Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#62897 - 03/26/06 07:51 PM looking for a story on torniquet use
CJK Offline
Addict

Loc: FL, USA
I read something (I believe it was here on ETS) but I can not remember .....it was a story about 2 guys. They were in the field and one had accidently cut himself in the femoral artery. They applied the torniquet to stop the bleeding. It seemed to be the only account of someone using a torniquet appropriately. I would like to find it again to have as a reference. Does anyone know of what I speak and where I can find it?

Thanks for any help.

#62898 - 03/26/06 09:58 PM Re: looking for a story on torniquet use
Coastie09 Offline
I didn't float test my chipping hammer, honest Chief!

Loc: Connecticut
This isn't the offical article that you were looking for, but I know firsthand of a similar story of proper tourniquet usage. A Scout in my troop back home in WV went bike riding with a friend. His friend got out of control down a hill and slid into a guy wire for a telephone pole. The impact with the wire nearly severed the kid's leg mid shin. The Scout ran to a nearby house, told them to call 911 and then aquired a towel and wooden cooking spoon, with which he made a tourniquet upon returning to the kid. The paramedics said that he is the only reason his friend is alive.

Normally, your average, untrained person shouldn't use tourniquets, as limb loss is a near certainty. But in this case, with the limb already severed and hanging only by a tendon to two, a tourniquet was the best method to stop the blood loss. Pressure points, direct compression, and elevation can take care of all but the worst cases of severe bleeding.

I know the link to the above story if you want it, but it's in my local paper's archives that costs like $2 to download. Hope this might help.

#62899 - 03/27/06 03:35 AM Re: looking for a story on torniquet use
Grits Offline
Master Burger Flipper

Loc: Western North Carolina
What about the guy who had the boulder pin his arm to where he had to amputate his lower arm inorder to free himself?

My mother several years ago hyper-extented a knee to the point that the top of the lower leg bones were shattered into three pieces. The ortho doc used a blood pressure cuff to keep "the field" clear of blood while he placed pins and screws in the bones to hold it back together.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.