Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#68576 - 07/04/06 10:37 PM indermittent LED operation
Dean Offline
Stranger

Loc: Davis, CA
I have a CMG Infinity LED flashlight. Some time ago it developed a problem. I would turn it on and it would work for a period of time, sometime very breifly, and then turn itself off. Yet other times it seems to work okay. I've tried new batteries and have cleaned the contacts in the flashlight as well as the battery. I really like this light but with its intermittent operation I can not rely on it. I can not figure this thing out. Has anyone else had similiar problems with LED flashlights?

#68577 - 07/05/06 12:16 AM Re: indermittent LED operation
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I have not had any trouble with my CMG Infinities, but I've run into some issues with a similar design - the ARC AAA.

Check you battery for damage. Is there a dimple in the bottom from that little bump contact in the bottom of the Infinity? I've had batteries continue to work with this dimple, but some have failed. You can put alot of pressure on a battery with the screw-to-turn-on lights, (this is what causes the dimple), to the point of causing battery failure.

Cleaning contacts is highly recommended. Use a pencil eraser to get the bottom of the Infinity tube. Don't forget to clean the threads where the head screws on too. These can get gunk covered as well, and will cause conductivity problems. I just wad up a Kleenix and stick it in there and twist it around myself, but you would go more hard-core with a toothbrush and some alcohol if needed.

Older ARCs also need to have a "roll crimp" put into the head for reliably. Infinities do not need this AFAIK. Maybe others can answer if they have Infinities that require this modification like older ARC AAA's do.

#68578 - 07/05/06 02:44 AM Re: indermittent LED operation
widget Offline
Addict

I had a very similar problem with a Gerber AAA LED. I actually retired it because I thought it was totally dead. Then one day I picked it up and it came right on. Hmmm. Not sure what the problem is, like you I tried cleaning, battery and all that. I do not consider it reliable and no longer carry it.
I have Peak Matterhorn AAA and it has been fllawless. I plan to buy a few more soon. A great little light, I have the extra power version. Cheers

#68579 - 07/05/06 04:29 AM Re: indermittent LED operation
311 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NY USA
Be careful not to leave residue on the contacts from the pencil eraser. Be sure that it is a new, clean eraser. Electrical contact cleaner is good stuff. This is carried by Ace hardware. I use CRC QD Electronic Cleaner.

#68580 - 07/05/06 06:48 AM Re: indermittent LED operation
LED Offline
Veteran

i had a similar problem with a couple of old original CMG infinities, but that was years ago.

on my arc AAA (old and new one) i've had good results using 91% rubbing alcohol on the contacts and a pencil eraser.

#68581 - 07/05/06 10:00 PM Re: intermittent LED operation
Craig_phx Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
ditto what haertig wrote.

I have had and Infinity Ultra for several years now. It sounds like you have dirty threads. There is a special grease that will maximize the flow of electricity between the body and LED head and make it easier to turn the LED head.

#68582 - 07/06/06 06:52 AM Re: indermittent LED operation
Raspy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Centre Hall Pa
Having had the same or very similar problems with my CMG in most cases a good cleaning like the others have mentioned will usually fix the problem.

But along with cleaning the contacts some times gunk and lint from your pocket will pack into the rim between the body and the head. Since you open this gap to turn the light off if it gets filled up it can keep you from tightening the lid down far enough to make contact. But turning it off and on can disturb this build up to be refilled later in your pocket. This will often cause eradic operation. So if it doesn't want to light try loosening the head and run a thumbnail through the gap.

As a last resort some of the early models were a bit to long or the threads were not deep enough for the battery to make good contact. Even with the head screwed down all the way it was iffy at best weather it would work. Some times you get a battery that is just a hair longer that works great. The reverse of the dimpling problem mentioned. If this is the case you need to shorten the distance. Since you can't actually shorten the case you need to do the next best thing. Cut a disc of aluminum foil the size of the inside of the case. Drop it into the bottom and stick in the battery. Even the thin sheet of foil should give you the extra distance needed. The sheet will wear and need to be replaced. By normally only when changing the battery.

And always remember TANSTAAFL

#68583 - 07/09/06 10:54 AM Re: indermittent LED operation
paulr Offline
Addict

If you've cleaned the contacts, remaining suspcts are the roll crimp and broken traces on the PC board from flexing. Ask over in candlepowerforums how to fix it.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 426 Guests and 33 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.