Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#35818 - 12/29/04 04:10 AM Surefire E1E-HA with KL1 LED head
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
I love this flashlight. It is no bigger then my palm, yet gives off more light with well used batteries then my Inova x5 does with fresh batteries. It makes my photon II's look like they arn't on. The beam is great for an LED, it has a hot center like a regular bulb which tapers out. The light has overspill too like regular incandescant flashlights, it isn't just a spot. The hot center combined with the overspill makes it act very closely to a regular incandescant. It has good throw as well as good flood. The light is so small it rides like nothing in my jeans pocket and it has even replaced my Princeton tech Scout as my headlamp (I use the strap from the scout and clip the light on or clip it on the brim of my hat). It is the brightest LED flashlight I have seen run off one 123 size battery and the battery life is great. I really cant praise this flashlight enough. I paid $105 for the light and head and I can say I really think it is worth it, especially for me who uses a flashlight almost every day.

Pros:
1. Small size
2. Light weight
3. Tough
4. momentary on and constant on
5. pocket clip
6. LEDs last almost forever
7. Checkering on body and ridges on head give it great grip
8. wont roll if dropped
9. lots of light for an LED
10. good hot spot (reach) and flood
11. beam doesn't just go out when battery dies (like incandescants) instead just keeps dulling

Cons:
1. LED not as white as incandescant (greenish/blueish light)
2. Metal body gets cold
3. Expensive
4. Uses expensive 123 batteries (though only 1)

If you are looking for a good EDC flashlight, this is it.

#35819 - 12/29/04 04:31 PM Re: Surefire E1E-HA with KL1 LED head
Mr_Dead Offline

Glad you like it, but a lot of flashlight choice is a matter of taste.

I have the same combo with Z57 "clicky" tailswitch, and to be honest, in that size I much prefer the Nuwai Quantum-III, and that's what I EDC. It certainly has less throw, but I find the broader, much more even beam to be more generally useful for my lifestyle. With the KL1 beam, I end up spending a lot of time panning the small, hot spot around to scan a room. The Nuwai is a little shorter, a little lighter, and a LOT less expensive (I bought two for $80 shipped- call it a third the price or less), which means I don't worry that much about damage or loss. I'll probably sell the E1e/KL1 at some point. With two Q-III's, I can't really justify keeping it.

But if you're out in the wide open spaces a lot, and throw is much more important that useability inside, it's hard to beat.

P.S. CR123 cells can be had for as little as a buck apiece online. For the amount of light delivered, that's less than drug store batteries.

#35820 - 12/30/04 12:44 AM Re: Surefire E1E-HA with KL1 LED head
RayW Offline
Addict

Loc: Orlando, FL
Mr. Dead, thank you. After reading your previous review of the Nuwai Quantum-III i purchased one from http://www.countycomm.com/TM303XLEDLIGHT.htm and it is a very nice light. Small, well made, bright, and resonably inexpensive. It has replaced my Arc LS as EDC.

#35821 - 01/02/05 01:18 AM Re: Surefire E1E-HA with KL1 LED head
Mr_Dead Offline

Quote:
Mr. Dead, thank you. After reading your previous review of the Nuwai Quantum-III i purchased one from http://www.countycomm.com/TM303XLEDLIGHT.htm and it is a very nice light. Small, well made, bright, and resonably inexpensive. It has replaced my Arc LS as EDC.

You're more than welcome. I'm gratified that my amateur-level observations have helped someone here.

#35822 - 01/02/05 05:45 AM Re: Surefire E1E-HA with KL1 LED head
Anonymous
Unregistered

I Agree, my little E1e is a fantastic light. I need to carry a light for work, and I got sick of replacing worn out Mini MagLites so I got a E1e SG but it rolled around and CR123 batteries are expensive here in Australia.
I found some rechargable CR123 Lithium Ion Batteries, but they are 3.6 Volt designed for digital camera use and they blew the globe.
Then I bought a E1e HA with the KL1 which fixed the roll around problem, and the LED works with the rechargable batteries. This reduced the cost of batteries.
The light also fits in the belt holder for my Mini MagLite with room for a spare battery in the base or in my cargo pants I put it one of the Pen pockets with room for 2 spare batteries below it.
The spares are needed for the rechargables because they only last less then half the time, but I keep a stash of normal CR123's around. Tthe recharger works from a plug back in mains power or from the 12V cigarette lighter in the car and it is suprising how much it has saved on battery cost.
The light is fantastic because I can clip it on my shirt collar or to a baseball cap to give light where I'm working and it is slightly brighter than my 3 cell MagLite.
Its the best little light I've ever had, and I think the extra expense was well worth it. There aren't as many to choose from where I live.

Wayne
PS Im a newby and this is my first post.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 390 Guests and 36 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.