Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#97866 - 06/19/07 08:11 PM Article: What Happens in a Gun Fight
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
What Happens in a Gun Fight

Very interesting article, especially for the LEO's here at ETS.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#97909 - 06/20/07 03:34 AM Re: Article: What Happens in a Gun Fight [Re: Blast]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Yes, that was very interesting!

One of his observations was very similar to the way I think about trying to mentally prepare for threatening situations:

"Many advised that they had taken the time to think about what they would do in the event they were attacked and had even played out scenarios in their head. It is clear that this role-playing or visualization prepared them to take action with little lag time. For years this has been called if/then thinking."

And his summary on the last page of how the people felt when it was over and they were the victor... I guess maybe you just don't know which you will be, no matter how you anticipate it. You can think about it, but until it really happens, I suspect that you can only guess.

But he didn't say anything about the bullets evaporating after they miss their target in a crowded area at high noon, like they seem to in the movies and on TV.

Sue

#97935 - 06/20/07 01:52 PM Re: Article: What Happens in a Gun Fight [Re: Susan]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Susan
...But he didn't say anything about the bullets evaporating after they miss their target in a crowded area at high noon, like they seem to in the movies and on TV.

Good point, Susan. But then again, we can't all be able to shoot like the A-Team!

#97942 - 06/20/07 03:01 PM Re: Article: What Happens in a Gun Fight [Re: Blast]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Interesting.

I was lucky (?) enough to be present at a combat shooting once. Talking with the other officer later, our perceptions of the incident were identical, with one exception. I knew that he fired three rounds (correct), he only remembered firing two.

Over the years I talked to numerous officers who had been involved in a shooting. Some remembered using their sights, some did not. Some hit the bad guy, some did not. Some remembered reloading, some did not. Those who fired the first shot had a much better recollection of events than those who were fired upon first. As I was involved in training many of the officers, I had a pretty good idea of their mindset and abilities. Those who were "gun people" handled their shootings better than those who had never fired any firearms before being hired, and had only fired their issue weapon. What does all this prove? I guess that people and incidents are all different...

#97947 - 06/20/07 03:47 PM Re: Article: What Happens in a Gun Fight [Re: NightHiker]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Presence of mind in a firefight is not a common trait. Usually it is melee attitude for most folks, meaning that you swing until whatever you are swinging at is either on the ground or running away faster than you, or else you get too tired to keep swinging. I don't see as it differs much in a gunfight. Most will keep shooting as long as they perceive a threat, until the threat is diminished or they run out of ammo.

I was truly impressed during a gunfight in Iraq wherein our security group got ambushed and was returning heavy fire. The group leader pulled his drum magazine and replaced it with a new one with less than five bullets left in the old mag and a round still in the chamber. After 95 rounds at full auto bursts, I doubt I would have the presence of mind to not end on an empty chamber with an empty mag. I think the 5 security guards expended something like 2,000 rounds in a little over 2 minutes, pretty much neutralizing the threat and affording an effective escape with no casualties.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (NAro, Ren), 444 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.