Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#96039 - 05/30/07 12:23 PM Protecting a Swedish FireSteel from pocket damage.
digimark Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Chesapeake Beach, MD
Been lurking awhile, thought I'd start posting a question or two...

I just picked up a LightMyFire Swedish FireSteel Scout (the 3000 strike one) and I want to put it on my keychain so that it's always "there". Does anyone know what I can/should do to it to protect it from rubbing against other stuff while on the keychain and/or in my pocket? Thanks in advance. -Gary

#96043 - 05/30/07 01:00 PM Re: Protecting a Swedish FireSteel from pocket damage. [Re: digimark]
norad45 Offline
Veteran

When I carry one I use heat shrink, also called shrink tubing. It should be available at any electrical supply outfit. It works especially well if you are not using the firesteel all the time.

#96047 - 05/30/07 01:43 PM Re: Protecting a Swedish FireSteel from pocket damage. [Re: norad45]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
I EDC a Boy Scout Hotspark, which is smaller than most firesteels and more "pocketable" and much less expensive (available at all Boy Scout Stores - which are usually at each Council office). I've carried it for at least two years now, with no special protection, and it looks just like it did the day I bought it.

#96048 - 05/30/07 01:46 PM Re: Protecting a Swedish FireSteel from pocket damage. [Re: digimark]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Combine Ken and norad and you get me...BSA version, with heat shrink tubing on it. The tubing lasts me about a year or so before it wears/falls off, then I do it again...

#96067 - 05/30/07 04:07 PM Re: Protecting a Swedish FireSteel from pocket damage. [Re: digimark]
billym Offline
Addict

Loc: Oakland, California
I have had a BSA Hot Spark on my keys for over a year with no protection and no damage.
I think the sheath may not be necessary at all IMO.
It is just one more step (removing it) before you get to fire.

#96073 - 05/30/07 04:30 PM Re: Protecting a Swedish FireSteel from pocket damage. [Re: billym]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
A few weeks (months?) ago I made the tough decision to remove the Hot Spark's metal striker blade from my key chain, figuring it reduced the pocket load and that I'd find something to strike with if needed - I hope.

Ken

#96079 - 05/30/07 05:21 PM Re: Protecting a Swedish FireSteel from pocket damage. [Re: KenK]
billym Offline
Addict

Loc: Oakland, California
I tossed the striker too. I can always use the back of most of the knives I carry.
I am very picky about keeping my keychain load to a minimum.
I tried carrying a Fox40 Micro but took it off because it was too bulky in my pocket. On my keys I keep a Photon Freedom, and a Hot Spark that is it.

#96088 - 05/30/07 05:58 PM Re: Protecting a Swedish FireSteel from pocket damage. [Re: NightHiker]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
count me in w/the rest - unprotected hot spark - have yet to start a fire in my pocket. good or bad, i don't know.

great idea to lose the striker! for me, the edge of the file on my mini sak works fine.

#96094 - 05/30/07 07:26 PM Re: Protecting a Swedish FireSteel from pocket damage. [Re: digimark]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
I have both full sized and scout fire steels. The scout version is permanently attached to my key's. On the grounds that the only two things that I am likely to stay attached to in an emergency are my knife and my keys.

Fire steels are quite durable. The big issue with them is not damage from being knocked around, but oxidisation from exposure to dampness. Which can render them useless. The only effective way to protect them is to coat the stick with high impact polyacrylate. H.I.P. is more commonly known as nail varnish (yes, the stuff that the Ladies use on their nails). All my fire steels are coated with it. It does chip and wear after a while but it is a trivial exercise to recoat the stick as needed.

How you explain wanting to borrow your Wife's/Sister's/Mother's nail varnish is an exercise that I will leave to the student......:)

#96098 - 05/30/07 07:43 PM Re: Protecting a Swedish FireSteel from pocket damage. [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
I've actually broken hotsparks carrying them on my keys (laying down on the pocket with my keys in it was the biggest culprit). However, I got some heat shrink tubing and so far the one on my keys has lasted a few years without breaking.

With that said, I was still able to start a fire with the broken ones, it was just a bit harder.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.