Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#93388 - 05/02/07 10:59 PM Please reccomend a Tomahawk
camerono Offline

Hello,

So I searched the forums and came up with mention of a couple types and manufactures of tomahawks. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a or point me in the right direction. Preferably from personal experience.

I am looking for a tomahawk for hiking / camping. It would be handy if in addition to the ax edge that it had a digging tool on the opposite end of the blade. I would prefer something with a wood handle so if the handle is damaged I could improvise another while on the trail.

Thanks you in advance

Cameron

Edited by cameron2trade (05/02/07 10:59 PM)

#93393 - 05/02/07 11:18 PM Re: Please reccomend a Tomahawk [Re: camerono]
Be_Prepared Offline
Addict

Loc: Massachusetts
I think the best Tomahawks are currently the TLAM's, made by Raytheon. Originally they were made by General Dynamics. They are very effective in an outdoor environment, in fact, they can turn an indoor environment into an outdoor one! Unfortunately, none of them come with wooden handles wink

Ok, seriously, are you talking about a packable small hatchet/axe, or a "tomahawk"? I know we have throwing tomahawks at camp in the summer, I think they were made a long time ago. For a small portable axe that you can pack, I have an old wooden handled Plumb Hatchet, that still takes a nice edge, and I've used since I was a boy. Lately, I find I carry a small Gerber Back Paxe. It's relatively light, and compact. It has a glass filled nylon handle, I'm not sure how I'd break it if I wanted to. It was about $30.

- Ron

#93395 - 05/02/07 11:32 PM Re: Please reccomend a Tomahawk [Re: Be_Prepared]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Loc: on the road 10-11 months out o...
Check some web sites for local black smiths and about mountain man rendezvous’. They can at least lead you to the right places. That is if you want a real “hawk” or one of those knock offs most companies want to pass off.

#93396 - 05/02/07 11:38 PM Re: Please reccomend a Tomahawk [Re: camerono]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I have never owned one of their 'hawks, but Cold Steel makes pretty good knives, so I suspect that their 'hawks might be OK as well...

#93397 - 05/02/07 11:42 PM Re: Please reccomend a Tomahawk [Re: camerono]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Cold Steel Trail Hawk Would be my first choice in a reasonably priced 'hawk for packing. If you prefer a bigger head, go to the Rifleman's Hawk. Personally I went with a GB mini hatchet which is smaller but has great ergo's.

#93415 - 05/03/07 02:15 AM Re: Please reccomend a Tomahawk [Re: Russ]
Be_Prepared Offline
Addict

Loc: Massachusetts
After checking with a friend who's a blade fanatic, I think you should take a look at: http://www.2hawks.net/index.html

They make custom knives and tomahawks. The person running the business now is an apprentice of the gentleman that had built the reputation of the "Two Hawks" brand. The owner passed away, but, the apprentice continues to make the traditional models along with some more "modern" (if tomahawks can be modern) models.

He makes a model called "The Woodsman" which is a lightweight model for backpacking.

- Ron

#93419 - 05/03/07 02:31 AM Re: Please reccomend a Tomahawk [Re: Be_Prepared]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
I agree with the CS Trail Hawk. I think I read Chris Kavanaugh praising Ragnar's work, but I have no personal experience with it. Here's the website though.

http://www.ragweedforge.com/Welcome.html

#93440 - 05/03/07 03:52 AM Re: Please reccomend a Tomahawk [Re: aloha]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

'Tomahawks' have a period history as a combination weapon and tool. Many outdoorsmen pair a hatchet and knife combination vs the really big knife school. It is an old choice, as Oetsi proved. It is also a choice for the experienced. A short handled axe/hatchet is inherently dangerous. Buy Mors Kochanski's bushcraft, take his lessons to heart and you won't take axe to leg. Both Granfors and Wetterling have introduced very light hatchets recently.

#93471 - 05/03/07 02:48 PM Re: Please reccomend a Tomahawk [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Over at Bladeforums the general consensus is that Cold Steel Tommys are not the greatest.

Ragnar's has a fairly good rep.

American Tomahawk makes some great tactical stuff. Here's there link:

http://www.americantomahawk.com/index.htm

H and B have a great rep for conventional tommys and pipe axes. Here's there link:

http://www.hbforge.com/products/tomahawks.php

As far as a digger/axe head, I haven't ever seen a hatchet or tomahawk so configured. I've seen some axe/mattock heads at Home Depot, something akin to a firefighter's pulaski, but they look a little big for personal carry.

This is a pulaski: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulaski_(tool)

#93475 - 05/03/07 03:38 PM Re: Please reccomend a Tomahawk [Re: camerono]
TomApple Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Suffolk, Va.
Actually I would recommend against anything in the classic tomahawk design.

What you really need is a good hatchet or a machete.

Tomahawks were designed as a trade item for the Indians and used mostly as a weapon or for butchering game. Their lightness makes them little good for much anything else. A machete is a more versatile tool.

If you use them as a hammer, the softness of most hand forged tomahawks will cause the eye to distort and the handle to fall out. They are too light to be very useful in cutting wood, and for digging, a sharp stick would almost suit you better.

A machete will cut wood better and faster than a tomahawk, and its wide blade would made a better digging tool as well. Also the wide eye on most tomahawks make them wretched tools for splitting wood.

A small hatchet or a machete would be a better choice.

Regards,

Tom A.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 226 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.