Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#75165 - 10/19/06 11:09 PM Container find
Misanthrope Offline

Loc: Chicago burbs
One of the other hobbies I have wasted my children's inheritance on is old woodworking hand tools. One of the first skills needed to working with hand planes and chisels is sharpening. Hand tools will not work properly if not sharp, and in the world of woodworking sharpening discussions take on almost theological overtones.

My preferred method is waterstones, which require soaking in, you guessed it, water. During a recent discussion with another rust junky, he mentioned "lock & lock" storage containers available at the local Meijer's for storage of said stones.

I picked a couple of for the woodshop, and noted they locked securely on all four sides, had an internal silicone seal, were fairly sturdy, advertised as water-tight, and had a decent price. They won't take the abuse of a Witz, Pelican, or Otter box, but seem adequate for storage inside a pack or duffel.
[/url] Lock&Lock

Gerry

#75166 - 10/20/06 12:26 AM Re: Container find
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I have a couple of these, and while they are pretty neat storeage containers, I can't really recommend them for inside a pack or duffle, depending on what you have in them of course. I learned the hard way that one packed with your lunch and snacks then placed inside a day pack WILL have one or all of the latches come open from your natural movement, and lunch will end up mixed with the other goodies in your pack...

#75167 - 10/26/06 11:24 PM Re: Container find
jamesraykenney Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Beaumont, TX USA
I have been looking for them for the last year.
Yesterday, I found them at Target...
$1.50 for the largish PSK one...
Picked a few of them up...
Just wrap a couple of ranger bands around them and you should have NO problems with them coming open...

#75168 - 10/26/06 11:38 PM Re: Container find
Anonymous
Unregistered

I found them at Walmart... and with our Bug In stuff stored in a Rubbermaid tub, I'm using them for storing dried food supplies & mixes. The food is in Ziplock freezer bags and stuffed into the Lock containers. They make the Rubbermaid Tub more organized, and the lock containers seem to be holding up well.
I found a knock-off version of them at the local 99 cent store. No where near as durable, but they work to hold misc. stuff (small sewing supplies, etc.).
-T

#75169 - 10/27/06 12:05 AM Re: Container find
Misanthrope Offline

Loc: Chicago burbs
Following your post, I did a quick field test of the containers to see it I could get the seals to open through "natural movement." Threw some old chisels and screwdrivers in one, filled another 1/2 full with water and a sponge. Through both in the ruck or brief case for the next 3 days. Neither one opened.

Are you sure we're talking about the same product?

Gerry

#75170 - 10/27/06 12:50 PM Re: Container find
Ready Offline

For the price and weight, I think they are great. I have been using them in my CamelBak to hold some snacks and another to hold an ice pack, to keep them both from getting crushed. I have not seen one open under normal circumstances. I highly recommend them.

Ready

#75171 - 10/27/06 08:34 PM Re: Container find
hazeywolf Offline

As a side note to food-grade plastic containers, I've noticed that some "nano-tech" plastics are being marketed as having superior food-preserving qualities, though I've not come across any statistcal science to support the claims, or have used them myself. The plastics are imbedded with silver particles, and are said to retard/inhibit bacterial and fungal growth: Article
Sharper Imgae product listed on Amazon

As has been mentioned, a ziplocked plastic bag that's been compressed to remove as much air as possible may be the best feild expedient version of a sterile, vacum sealed container.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Eugene, Jeanette_Isabelle), 234 Guests and 114 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.