Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#86083 - 02/20/07 04:14 AM Home/BOB FAK
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Looking for feed back. This is the big "house" first aid kit for me, and it is hung by the door so I can grab it as I'm going out the door if needed. At home, it's backed up with a decent pharmacy which you don't see (tums, immodium, asprin, sudafed, alc and iodine wipes, etc) which is replicated in miniature in my ditch kit.

Now, first let me say that I have more than this at home. This is packed and hangs by the front door so it can be easily found by visitors, and if I have to bug out, well, its on the same row of hooks as my jacket, boonie hat and bag of tricks, and the ditch kit is right above them on a shelf. If BOB gets assembled or I'm hiking/hunting, this goes in one of the pockets along with a small pharmacy package.

The red strap is about 5' of 1" nylon webbing. Thats partially so I can tell it instantly from my bag of tricks by sight or touch, but IS 5' of 1"webbing. The front pocket has six set of nitrile gloves repacked into small zipper bags, and four Wet Ones pack for general cleaning of the would site and whiping away dirt, etc.

The open view. The long white object on the left is a bottle each of acetaminophen and ibuprofen taped end to end. I find stress head aches and fevers react better to the former, while muscle pulls and joint pain the later.

2x military trauma dressings
2x 4" roller gauze
2x saline dressings for burns
1x liquid bandaid (primarily PPE to close small cuts)
1x cravat

in no particular order
~20x 2x2 gauze
~20x 4x4 gauze
~20x 1x3" and .75x3" assorted fabric bandaids
assorted fingertip and knuckle bandaids
tiny purell (again, PPE)
EMT shears (marked to avoid confusion, they've been around a LONG time)
4x 2x asprin (I never use it, but chest pains run in the family)
roll of dressing tape
hank of old utility line (small, might be useful)
3pr ear plugs
blue sharpie
oral thermometer
Gerber "Military Provisional Tool" (I don't like how it feels, so I never carry it, figured this was a good home for it.)

Not shown are a small roll of duct tape (just added it) and an AMK Pocket Dentist which is on order. I'm looking for an N95 mask I like, but so far they all get too moist too quickly. (I could probably give mouth-to-gill to a trout.)

I'm looking for opinions. This thing is pretty well packed, so there isn't much room for additions, but space is limited. I've toyed with the idea of hanging a pair of ALICE dressing/compass pouches on the webbing strap (it fits through the channels for the ALICE clips nicely) for a little bit more space. What do people see as missing?

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#86084 - 02/20/07 04:52 AM Re: Home/BOB FAK
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Nice litte kit, in a really nice little bag. Two things come to mind:

Keep an eye on those gloves. The little thin ones tend to get brittle (or something like that) pretty fast, 'specially in heat, and will fall apart as you try to put them on. I prefer the much thicker ones, even if you can't carry as many pairs.

If you know CPR at all, maybe one of the little folding CPR masks. They are not nearly as good as a real Pocket Mask with one-way valve, but they are small, and better than nothing. You NEVER want to go bareback on anyone 'cept your immediate family, and then only if you are SURE of their medical history...

#86098 - 02/20/07 10:33 AM Re: Home/BOB FAK [Re: ironraven]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
Great kit. Some comments:

- I didn't see a pair of tweezers.

- Why the saline-dressings instead of water-jel/burnshield?

- I didn't see a desinfectant like povidone-iodine, benzalkonium chloride, alcohol swabs. Although they are already in the 'pharmacy', still not a bad idea to carry them in your FAK.

- glucose tabs and O.R.S. might also be a good addition, as would be a small flashlight, hemostat and some tick-tweezers.

- Also, packing a small bottle of saline and a syringe is very good for flushing out dirt

All in all, good FAK cool

(I don't think you wanna know my home-FAK shocked

Edited by JIM (02/20/07 10:57 AM)

#86118 - 02/20/07 03:58 PM Re: Home/BOB FAK [Re: ironraven]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
For those interested, the pack is THE PACK-RAT and is really well built. I've stuffed mine and it didn't burst. I use mine to carry "extra" gear, multi-tools, knives, GPS, flashlights, FAK, 550 cord, et al. Great organizer.

#86139 - 02/20/07 07:25 PM Re: Home/BOB FAK [Re: ironraven]
bassnbear Offline

Loc: Southeast US
Really good FAK. I'd go along with Jim on the tweezers and a light of some kind. Doug's Photon II is a great light for this type of kit. And, I'd add Neosporin or some triple antibiotic ointment, as well as some Betadine or similar.

#86144 - 02/20/07 07:44 PM Re: Home/BOB FAK [Re: JIM]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Tick tweezers, not something I think about in winter. And I always carry a light, so I didn't even think about it. Hence the asking. And I'm pretty sure I'm adding a couple of small pouches to the sling so I can put in providone-iodine wipes.

As for the saline vs burn jels, most burn jels have either aloe or lidocane in them. My sister-in-law would swell up like a ballon and turn scarlet if we used aloe on her, and there is a real possibility that my last living act will be to strangle the sucker who uses any 'cane drug on me. Let's just say I really scared the dentist when I had some work done when I was little.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#86146 - 02/20/07 07:46 PM Re: Home/BOB FAK [Re: OldBaldGuy]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

I was thinking about those, but they have a pretty short storage life, only two-three years IIRC. I was planning on using a dressing pad, but if I'm putting stuff on the outside of this, it might not be a bad idea.

#86154 - 02/20/07 08:06 PM Re: Home/BOB FAK [Re: ironraven]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
Ow yea, another thing:

Despite the red-coloured sling that tells YOU that it is a FAK, I would make sure it's identifiable as a FAK to other people with for example a FAK-patch put on the Packrat

#86168 - 02/20/07 09:30 PM Re: Home/BOB FAK [Re: ironraven]
dchinell Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: FL
I use and like Tick Twisters for removing ticks. I got mine from:

www.vetamerica.com

Here's the exact page, until it changes:

http://www.vetamerica.com/index.asp?Page...2&image.y=9

Bear

#86177 - 02/20/07 10:21 PM Re: Home/BOB FAK [Re: JIM]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

I"ve thought about that, but if I do, I'll probably break a couple more needles and add velcro to the medrat as I did with the bag of tricks a few months ago. 1000D cordura on the outside, 500D on the inside, VERY hard to stitch through. :P

Actually, every one who is has seen it has understood instantly that it is medical gear, but I also color code everything medical in nature red. That, and my jacket is over the bag of tricks so it hard to confuse the two. But I can see the potential issue, particularly with them being twins and getting pudgie.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 249 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.