Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#44199 - 07/18/05 01:54 AM Aluminum foil in a PSK
reconcowboy Offline

Loc: Ohio
I am re-doing my re-do of the PSK again. I am wondering how much foil is really enough? So far I have gotten the following in my Altoids tin:
1 water bag (it's a portion bag like the pet store fish bags)
1 aluminum foil sheet 12 X 36
3 feet of duct tape
10 yds fishing line 8 lbs test
2 small hooks
1 large hook
1 piece of moleskin 2X3
12 half matches taped on razor blade with electrical tape
1 match striker
2 razor blades
2 large safety pins
6 medium safety pins
8 salt tablets
4 600mg Motrin
3 1X3 bandaids
1 packet neosporin
5 10mg valium
1 ferro rod and striker
1 tiny sewing kit
1 large carpet needle
1 small ink pen refill
1 dental filling kit
2 trick candles
1 ceramic knife sharpening rod from a crock stick
- cotton balls packed anywhere 3 or 4
1 small compass
1 mini bic

I was wondering if I need all that aluminum foil or if a 12X12 piece would big enough? I was also wondering how much duct tape and electrical tape is good? Did I leave anything out? I am still working on the water tablets, I am trying to figure out something to put them in safely. I carry a compass on my keys and also a compass on my Camelbak so I was thinking about leaving out the compass in the PSK but it is so small I don't know if it would make a difference. I had a skeltonized swiss army knife in there but I think anything other than the blade is limited use and didn't want to pack all that. I carry a Kershaw with me everywhere, but everyone seems to have a blade in their PSK, would the razor blades be enough? I think I have fire covered with three different fire sources; ferro rod, matches, mini bic. Any other suggestions? I was thinking about sharpening the striker before putting it in there and then using it as a blade, or even just getting a similar sized blade and using that. I was toying with the idea of a Buck 110 blade without the handle part, but I want to save that for a sperate thread. I am trying to think of what to leave out to make room for and LED light and a whistle, but again I carry them on my keys along with a micra and a PST already and the redundancy is good but when is enough too much?

#44200 - 07/18/05 02:19 AM Re: Aluminum foil in a PSK
GoatRider Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Maple Grove, MN
Has anybody successfully boiled water in aluminum foil yet? Particularly with a piece that's been folded up in a PSK? I tried it, and it sprung leaks all over the place.

#44201 - 07/18/05 02:21 AM Re: Aluminum foil in a PSK
reconcowboy Offline

Loc: Ohio
I was thinking of it as more of a fire directional device or for signalling. I guess if I was going to boil water I would use the tin.

#44202 - 07/18/05 04:36 AM Re: Aluminum foil in a PSK
Raspy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Centre Hall Pa
Actually Goatrider I have. The folding does not hurt the foil only repeated folding and unfolding will wear holes in it. The way I have found best to make a pot is to use folding tricks from origami. Makes a very solid pot.

And always remember TANSTAAFL

#44203 - 07/18/05 04:38 AM Re: Aluminum foil in a PSK
Trusbx Offline
addict

Loc: Ed's Country
I've boiled water successfully before with the foil in my tin. It was folded and put in the tin and taken out after some time and the water boiling experiment done. There was some leakage from the edge but was still able to boil water with it. I thought the leakage was more dure to how I folded the cooking vessel rather than the foil springing leaks over the folded edges in the tin.
Then again, I was using HD alu foil and had a 3 ply cooking vessel to experiment with.
I doubt it would survive a refolding after boiling water....

Edited by Trusbx (07/18/05 04:39 AM)

#44204 - 07/18/05 11:24 AM Re: Aluminum foil in a PSK
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
> would the razor blades be enough?

When I experimented with razor blades I decided they were a liability. Very hard to use without cutting yourself, unless you take the time to fashion a handle. Scalple blades are better.

> sharpening the striker

I like using hacksaw blades, broken to fit the tin. It's nice to think you could cut through metal if you had enough time on your hands.

> LED light and a whistle

Redundancy is arguably more important for the light than the whistle, because it's more likely to go wrong - get a flat battery, get wet, get broken, get zapped by an EMP. I think it's more important, too. If you can't see it's hard to do anything else.

I have no idea about the duct tape or foil.

#44205 - 07/18/05 06:28 PM Ritter PSP foil pot.
Craig_phx Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Ritter PSP foil pot.

I took a piece of HD aluminum foil that was 18” x 18”. I wanted to see how I could use the Ritter PSP aluminum foil to boil water. I folded it twice. This made it have four layers. I made it into a square box. I folded the four sides up about half way to make creases. I pulled up the sides and let the corners stick out. I then rolled the foil sticking out on the corners. This made a strong, leak proof container. I then put it over an Esbit stove and boiled water in it.

Anybody have a better solution?

Thanks!

#44206 - 07/18/05 10:16 PM Re: Aluminum foil in a PSK
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yep. I tried making a wire supported one liter pot once, and that failed miserably, but more reasonable sizes no problem.

Still trying to figure out how to fold paper into a pot though.

As for the origional question of how much foil and duct and electircal tape enough, my answer is how much can you put into your kit without sacrificing other items?

#44207 - 07/18/05 11:40 PM Re: Aluminum foil in a PSK
Hutch4545 Offline
dedicated member

Here's a post I made a while back: foil experiment

#44208 - 07/19/05 05:23 AM Re: Aluminum foil in a PSK
Anonymous
Unregistered

This is off the exact subject of your post, but I have been buying three packs of disposab;e cookie sheets, 12" x 18" overall. I cut the rolled edges off and fold them not more than once and lay them flat in the bottom fo my bag. If you lay a peice of kitchen twine in the crease, it prevents the folk from being sharp enough to fatigue the fold line, and the crease is over on the edge of my bag and out of the way. I have not had a problem with poking holes in them because all the gear in my bag is in soft containers (smooth and round).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 195 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by brandtb
04/03/24 08:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.