Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#42554 - 06/28/05 02:30 PM New Doug Ritter Photon
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Just a heads up that we've added another product to the Doug Ritter Gear line of equipment.

I’ve long recommended Photon Micro-Lights®, but I have always thought that a few tweaks would make them even better. The latest Photon Freedom Micro® goes a long way towards meeting my requirements with simplified operation, variable light intensity and water-resistant construction, but my desire to tweak the light to make it better ratcheted up with the introduction of the latest technology Nichia white LED delivering twice the light with the same energy consumption.

More light with no decrease in battery life sounds almost too good to be true. Almost, but not quite; in this case, it really is true. However, brighter is not always better in every respect and the side scatter light from the brighter exposed LED is simply too bright, in my opinion, for comfortable use. Beyond the annoyance and discomfort, it presents a significant detriment to night vision adaptation. The conventional Covert style Photon Freedom Micro® solves the side scatter light problem, but results in too narrow a beam that in my opinion limits its practical usefulness. For most uses the wide area, very even flood illumination surrounding the bright spot of the LED is a significant advantage in finding your way in the dark, reading a map or similar tasks.Collaborating with the Photon’s manufacturer and Aeromedix.com, I have designed the Doug Ritter Special Edition Photon Freedom Micro® with two unique features:

The Doug Ritter Special Edition Photon Freedom Micro® has a protective LED tube that both eliminates sidescatter and protects the LED, while still allowing the general flood illumination that makes for a more practical and useful light. No more sidescatter and a wide area of usable light surrounding the twice as bright main beam. This tube is adapted from the standard covert tube, but is shorter, cut off even with the end of the LED.

The Doug Ritter Special Edition Photon Freedom Micro® is bright yellow colored, not black like the standard Photons, so it’s easy to locate. Whether in your purse, pocket, flight bag or if dropped, the bright yellow makes it a cinch to find. Please note that the yellow color is not integral with the plastic, but is applied in much the same manner as the camouflage coating is applied to the standard Photons. While this is durable, it will scratch if abused, but seems to wear just fine in the pocket with keys and change and the rest that we tend to carry.

The new Doug Ritter Special Edition Photon is available exclusively from Aeromedix.com at: http://www.aeromedix.com/?_siteid=aerome...p;sku=freedomdr

Price is $19.95 and as with all Doug Ritter Gear, part goes to support the Equipped To Survive Foundation.

Edited by Doug_Ritter (06/28/05 04:27 PM)
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#42555 - 06/28/05 04:25 PM Re: New Doug Ritter Photon
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Forgot to mention, as with all Doug Ritter gear, part of the sales price goes to support the Equipped To Survive Foundation.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#42556 - 07/06/05 01:48 AM Re: New Doug Ritter Photon
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Just as an FYI, aeromedix.com has now posted new, updated pictures of the new Photon Freedom Micro®-Light Special Edition by Doug Ritter and its accesories on-line.

I thought the split ring connector shown in the original pictures didn't look like the higher quality quick-clip used in the Freedom, so I contacted aeromedix.com to see what was really on the new light. They just e-mailed me telling me about the updated pics on-line.

Very cool light!!

Edited by KenK (07/06/05 03:39 AM)

#42557 - 07/06/05 11:45 AM Re: New Doug Ritter Photon
Craig Offline

Loc: Collegeville, PA, USA
I am SO ordering one of these next payday.

Pardon me while I mop the drool off my keyboard.

-- Craig

#42558 - 07/06/05 01:14 PM Re: New Doug Ritter Photon
GoatRider Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Maple Grove, MN
I just got mine yesterday- I ordered it from Aeromedix the day Doug announced it on this thread. I like it a lot! The clip it comes with seems particularly useful.

One thing surprised me though- it's not made with yellow plastic, it's made with black plastic and painted yellow. I'm worried about how well the yellow paint will hold up rattling around in my pocket.

#42559 - 07/06/05 02:33 PM Re: New Doug Ritter Photon
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Good observation. When they arrive I think mine will be securely tucked away in my PSPs, so it should do OK.

I've always been a real big fan of brightly colored stuff - especially small stuff - for camping. I think it started when I was a boy and my Dad painted all the tent stakes bright orange. Now I'm always looking for the bright yellow or orange versions of stuff (stakes, flashlights, tools, etc...), though to be real honest I just haven't gotten the courage to buy a brightly colored knife (I got the black mini-Rittergrip ... the full-size Rittergrip didn't have the option - whew!).

#42560 - 07/06/05 02:50 PM Re: New Doug Ritter Photon
GoatRider Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Maple Grove, MN
I like some things to be brightly colored, but the majority of my camping stuff is as neutral colored as I can make it. I think wearing bright colors in the wilderness is like littering. It destroys other people's sense of solitude. Plus, you can get closer to wildlife if you blend in. Even if they know you're there, they don't feel as threatened.

Obviously, for rescue purposes you want some bright stuff. I have disposable, blaze-orange fold-up ponchos for that. And it's nice to have bright tools, as long as you can keep them in your pocket. And if you spend any time outside during beer hunting season, gotta have more blaze orange to wear.

#42561 - 07/06/05 04:43 PM Re: New Doug Ritter Photon
Craig Offline

Black plastic painted yellow?! Wonder if Doug knows about this. I'd think the paint would wear off quickly.

-- Craig

#42562 - 07/06/05 04:51 PM Re: New Doug Ritter Photon
Craig Offline

According to Doug, the "yellow color is not integral with the plastic, but is applied in much the same manner as the camouflage coating is applied to the standard Photons."

So there we have it. The glass-filled nylon housing is NOT yellow. The yellow coloring is applied to the housing much like paint is applied.

It's funny how one's mind thinks. I was thinking the camouflage coloring was "painted" on, but that the other colors were the true colors of the glass-filled nylon.

-- Craig

#42563 - 07/06/05 04:52 PM Re: New Doug Ritter Photon - give review
Craig_phx Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
GoatRider,

Tell us about the light. Doug clams the covert end is shorter than normal and you get more side light but are still not blinded by seeing the LED. Also, is the new LED in fact twice as bright as the old Photons? Do you think the blink mode is useful for signaling aircraft if you needed rescuing?

Thanks!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 449 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.