Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#88843 - 03/20/07 01:43 AM Carrying survival gear for more than one person.
amper Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: US
I've always thought that in a survival or even just a run-of-the-mill camping situation, it's probably a good idea to make friends and that sharing is a good thing, so I've tried to plan my gear kits around the idea that I may run into another person that may need help or can provide help, or just good company. The general idea is that I always try to carry enough gear for two adults where it's not too cumbersome.

For instance, I like to carry enough cooking and eating gear so that I can share with a trailmate. Two knives, two forks, two spoons, two sporks, two cups, two bowls, two plates. Some of it is titanium for the weight savings (I *love* the Snow Peak titanium utensils and cups), and some is stainless (MSR plates and bowls).

In my urban kits, I always pack an extra set of safety glasses, dust masks, and nitrile gloves, among other things.

I also take two tarps along. Two tarps can make a pretty secure shelter, or two simple shelters (or whatever you might find a need for that a tarp can accomplish).

I'm curious if others out there follow a similar philosophy. Obviously, I don't do this where it's going to create a serious weight problem. I'm not an ultralight kind of guy, except in the sense that I don't go crazy trying to bring my whole house on my back. It's just that a little friendship and hospitality at the right time can go a long way. It also means I always have spares.

#88844 - 03/20/07 02:27 AM Re: Carrying survival gear for more than one person. [Re: amper]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
I tend to do the same thing. My sister and brother don't carry much (my sister is one of the unbelieving). But my best friend carries extra stuff like I do.

It's one thing to think other people should be prepared, but you've got to be pretty hardboiled to sit under your tarp, cooking your soup, chewing your jerky with your woolly hat and mittens while your friend sits shivering in the cold rain.

And if anyone asks where to draw the line... only you can answer that.

Sue

#88849 - 03/20/07 03:29 AM Re: Carrying survival gear for more than one person. [Re: amper]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Yeah, for over two years I carried spare gear to cover my hiking buddy. He always planned get stuff but "just never got around to it". But I like him enough to keep him alive. grin

Anyway, after "hints" to his wife about some of the dangers we've encountered out in the wilds she got a gear list from me and gave him all of it for Christmas. That made everybody happy.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#88856 - 03/20/07 03:43 AM Re: Carrying survival gear for more than one person. [Re: Blast]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Nice! Could you share that list? I'm impressed that it was so gladly approved by your friend's wife. wink

#88858 - 03/20/07 03:54 AM Re: Carrying survival gear for more than one person. [Re: Alex]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Off the top of my head:

50' paracord...$2
1st aid kit...$8
LED flashlight...$7
Silva starter compass...$9
pealess whistle (that took some explaining)...$3
Spark-lite...$10
Steel signal mirror...$3
Leatherman Wave...$60?
Eureka bivysack...$70
Micropur MP 1 water purification pellets...$10
pocket survival book...$10

I know, I should have told her about the Ritter PSK! blush I didn't think she'd get any of the stuff let alone all the stuff!

-Blast

Edited by Blast (03/20/07 03:58 AM)
Edit Reason: added prices
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#88861 - 03/20/07 04:37 AM Re: Carrying survival gear for more than one perso [Re: Blast]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
The one thing I always carry extra of is water. It seems like every other time out I share water with someone who has run out.

I hate it because it is probably the heaviest thing I have to carry. Depending on where I am going and doing, I usually carry 2-4 liters of water and sometimes up to 6 if it is long and strenous. Some hikes just don't afford you a chance to replenish because there is no source of water on the trail.

#88866 - 03/20/07 05:54 AM Re: Carrying survival gear for more than one perso [Re: aloha]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
When doing outdoors activites I carry an extra knife (Alox SAK) and extra fire-starting method (usually a mini-bic) for the purpose of letting someone else use them (or giving to them). In my experience those are the two most common things people ask to borrow. Other than that I don't like to loan stuff out. Carrying a bunch of everything is just too much weight.

#88867 - 03/20/07 07:01 AM Re: Carrying survival gear for more than one perso [Re: Paul810]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

I always pack my survival kit with some redundancy in mind but I don't deliberately carry all the gear for my companions. I also don't think it would be fair to me. The gear should be every individual's responsibility and if somebody neglects it, that's his own fault really.

The only exception would be heavier items like shelter tarps or cooking utensils. We usually distribute those so that everyone carries something according to their strength and physical abilities.

#88868 - 03/20/07 07:11 AM Re: Carrying survival gear for more than one perso [Re: Paul810]
Rio Offline

Loc: Pacific North West
In my Jeep I generally Keep 1 extra set of clothing (rain / cold weather gear included) as well as a few tarps, wool blanket, sleeping bag, several knives, lighters, flashlights etc. All of this is in addition to what I plan on needing for the trip. Officially I carry these as personal backups, but I find that I am normally prepared enough not to need them. Thus I normally end up loaning my redundant gear out to my friends.

My friends tend to be rather ill-equipped on our outings. Lately I've been packing a few additional items which are slightly more PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER. friendly. For example I now keep a spare folder in my Jeep to loan out in addition to my emergency Ka-Bar. I like to save the day and help out my friends, makes me feel like a hero smile

On my last outing, one of the tents was not pitched properly and the occupants got wet during the night. The next morning, when I found out, I asked if they were ok, and if there was anything I could do. She said her gear was soaked, but doubted I could do anything about it. I responded by pulling a full set of Gore-Tex rain gear out of the back of my Jeep. The expression on her face was priceless smile

#88877 - 03/20/07 01:38 PM Re: Carrying survival gear for more than one person. [Re: amper]
norad45 Offline
Veteran

Quote:
I've tried to plan my gear kits around the idea that I may run into another person that may need help or can provide help, or just good company.

Interesting philosophy, and one that runs counter to much of what you'll see discussed here. A lot of people, myself included, prefer solitude while hiking or hunting, and concentrate more on how to avoid strangers. So while I will make provisions for supplying an under-equipped buddy, I'm not going to go out of my way to approach a stranger unless they are obviously in distress. Of course, if someone asks me for help they'll likely get it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.