Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#96431 - 06/02/07 09:58 PM Good learning dvd's? esp. Info on survival kits
teacher Offline
Old Hand

Can anyone ofer suggestions for good to learn from DVD's? Especially the basics; finding water, building a survival kit, outdoor ( camping) skills.

Tro

#96435 - 06/02/07 10:52 PM Re: Good learning dvd's? esp. Info on survival kit [Re: teacher]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Check out Hoods Woods Woodmaster Videos (DVD). Excellent DVDs, easy to follow, good info.

#96436 - 06/02/07 11:04 PM Re: Good learning dvd's? esp. Info on survival kit [Re: Russ]
Cyblade Offline
Journeyman

I'll put in another vote for Hoods Woods, I just donated the Basics dvd to my local library cause they didnt have anything decent on outdoor survival. His dvds are well shot and easy to follow and the best part is if you have a question you can go on the forums there and ask and most times get an answer by the man himself.

#96437 - 06/02/07 11:35 PM Re: Good learning dvd's? esp. Info on survival kit [Re: Cyblade]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

Another one is John & Geri McPherson books and dvd's. I never seen the Hoods, but I may order them as well if there good. I had bought the McPherson fire making and it's good but he definitely is a very slow talker but he can go into any environment with out anything, no cloths, no knives, no nothing and survive very comfortably for indefinite amounts or time. He has evolved through time to being off the grid for many years, he makes his own cordage, baskets, house out of logs, everything. Ironically once he developed this knowledge and lived it, he teaches the military special forces how to survive and gets checks sent to him for the services and kick backs from his dvd and books.
It's still not a bad gig for him I guess.
Another excellent source of knowledge is wildwoodsurvival.com forums and one guy knows a lot is paul vallandigham. Do a search for some of his comments and he has a lot of valuable knowledge.

http://www.prairiewolf.net/Pages/PW.html
http://www.prairiewolf.net/Pages/dvds.html
http://www.wildwoodsurvival.com/forum/index.php?sid=2aa81f3efecdbafb4caf434063f6abe8

#96475 - 06/03/07 05:17 PM Re: Good learning dvd's? esp. Info on survival kit [Re: falcon5000]
Westwindmike Offline

Loc: Middle Tennessee
A DVD set that my family enjoyed is Prepared To Survive that is put out by LifeView Outdoors. It presents the information in a easy to understand format. There are even hints and tips from our very own Doug Ritter.
http://www.lifeviewoutdoors.com/

#96563 - 06/04/07 07:30 PM Re: Good learning dvd's? esp. Info on survival kits [Re: teacher]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
I just downloaded the 6 free video on www.bushcraft.se The guy if fun to watch and I particularly liked the third where he uses a carbon steel Tradesmen Mora to ignite charred cloth with a piece of quartz he found in the vicinity. It was instructive to watch.

I bought the Wilderness Skills Series with Mors Kochanski at www.karamat.com Very instructive, covers some basics and gives good practical tips. Unique information, like building a packframe, Roycroft ski-shoes and bucksaw out of sticks, and how to unstuck a frozen heavy object like a log or a snowmobile with a Finnish windlass and a Spanish windlass. It helped me getting a better understanding of survival in the Boreal forest. But it doesn't cover water collection, fire making and shelter.

Frankie

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 418 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.