bag, but I didn't like it. The foam back made me sweat like crazy, despite the air channels. I think it's an OK day-pack, for light loads. But if for a true BO, think bigger. This bag would hold the 10 essentials, a water bladder, and probably squeeze in a fleece jacket. Anything else would start stretching its capacity.

#100375 - 07/21/07 04:45 AM Re: How about this for a BOB? [Re: ducttape]
KevinB Offline
Journeyman

I have the big brother of this pack - the Lookout. Mine is the 2005 version. They've changed it for 2007. Good packs, good design, good build quality.

It really depends on how much gear you're hauling. My Lookout will hold 2700 cubic inches. That makes it a very large daypack or a small weekender. Anything bigger needs a rigid frame. I've used it for weekend snow camping trips in Yosemite when I was trying to travel extremely light, and it was a tad too small. I had to strap the sleeping bag on the bottom, and that's awkward.

The shoulder straps are comfortable and somewhat adjustable. The hip belt is very good, and does shift the load to your hips. The pockets on the belt are downright handy. I carry sunscreen and lip balm in mine. The water bladder pocket and tube routing is great. The side mesh pockets will carry water bottles, camera, binocs, etc, but are just a bit awkward to reach with the pack on. I use the top pocket for stuff I might need in a hurry - headlamp, FAK, etc. The older version had full-length zip pockets on each side that would hold a bunch of gear. One of mine is for a very small rain/wind suit, the other is for the emergency part of my 10 essentials, with room left over.

Overall I give REI packs a 4 out of 5. A lot of thought went into the design. They're quite well made. The only thing you'd have to consider is how big a bag you need. Personally I thing 1800 cubic inches is a good size for a temperate weather BOB.

Kevin B.

Edited by KevinB (07/21/07 05:03 AM)

#100399 - 07/21/07 10:01 PM Re: How about this for a BOB? [Re: ducttape]
Hike4Fun Offline
Journeyman

That bag is Too Small.

BOB (Bug Out Bag) is an evacuation bag. Can you get enough gear
and consumables into that bag to keep you alive in an evacuation?

That bag is for day hiking. For me, it would be adequate for
day hiking in very familiar, and not very demanding, territory.

What you need for an easy day hike and what you need for a
Bug Out are very different.

#100402 - 07/21/07 10:29 PM Re: How about this for a BOB? [Re: Hike4Fun]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

I'd go bigger. Packing in a hurry is never efficent, and you should consider packing both the essentials ( clothes, perscriptions, etc.) and some comfort items...

#100403 - 07/21/07 10:32 PM Re: How about this for a BOB? [Re: Hike4Fun]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Au Contraire, the REI Traverse may be ideal if you need to move fast. Some guys load up a big backpack and call it a BOB and then they throw it in their car and drive. I have a couple large duffel bags in my car, my Bug-Out-Bag is a Camelback Mule and is designed to sustain me while I'm moving fast. A BOB is not a 72 hour kit, it's a bag designed to have enough supplies to get you to wherever you are bugging out to. Don't have a destination?? Then stay home and Bug In, no bag required.

#100404 - 07/22/07 12:20 AM Re: How about this for a BOB? [Re: ducttape]
Hike4Fun Offline
Journeyman

Ducttape,

It is about having alternatives. What kind of equipment gives
you the most good alternatives?

During an emergency situation, you may have to leave your car.
(If you did not leave your car, you would not need pack at all;
a bag, or bags, carried in the hands, and stored in the car,
would be fine.)

At that point of leaving your car, you want the alternative of
carrying more than a small day pack will hold.
If you have a
4000 cubic inch internal frame pack, you have an alternative:
load it heavy or light. The pack itself does not weigh much,
but you could have a day pack, in your car, as an alternative, also.
I would take the 4k ci pack even if it was half empty; I might
need the capacity later. You might choose differently, Ok.

"Travel light" and "move fast" sounds like an adventure;
and indeed you see it a lot in fiction books and movies.
If the protagonist had proper gear, there would be no story,
i.e. no adventure.

"Travel light" can actually create the adventure; if you do
not believe me, go into the woods with what is in your pockets,
and stay 5 days. You will have an adventure.

Go into the woods for 5 days with an equipped backpack,
and you will probably just have a good time. If you do have
an adventure, it will not be for lack of gear and supplies.

Edited by Hike4Fun (07/22/07 12:55 AM)

#100411 - 07/22/07 02:30 AM Re: How about this for a BOB? [Re: Hike4Fun]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
It comes back to the purpose of a Bug-Out-Bag. If you have a place to Bug-Out to, then the bag only needs to carry enough to get you there. If OTOH its purpose is to sustain you while you are wondering around going nowhere, then it doesn't matter much how slow you move, carry a whole lot of stuff. But if you have nowhere to go, why Bug-Out?

#100447 - 07/22/07 02:33 PM Re: How about this for a BOB? [Re: Hike4Fun]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Size is irrelevant. What you do with it is.

I'd be inclined to agree with Hike that this pack is on the small side, but I also carry over a gallon of water in my BOB and need space for cold weather gear during the right season. People who don't/can't carry as much weight and don't need the space could very well find this a doable pack. My bug-plan is also about a 80 mile trip in Vermont- my BOB wouldn't have as much water or carry a cold weather sleeping bag if it was a 20 mile trip in, say, Georgia.

My main concern is the construction. But I'll be the first one to admit that my opinion of ultralight packs is very much colored by some spectacular failures that I've seen. If you don't have to push through close vegetation, it's fine.

Edited by ironraven (07/22/07 02:39 PM)
Edit Reason: can't spell

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle, NAro), 354 Guests and 88 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.