The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#100159 - 07/19/07 01:36 AM Ultralight Backpack for your B.O.B
Equipped4Chicago Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Chicago
I want a backpack to serve 3 purposes. As a hiking backpack, as a camping backpack, and to serve as a B.O.B.

Now, the top 2 for hiking from research are:

Gossamer Gear Mariposa $130
Granite4 Gear Vapor Trail $150

Any thoughts on using these for B.O.B?

#100173 - 07/19/07 04:20 AM Re: Ultralight Backpack for your B.O.B [Re: Equipped4Chicago]
LED Offline
Veteran

Those look like nice ultralight packs. The only issue I would have is the lack of pockets and maybe the durability of the material. I'd say you can use either one for all 3 purposes. They look a little big for hiking daypack but of course they're very light and you could cinch them down so they don't jostle about. I'm using an Osprey Statos 32 for a daypack and BOB. I've got my stuff a bit modularized so that when I go on dayhikes I can easily remove the BOB stuff I don't need to bring along. Its a little more work using your daypack as your BOB but for me its easier and cheaper than having 2 full seperate kits.

#100176 - 07/19/07 05:04 AM Re: Ultralight Backpack for your B.O.B [Re: LED]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
I like me Maxpedition pack... I use it for everything you mention it's def. not an ultra light but it's DEF. rugged and can take a serious beat`n!!!!

#100180 - 07/19/07 05:26 AM Re: Ultralight Backpack for your B.O.B [Re: Equipped4Chicago]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I have zero experience with the packs you mention, but wanting one pack to fill three purposes equals a compromise, and I have had just about no luck with those over the years. I fear that you will end up with a pack that will do three things so-so, and one thing not well at all...

#100181 - 07/19/07 05:39 AM Re: Ultralight Backpack for your B.O.B [Re: Equipped4Chicago]
ohiohiker Offline
found in the wilderness
Journeyman

Loc: Ohio
A good backpacking pack will also be a good camping and BOB pack, so ignore these last two. Rent, borrow, or buy both, with agreement to return one for a weekend. Leave all tags on, and take each on a hike with all of your backpacking gear. If you can't stand either, return 'em both and start over! grin

#100182 - 07/19/07 05:58 AM Re: Ultralight Backpack for your B.O.B [Re: ohiohiker]
cfraser Offline

Loc: Toronto area, Ontario, Canada
I have found that much of the ultralight gear is strictly for people who make ultralight the raison d'etre of their activities. You have to be careful with it. It just doesn't stand up for rugged or even moderate regular use. I would not want to use it for emergency gear, where reliability is worth saving a few ounces (in a pack). What I mean is, separate ultralight from survival in anything that will take a bit of a beating.

#100188 - 07/19/07 01:08 PM Re: Ultralight Backpack for your B.O.B [Re: cfraser]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: cfraser
...What I mean is, separate ultralight from survival in anything that will take a bit of a beating.

I think this is good advice. I have a fair amount of experience with the ultralight stuff. It is certainly well engineered but it is simply not that durable compared to 1000D Cordura construction. Now, I definitely feel that a pack that weighs 8 lbs empty is going too far the other way; don't get me wrong. But the wispy packs made of SilNylon are just not a good choice for truly bad conditions, IMO.

Everything is a compromise, and as usual in life the extreme ends of the spectrum often cause problems.

#100199 - 07/19/07 02:43 PM Re: Ultralight Backpack for your B.O.B [Re: Equipped4Chicago]
Micah513 Offline

Loc: Springfield, MO
Originally Posted By: Equipped4Chicago
I want a backpack to serve 3 purposes. As a hiking backpack, as a camping backpack, and to serve as a B.O.B.

For me this would be impossible, but that is based on my definition of a BOB. For me a BOB is something that is supposed to be ready to go at a moments notice & that would provide water & high calorie food for me & my family on the run.

If I was to take it camping with me and eat some of the the peanut butter (now that it is open it will go stale faster), eat some of the food bars, drink the water, use some bandaids, cut up some of the rope, etc. - then I have just reduced the supplies in my BOB.

Now if your definition of a BOB only includes tools (FAK, gun/ammo, knife, rope, snare wire, etc.) then I guess you could make it serve as all three.

If your BOB does include food/water then you will always (and immediately) need to replace whatever is used. But it will take discipline that I must say I don't have. That is why I keep my BOB set aside at home. My BOB weighs 45 lbs so there is no way I would want to carry it everywhere with me, but that is just me.

The pack I carry back & forth to work everday (and take hiking/camping) is a reduced down form of a BOB, but I would want both if truly buggin' out.

#100203 - 07/19/07 03:50 PM Re: Ultralight Backpack for your B.O.B [Re: Micah513]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Micah513

For me this would be impossible, but that is based on my definition of a BOB. For me a BOB is something that is supposed to be ready to go at a moments notice & that would provide water & high calorie food for me & my family on the run.

I take my BOB camping or on overnight trips, what if something happens when your overnight somewhere and you can't get home for three days, then your bob becomes needed. What I do when I'm home is have my bob handy in the closet and on a shelf above it are enough food and other perishable supplies to re stock it should I use something so that when I return I can drop those in and have it ready to go. Also those supplies are part of my bug in stuff so in addition to the three days supplies in the bob are an additional three or more days right there in the closet.
Then if I do go somewhere for more than one night I'll take some of those supplies along as well since I anticipate on using a few.

#100207 - 07/19/07 05:34 PM Re: Ultralight Backpack for your B.O.B [Re: Eugene]
cfraser Offline

Loc: Toronto area, Ontario, Canada
I do much the same as Eugene. Maybe it's not a proper BOB, but I have everything I might need in the same cupboard at home. I can pick and choose very quickly, and can see everything at once so nothing will be forgotten. This is in addition to the smaller pre-packed backpacks etc. that I absolutely know I will need and are ready to go (always in the car etc.). I can sort and repack stuff along the way or when I get "there", depending on how it needs to be carried. So my BOB pack is a bit big and strong so that I can just toss stuff in rather than pack it carefully. Yes, it might take me an extra 5 minutes at most, largely choosing and unsecuring a firearm...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 369 Guests and 35 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.